Sign in to follow this  
Palazzo

Did someone hit a speed camera van?

11 hours ago, Ghost Chip said:

@jon dee that’s such a disturbing gif. Did anyone survive?

I don't have any information about the outcome. Most likely they all got to go home with scrapes and bruises seeing as there was no impact involved other than with the ground. The video is a great example of the adage... play stupid games, win stupid prizes :)  I saved it years ago because it was such a hard hitting visual. When young people start bragging about the dumb things they do with their mates on the road, they need to see something like this. Of course I'm not suggesting that anyone on this forum would endanger themselves or others by dangerous driving. But with the current popularity of drifting and doing skids, there might be someone you know on a learners licence that needs to see this video !!!

Cheers...

13 hours ago, Ghost Chip said:

@jon dee that’s such a disturbing gif. Did anyone survive?

Yeah in that gif at least one idiot got smashed by the bed of the ute as it rolled.

On 9/3/2021 at 10:57 AM, BreakMyWindow said:

Yeah in that gif at least one idiot got smashed by the bed of the ute as it rolled.

Yup, and one looks like they got thrown inside the cabin and their head popped out of the rear window.

@jon dee Very true. Although, I do think that drifting in a car that has a roll cage, or even just drifting in a car, is way different than doing skids on a ute that has a (?) couch on the bed/tray with multiple people on it. I would’ve got them to buy a lotto ticket if they only went home with scrapes and bruises 😂

1 hour ago, Ghost Chip said:

Although, I do think that drifting in a car that has a roll cage, or even just drifting in a car, is way different than doing skids on a ute that has a (?) couch on the bed/tray with multiple people on it. 

The only point that the cage will help you - unless you're harnessed-in and wearing a helmet - is if you turn it upside down**.  Pretty much every other scenario where it goes remotely wrong sees your head impacting some very hard steel pipe.  Couple that with momentum and you've got fractured skull, brain bleed, and concussion and/or damage.

** and you've probably still whacked your head against the roll cage on the way there.

Drifting a car is all fine until something goes wrong.  You get to figure out how far short your talent deficit was while you tell your insurance company, and hope they're sympathetic to your plight.

I was lucky, I walked out from a rollover that wrote off the car I was a passenger in with just a scratch on my little finger.  YMMV.  Do you want to play the lottery?

• Like 1

@Olaf Fair point. While inherently I find nothing wrong with drifting, I wasn’t at all endorsing for everyone to go out there and do skids/drift. I was merely just saying that what was done in the gif is something else to someone doing donuts.

I’m glad that you got out fine, many others are not so lucky.

Edited by Ghost Chip
  • Like 1

though now - if there was any doubt before, it's gone - you're endorsing drifting. 😐

For the sake of clarity:  no drifting was involved in the rollover I mentioned.  We went from forward motion to rotate 90 degrees/on two wheels sideways in less than half a second... and then bullet time ended and it all sped up.

I can’t really control how people perceive what I’ve written down 🤷🏽‍♂️. I don’t think I can be any clearer without being redundant, and plus we’re going really off-topic here, so I’ll leave it at that.

Although I am a bit curious as to what happened in your rollover. Just lost traction randomly or wet roads or ?

There are good reasons for this regulation...

Land Transport (Road User) Rule 2004 - New Zealand ...

MotorwaysA driver must not stop or park on a motorway except in an area set aside and indicated by a traffic sign as a parking area.

OSH should be looking at this to see if NZTA neglected to provide a safe working environment for the camera van operator.

Cheers...

13 hours ago, Kees said:

https://www.turners.co.nz/Damaged-Vehicles/Damaged-Cars-for-Sale/volkswagen/t6/20443183

Came across this, I believe this is the van that got hit. 

Doesn’t say if the camera is still included, could be a nice money making scheme for someone if it is…-

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Doesn’t say if the camera is still included, could be a nice money making scheme for someone if it is…-

I think you mean SAFETY scheme!! ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1