Sign in to follow this  
Kees

E34 540i Registry for New Zealand

Hi guys,

A couple months ago I was sitting listening to a Philosophy general education course lecture (compulsory course for uni) absolutely bored out of my mind. While I was pondering everything except what the lecturer was actually saying a bright idea popped into my head: what if I made an e34 540i registry for New Zealand? 

E34 540s are far from a common sight in NZ so I was intrigued as to how many there actually are, and then the statistical break down of automatics and manuals, sedans and Tourings, production year, colours, import history etc. 

So far at last count I have 84 cars on the list! I managed to collate these from the E34 NZ Facebook page, as well as from old Bimmersport posts and then just seeing the occasional one while out and about. There are still quite a few more cars out there though! (There could be up to ~120 according to NZTA stats)

I have been a bit busy with University stuff so I haven't quite finished filling in the colours of all the cars (as this requires using a vin decoder) but most of it is complete. 

Anyway, if you have or know of an E34 540 that isn't on the list, please add it! The registry is on a publicly shared Google Doc:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/105QyKE6a_xYv8p-_R4dSbFnPsJcLvHrYUJ8W2PuhgZU/edit?usp=sharing 

The Google Doc can only be edited on a computer for some reason and if it doesn't work then just leave the plate of your 540 in the comments and I can add it for you.

So far some statistics are: 

8/84 are Tourings
76/84 are Sedans

8/84 are factory 6-Speed Manual
76/84 are Automatic

66/84 are NZ NEW
15/84 are Japan Imports
2/84 are UK Imports
1/86 German Import (Must have been tourist delivery)

1/84 are 1992 (I believe this was a dealer car maybe for Jerry Clayton BMW)
31/84 are 1993
33/84 are 1994
10/84 are 1995
8/84 are 1996
1/84 are 1997 (Was probably MY95 or MY96 and was in storage)

• Like 5

The following cars was exported to New Zealand;
314 Hellrot; 3 cars, 1 MY 1994 and 2 MY 1996 (the later both with M Pack)
276 Avusblau metallic; 3 cars (all with M Pack and all MY 1995)
299 Techno-Violett metallic; 3 cars (MY 1995)
303 Cosmosschwarz metallic; 2 cars (MY 1995)
305 Petrol-Mica metallic; 2 cars (MY 1995)
324 Oxfordgrün metallic; 1 car (MY 1995)
237 Granitsilber metallic; 1 car, MY 1994)
309 Arktissilber metallic; 1 car (MY 1996 with M Pack)
This means that all the six RHD M Sport Package went to New Zealand.
Every car except the 2 last doesn't have Catalyst converter.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, leichtbau said:

The following cars was exported to New Zealand;
314 Hellrot; 3 cars, 1 MY 1994 and 2 MY 1996 (the later both with M Pack)
276 Avusblau metallic; 3 cars (all with M Pack and all MY 1995)
299 Techno-Violett metallic; 3 cars (MY 1995)
303 Cosmosschwarz metallic; 2 cars (MY 1995)
305 Petrol-Mica metallic; 2 cars (MY 1995)
324 Oxfordgrün metallic; 1 car (MY 1995)
237 Granitsilber metallic; 1 car, MY 1994)
309 Arktissilber metallic; 1 car (MY 1996 with M Pack)
This means that all the six RHD M Sport Package went to New Zealand.
Every car except the 2 last doesn't have Catalyst converter.

Thanks for the information! So far I've got the three Techno Violet ones, two of the Hellrot ones (both MY 1996, one of which I was too slow on scoring a few months ago), the final one in Arctic silver and one in Avus blue. I wonder where the rest are hiding! 

What's interesting is I have an Alpine White one on my list which doesn't seem to be on that list which is a bit strange. 

I’m pretty sure I drove a. 540i at the end of ‘92 in Wellington, rego RY?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

No cars with the plate starting RY seem to be on my list, that one must be still out and about waiting to be added to the list!

33 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

Just been going through the list and RY definitely fits as being the plate combination for end of 1992. RY8168 was a random plate I chose and it was registered April 1993 but starting with an 8 would have been near the end of the RY combination run meaning RY most likely started in late 1992. Haven't got one on the list just yet that is RY or previously was RY but if I come across it I'll let you know. There aren't too many blue ones around, was most likely Sorrent Blau, Lazur Blau or Orient Blau if it was dark blue. It was an Automatic right? 

You've already got the two I've owned on there. Wish I never sold/swapped my first one 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 9:48 AM, Gaz said:

You've already got the two I've owned on there. Wish I never sold/swapped my first one 

Which one was your first 540? 

44 minutes ago, Kees said:

Which one was your first 540? 

AFA564 was very mint when I sold it, haven't seen it in a while.

The other was CZZ472. Sold that as it lost reverse 

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

AFA564 was very mint when I sold it, haven't seen it in a while.

The other was CZZ472. Sold that as it lost reverse 

Oh bugger thats unfortunate! Surely its time to get another one.... ? 

Would love one as a daily again, but they aren't a 3k car anymore

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Would love one as a daily again, but they aren't a 3k car anymore

Yeah fair enough, it seems all the tidy ones have been hoarded away. I got mine for 2.5K in November 2020 but it was far from tidy so I've spent thousands getting it back to its former glory. There are a few rougher ones on Trademe for the 3K mark but they would need some decent work to get them looking mint. Looking back at old Bimmersport posts I can't believe in 2013/2014 you could get a mint 540 for 3K with nice wheels and exhaust. 

Great idea Kees.

I see YT2038 has made it to the register which is currently listed on Trademe.  Does anyone in the community have any knowledge of this fine example?

I'm in the market for a 540i but have been tempted by this intriguing 535i.

1 minute ago, JonRP said:

Great idea Kees.

I see YT2038 has made it to the register which is currently listed on Trademe.  Does anyone in the community have any knowledge of this fine example?

I'm in the market for a 540i but have been tempted by this intriguing 535i.

Yup I know who the owner is! He is only selling as he managed to score an amazing deal on a 540i/6 recently and now has 3 e34 540s. Are you part of the E34 Enthusiasts NZ Facebook Page? Personally I would go for the 540 seeing as they are both automatics. 

I followed YT 2038 on TM when the last Dunedin owner sold, I think from memory it got down to around $8k. 

Yes to joining e34 Enthusiasts NZ fb page.  That v12 Touring thread was interesting.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JonRP said:

I followed YT 2038 on TM when the last Dunedin owner sold, I think from memory it got down to around $8k. 

Yes to joining e34 Enthusiasts NZ fb page.  That v12 Touring thread was interesting.

Yes thats right I remember having it on my Watchlist when it was 8K. Seems like its a very nice low km example, which is getting increasingly challenging to find. When I was compiling my registry I found quite a few 540s have their registrations on hold or haven't had a WOF in a few years, so it seems there aren't a huge number being regularly driven anymore.

Yeah the V12 touring is certainly an interesting one! Wouldn't mind owning it myself, would leave quite a few people speechless when they see that V12 under the bonnet of a station wagon. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kees said:

Yup I know who the owner is! He is only selling as he managed to score an amazing deal on a 540i/6 recently and now has 3 e34 540s. Are you part of the E34 Enthusiasts NZ Facebook Page? Personally I would go for the 540 seeing as they are both automatics. 

Was the 540i6 publicly listed? 

Am only aware of two that have sold in the past year - the techno violet one in Auckland and the neglected hellrot red one a few months ago?

Think it was the hellrot one @coop]

Edit: there was the silver one that sold on TM as well.

Edited by leichtbau

Oh yes, that was near the end of 2019 for around $15k? 
Before prices went stupid. 

Edited by coop

@coop @leichtbau

Yes the iS was the 1996 hellrot one that popped up on Facebook Market Place for 5K. It is also an M Package car making it even more rare!

Apparently other than the paint, the car was mechanically in good shape and so was the interior. Of course at 5K there was a huge bidding war because everyone (myself included) wanted the car. The guy selling it was overwhelmed with all the messages and couldn't keep up with what people were keen to pay for it. He had no idea what he owned. He almost sold it for 7K but then the first buyer reneged on the deal due to the state of the paint. I believe it sold for 8.5K in the end, and the new owner is spending more than that on a full glass out respray to restore it back to how it should be. It should look factory fresh once its done! 

Although I missed out on it I'm happy an enthusiast got it and is going to restore it, rather than someone who would use it for skids and just abuse it. Judging by some of the comments on the marketplace ad, there were a few people keen to do the latter with the car :( 

The silver one was for sale in November 2019 and was the last iS to come to NZ. Its a very nice example, I have seen it in person a few times. 

Edited by Kees
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone see nthe Hell red example mentioned that had 20,000kms? I recall hearing about it when it had like 13,000 kms on the clock. Apparently lives in Auckland somewhere.

A friend of mine owns 2 540i's - a hell red and a cosmos schwarz. Great cars. 

• Like 1