aramoana

Another decrepit E30 316i coupe being revived (In colour)

Grab a new cap and rotor, those are very tired. You can try cleaning it up by scraping the corrosion off the terminals, but a new one is better.

Decided that any further money spent on this engine will be a futile endeavor, and the ticking is getting quite frustrating. The idles a bit off and ultimately I wouldn't mind more power and more fuel efficiency, so I've found an M42 containing 318ti that I'm going to go pick up tomorrow to harvest components off and then get rid of so I'm not clogging the driveway with BMW's. 

However that then means I have to find an engine jack that I can borrow. Fingers crossed the neighbours or some mates have one. 

Autolign got my butchered Bilstein B8 back to me after it was rethreaded by their race division up in Auckland, set me back $150~ which was nice after mentally preparing myself to fork out the cost of a new one. 

Based on my research, I think I'm going to need to obtain a few things to do the swap smoothly, namely the M44 headers, a Holden steering linkage, since i'll do the Z3 rack at the same time, and some new gaskets. What preventative maintenance needs to be done while I have the m42 out of the car? I'll likely give it the proper treatment at a later date, but as of right now I'm more interested in getting the M42 into the e30. I guess as it stands, the M42 i've found is in good condition at ~150 thou km's and has a wof and rego. Does anyone know If i can swap the e36 dif into the e30?

318ti diff would work with your car but may need flanges etc swapped with E30 stuff worst case. 318ti auto's run a 4.44 diff so you'd have to check the diff tag on yours to see what ratio its running.

As for M42 preventative maintenance - Mess of pipes under the intake manifold and associated gaskets is the big one, followed by the PCV and breather hose, chain tensioner then all the usual stuff like oil gaskets\seals, intake boots, drivebelt parts, cooling system parts and hoses. Depends on how far you want to go. 

Definitely in for a Cert for the M42 swap.  Cheaper to buy a cap and rotor, give it an oil change, and put some MBL8 in there.

23 hours ago, Eagle said:

318ti diff would work with your car but may need flanges etc swapped with E30 stuff worst case. 318ti auto's run a 4.44 diff so you'd have to check the diff tag on yours to see what ratio its running.

It'll be running a 4.27, standard factory ratio for an M40 316i with manual.

Got the repaired Bilstein B8 back from Autolign and into the car last night. Our garage opens onto the street as so I've had lots of people stopping by talking to me about their E30 stories, and I've heard some quite good ones now. A really iconic car across generations it seems. 

Anyway, just as I was putting the wheel back on and getting ready to take the car for a shake down, a blue e30 ripped past on our street sounding like a cut cat. Nice colour too. Then they turned around and ripped back past the other way, but this time one of the occupants looked to the side and saw me and my E30 and hollered in camaraderie. They circled back and pulled up and lo and behold, its my neighbour-ish and the guy I bought an Alternator off! He had just got his m52b28 swapped e30 working and was taking the neighbour for a ride and I got to have a ride in it. Holy moly is that thing quick. The 2.8 absolutely rips. 

Which got me thinking. I'm not going to buy the m42 and associated bits just yet. I think I'll get it looking pretty first (full respray, panel beating, not in that order) and then if im up for it, I'll start looking at an engine swap. While not brilliant, the m40b16 in there at the moment still has enough juice in it to make me grin ear to ear, and thats good enough for me. I wouldn't mind a limited slip though... Does anyone have any guidance on what diff I should be seeking out? I'd realistically prefer a lower ratio diff for better highway cruising, but I'm unsure of my options. 

Don't see any point in changing it myself. A M40 is never going to be great on the open road and going lower ratio is sacrifice what little acceleration you already have.

• Like 1

Eagle is right. You probably don't want to mess with your ratio with the little m40b16. You could go to a 4.1 which is what the m40b18s run. 

Lsds are getting expensive these days, and if you're wanting to do a swap, you'd be looking most likely at a medium case of some ratio.

Though you'll see in the link below the m42 e30s ran a 4.1 small from the factory. 

I run a 3.64 behind my m52 swap with a getrag 240.

https://www.e30zone.net/e30wiki/index.php/Differential

Interesting read!!, I have an E30,318 with an M42 swap, previous owner, a member on here, did an interesting mod, slotted the inlet cam, made an adaptor on his lathe, in his garage & runs the rotor & distributor cap, off the inlet, ca, doing away with modifying, adapting ECU & wiring looms

• Like 1