Sign in to follow this  
Dogballs

E46 325i manual ** SOLD **

My nephew needs to regretfully sell his pride and joy, so I'm putting it out here for feed back on value etc, and seeing if there is any interest from members before throwing it out to trademe etc..

This is a well spec'd example and of course has had a manual conversation performed by myself, as well has some other essential retrofits..

The manual conversion has the 330i Getrag S5D 320 with the 2.93 ratio diff and driveshaft. It has a new clutch kit from a 328, all stock parts so no mod cert required. (done approx 10k ago.)

The cooling system has a new radiator, thermostat and manual gearbox parts fitted (trans cooler removed) when converted, including the electric fan only as per original manual cars. 

Just replaced the alternator bearings and regulator.

New tyres front and rear.

New battery about a year ago.

Retrofitted stuff:

Navigation Mk4 unit and latest maps etc,

Reverse camera,

Rear park sensors,

Bi-xenon headlamps,

BlueBus Bluetooth phone / audio streaming.

Style 71 club sport wheels, (reps)

** This is an interesting spec'd E46 with rear passenger airbags in the doors, non folding rear seats, and headlight washing with halogen lights from factory! - Australian version ??

known "issues" to note; slight oil leak from sump - not serious at this stage, but will need looking at in the future, and front bumper has had a knock and needs repair with new fog lamp. - see pic.

I was thinking around the $8000 mark..  thoughts? - (yes, I know, it should have been washed with some decent photos.. )

From the Vin Decoder:

ET36
325i
Europe
E46 (4FL)
Sedan
right
M54
2.50 l
141 kW
Rear-Wheel Drive
automatic
Alpinweiss 3 - 300
Leder Montana/basis-ausst./schwarz - N6SW BMW AG
Rosslyn, South Africa
2004-06-02 (Wednesday)

204  Drive Version Export

205  Automatic Transmission

210 Dynamic Stability Control (dsc)
226 Sports Suspension Settings
249 Multi-function For Steering Wheel

261 Side Airbag For Rear Passengers

338 M Sports Package Ii
354 Green Stripe Windscreen
411 Window Lifts, Electric
428 Warning Triangle
441 Smokers Package
473 Armrest, Front
481 Sport Seats F Driver/front Passenger

495 3. Headrest Rear Centre
502 Headlight Washer System

520  Foglights

521  Rain Sensor

534 Automatic Air Conditioning
548 Speedometer With Kilometer Reading

550 On-board Computer
5AB Brake Force Display, Deletion
602 On-board Monitor With Tv
640 Car Telephone Preparation
650 Cd Player
672 Cd Changer Bmw For 6 Cds
710 M Leather Steering Wheel
716 M Aerodynamics Package Ii
724 Edition Sport
760 Individual High-gloss Satin Chrome

772 Interior Trim Alu Black Cube

775 Individual Roof-lining Anthracite

785 White Direction Indicator Lights

788 M Lt/aly Wheels
810 Australia Version
818 Main Battery Switch

823 Hot Climate Version
825 Radio Control Oceania
832 Battery In Luggage Compartment

853 Language Version English
864 Overseas/dealer Directory
876 Radio Frequency 315 Mhz
880 English / On-board Documentation

925  Shipping Protection Package

926  Spare Wheel

962 Number Plate Holder Front, Deletion

991 Pre-series Management

IMG_6316.JPG

IMG_6317.JPG

IMG_6318.JPG

IMG_6319.JPG

IMG_6320.JPG

IMG_6321.JPG

• Like 4

Gl with the sale, the TM photos are far more flattering than the original ones here.

And just to be that guy, be very careful claiming it doesnt need a cert for the manual conversion, because it does. Someone can pull you up on that claim if they buy it and fail a wof for not having a cert.

• Like 1

Nice car, good luck. I'm just really here to say how much I appreciate that firewood stacking in the shed in the background :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, KwS said:

Gl with the sale, the TM photos are far more flattering than the original ones here.

And just to be that guy, be very careful claiming it doesnt need a cert for the manual conversion, because it does. Someone can pull you up on that claim if they buy it and fail a wof for not having a cert.

Thanks for the feed back- yeah original pics are terrible. 
as for the conversation cert. It is NOT required as ALL parts are OE. This is confirmed with NZTA and LVVTA. 
If you have been given a different interpretation- unfortunately it was incorrect. Please check with NZTA. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Cement said:

Nice car, good luck. I'm just really here to say how much I appreciate that firewood stacking in the shed in the background :D

Thanks.. I’ve been monitoring the stack for a while now, and it’s not splitting itself up and or self loading into the shed… looks like I’ll have to do it again.. 

7 hours ago, Dogballs said:

as for the conversation cert. It is NOT required as ALL parts are OE. This is confirmed with NZTA and LVVTA. 
If you have been given a different interpretation- unfortunately it was incorrect. Please check with NZTA. 

Oh Gosh, this old chestnut. 
Do you have this in writing that the cert isn't required from NZTA and LVVTA?

LVVTA website:
https://www.lvvta.org.nz/knowledge_base.html
"Does an auto to manual gearbox conversion require certification?
Yes, all gearbox conversions require certification as the braking system has usually been affected with alteration or modification to the brake pedal-box."

Here's where it can come down to interpretation: 
Good old NZTA guidelines, as you say, proving it's all OE.
https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/miscellaneous-items/engine-and-transmission?fbclid=IwAR2-FTQGwnolB46UxVLJzpvmfvM4GcOm8R2muIhXQ_lnAQ-eapQKIpetT44#tab2

However, good old LVVTA interpret OE as OE to the vehicle in question.
https://www.facebook.com/LVVTA/posts/does-my-auto-to-manual-conversion-require-cert-even-if-im-using-oem-componentsth/2381117905319025/
It has been discussed a few times, and to take a clear example from the comments:

image.png.74345881d1a2953d2319afcfe0b41469.png

In summary, yes LVVTA say you need a cert for your manual conversion.
Will you fail a wof on it? Probably not if you've actually done it well.

What will insurance say in event of an incident?
Well that will be fun for someone to figure out, because LVVTA say it needs a cert.

• Like 3

Unfortunately Nick is correct. As much as it sucks, that's the long and short of it. 

Luckily, it's not very expensive to get a cert, and by using OE parts it's easy peasy 

My personal experience was it was required per my LVVTA certifier (supported by any resource I could find online)

So mine is done to the letter of the law - I did need cert for adjustable suspension anyway.

Is it a 'real world' issue? probably not - really depends how much faith you have in your insurer - I highly doubt WOF guys or cops would ever know or care.

Anyways, looks like a nice car - GLWS!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dogballs said:

My point is more that a cert is definitely required (you dont even need to check with NZTA, other users have done it for you) and if you sell it claiming it isnt, then the buyer is well within their rights to have you up for misrepresenting the car.

Interesting. I had the misfortune to have some dealings with LVVTA a few years ago. From this I learned that LVVTA will not accept a product in NZ even though that same product is manufactured by a reputable company, sold worldwide, and accepted without question in (for example) the USA and Australia. It seems that LVVTA in the negative fashion typical of NZ regulatory authorities, is happy to ban brand new product made with the latest materials and CNC techniques, while approving local equivalents cobbled up from 30 year old components salvaged from wrecks.

I wonder why a pissant little country like NZ has to set the bar higher than than every one else ? Why do we feel the need to micro manage and regulate every tiny detail by simply saying... "its a safety matter"... as if that eliminates the need for any further justification ? We already have OSH determined to eliminate industrial accidents by levying huge fine on companies to show how much authority they have. It is as if they believe that they can eliminate risk by regulating it out of existence. They are adding crushing costs to virtually every industry... and it is no wonder that manufacturing is going offshore. Soon we will be a nation of shopkeepers selling imported goods plastic souvenirs to tourists, that is if anyone can actually get into the country through the MIQ system. It's all very depressing...

I think we are rapidly approaching the point when we will actually need a Ministry for Compulsory Fun !!!

Cheers...

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

17 hours ago, nick496 said:

It has been discussed a few times, and to take a clear example from the comments:

image.png.74345881d1a2953d2319afcfe0b41469.png

In summary, yes LVVTA say you need a cert for your manual conversion.

I think, following the logic of that conversation, any modification would require a cert lol

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2021 at 11:32 AM, Dogballs said:

as for the conversation cert. It is NOT required as ALL parts are OE.

Ahh yes, "OE" and "OEM" the two most widely mis-used terms in the automotive world.

12 hours ago, jon dee said:

I wonder why a pissant little country like NZ has to set the bar higher than than every one else ? Why do we feel the need to micro manage and regulate every tiny detail by simply saying... "its a safety matter"... as if that eliminates the need for any further justification ? We already have OSH determined to eliminate industrial accidents by levying huge fine on companies to show how much authority they have. It is as if they believe that they can eliminate risk by regulating it out of existence. They are adding crushing costs to virtually every industry... and it is no wonder that manufacturing is going offshore.

I think this is an unfortunate side effect of the "Kiwi Ingenuity" or "number 8 wire mentality" where many Kiwis are happy to have a go a fixing / improving things that are well beyond their capabilities. Personally I have seen some absolute horrors in my time, some of which have resulted in serious acciddents, and many by people who were in the trade and should have known better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackie said:

I think, following the logic of that conversation, any modification would require a cert lol

Yes, there are a few interesting conversations about that on that Facebook thread. Such as "what if I leave my brake pedal alone, and have the wide pedal" 

"what if I replace my brake booster, would I need a cert for that?" 

5 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I think this is an unfortunate side effect of the "Kiwi Ingenuity" or "number 8 wire mentality"

I don't think that anyone is going to argue against having modified vehicles inspected to ensure that they adhere to decent design and engineering standards. Pretty much everyone who is into cars has come across dodgy workmanship and mods that make them cringe. So yes, by all means try and keep unsafe vehicles off the road.

However, the point that I am trying to make is that LVVTA simply refused to even look at approving a quality product designed by an experienced suspension engineer and made by an OEM supplier of suspension components to several major vehicle manufacturers. Rather than use their own in house resources and experience to evaluate the product for safety, they totally opted out by saying if you want to bring it into the country it is up to you or your supplier to convince us that it meets our standards. To do that samples would have to be supplied for destructive testing, manufacturers test certificates would need to be provided for the steel used, heat treatment and metallurgy etc.

No other country in the world asked for this level of information, and as the sales potential for the product in NZ was low, the manufacturers simply were not interested in humoring the over zealous demands from LVVTA. And here is the kicker... it is OK to use the product in question on a race car where it would be subject to far more abuse than on a road car. The problem as I see it is that LVVTA is hiding behind a wall of petty regulations to try and protect itself from liability issues. Good for them but bad news for anyone modifying a vehicle using quality components and sound engineering practices.

I believe this attitude is a rub off from big brother NZTA who is currently managing to piss off large sections of the road transport industry with their arrogant attitude, lack of clear direction, lack of consultation and general incompetence. But that, dear readers, is a story for another day :)

• Confused 2

You're absolutely right there. I've had to replace very nice brackets made of 6061-t6, done by CNC for hand made mild steel ones, with tacked on spacers to pass a cert. The beautiful irony was these brackets were on the car when it was built in 2001, and subsequently functioned as a track car up until 2 years ago when we started getting it road legal. 

Needless to say, the 10mm mild steel brackets I made have been replaced with the original set now. 

It's an absolute piss take sometimes 

• Like 1

Where are we at with the whole, "you must have a hoop fitted around the driveshaft" debacle?  I won't go near a certifier if they're still going to pull that crap.  If someone can put me in touch with a certifier that isn't going to be a dick about this, I'd be happy to pay the money to get my car certified, but my little country garage will keep giving me warrants in the meantime. 

The official requirements are here: https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_07-2016_Drive-shaft_Safety-loop_Requirements.pdf

Basically, if you've only done a manual swap, and used factory parts for it, you shouldn't require driveshaft hoops.

"Interchangeable drive-shafts: In the case of a vehicle which has had a bolt-in OEM (original equipment manufacturer) model variant engine or transmission conversion, or a bolt-in OEM model variant turbocharger/supercharger addition, a driveshaft safety-loop is not required provided that documented proof is provided by the vehicle manufacturer or their agent, verifying that all drive-shaft components are identical between the two vehicles, and that the drive-shaft remains unmodified."

• Like 3