Sign in to follow this  
Brianr70

130i overheating!!

On 2 random occasions the lovely 130i decides to overheat going up hills ...goes into limp mode !!!!...otherwise engine temp is usually normal...use the heater full blast helps with temp coming down....I wonder what's the issue? 

Git her scanned, could be water pump/thermostat/cooling service time.

• Like 2

The pumps normally throw intermittent hissy fits before complete failure, which results in a calling a tow truck. As above, scan it and fix it before having to call the tow truck. 

did the water pump test and seems to be pumping ok, had a steady flow coming into the header tank, so i guess a scan is next .

Yeah I am interested in what you find so that when mine does it I know what to do.

Also have scanners if you end up in the Wairarapa.  But as hills make it over heat..

On 9/13/2021 at 10:50 PM, NZ_InFerno said:

Did you get this sorted @Brianr70? I can scan it for ya

No not as yet, if you would be able to scan it  that would be great 😀

Big thanks to NZ Inferno for scanning the car and got these fault codes: - looks like time for a new water pump and thermostat 

image.thumb.png.83235d4c799d8d8585b7ad945d052b86.png

image.thumb.png.32a8d512be3f950d7ed8586e5b1fa596.png

Dont put an ebay waterpump in it :D , get a pierburg and decent thermostat and same time. Make sure you get the ali bolts and some BMW coolant too, FCP do a kit of the whole lot for good price.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-water-pump-replacement-kit-n51-n52-n52n-oem-11517586925kit

Edited by Jacko
  • Thanks 1

Is this what I should be looking at ? i guess the $$$ are USD and to anticipate GST upon arrival?

image.thumb.png.4e20aafc46875912e85eca01373973f0.png

3 minutes ago, Brianr70 said:

Is this what I should be looking at ? i guess the $$$ are USD and to anticipate GST upon arrival?

image.thumb.png.4e20aafc46875912e85eca01373973f0.png

Thats listed as kit for E70 X5 N52? Whats your VIN?

WBAUD52020JM27512 or this:

image.thumb.png.13e6533bc438c3aa3cdeb84f8438207c.png

Edited by Brianr70
  • Like 1

This is the right kit for your car - https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-water-pump-replacement-kit-n51-n52-n52n-oem-11517586925kit

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=UD52-EUR-10-2007-E87N-BMW-130i&diagId=11_3754

I have yet to be charged GST on arrival on stuff from FCP with FEDEX, with the change in GST legislation more stuff seems to be coming through than used to without being stung by tax man (its like they assume all the sellers are applying it now....). Most FEDEX orders seems to be going Honolulu-Aussie-NZ at the moment, so takes roughly 7 days to arrive Vs the 3ish pre-rona.

Edited by Jacko
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Brianr70 said:

Thank you 🤙

No worries, you'll need a little torque wrench for the ali bolts (10Nm + 90 degrees), a battery charger and ideally something to trigger the bleed cycle (ISTA/Protools etc, you can also do it manually but). Its not a bad job, just a bit messy and fiddly, dropping the front antiroll bar etc to help with access makes a big difference. 

• Thanks 1

can u actually get the coolant from FCP?

I think you better get the parts separate without the coolant and get that locally. not sure if they can ship liquid stuff.

Yeah it ships fine, ive got 3 of those kits through FCP now with no issues. 

Latest order from FCP has PS fluid in it, and that appears to be fine to ship too (so far anyway)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, qube said:

can u actually get the coolant from FCP?

I think you better get the parts separate without the coolant and get that locally. not sure if they can ship liquid stuff.

they certainly used to, though freight etc ++ pricey (when shipping the liquid stuff), so as you say, get the coolant locally.

Edited by Olaf