Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

M5 Touring Auction

L4 at the moment, so a ballsy move to drop c. $40K sight unseen, esp as the seller has skirted the rod bearing question previously (I believe)?

I guess the seller is really feeling the pinch, there were bidders getting close to $50K without reserve being met in previous attempts to sell were there not. Will have this on a second screen with the AB's second half.

Edit: awful car or massive market correction??

Edited by leichtbau

there is a 13k bill from the main dealer so either SMG clutch or bearings. i'm moderately interested but tripling the fuel bill might be a stretch. depreciation would be less though

• Like 1

No takers

The numerous marks and damage to the front bumper is taking thousands off this (which isn't reflected in the price), not only is it stuff to repair right off the bat, it doesn't send a positive message to its quality of life.  If it was me I would either run it as an auction starting way lower or fix that bumper.  

I think the Touring bumps the price by 15-20% if you find a buyer. At the current price, they are looking for nearer 35% premium, at which point one could buy an M5 Sedan and a 550i Touring and just have their cake and eat it.

Edited by Kodachrome
  • Like 1

The flipside of that viewpoint is "it's honest, I'm not hiding anything, there's a table full of main dealer receipts, you can see yourself in the side paint.  It's a high-speed touring machine and traveling on NZ roads attracts stone chip at the front; it's not a museum piece as I've travelled the country with my family.  You can see what you're buying, and take it to your trusted painter, or just enjoy it".

If I had the courage to own the totally brilliant e6x M5/M6 - and a garage to put it in, I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

• Thanks 1

I would say this is good buying at that price, assuming it is as described. BMW only made 222 of these in rhd so its an opportunity that may not come along again for quite some time, and it is not beyond saving ( get rid of that terrible looking towbar and replace the front bumper)

Yes it is more expensive than a sedan, it should be, it is a lot rarer, and yes you could get other arguably better cars for the money, but what you can't get is another naturally aspirated 500hp V10 rear wheel drive station wagon!!

• Like 4

@aja540i do you know if the E6x M5 was homologated for a towbar? It actually adds to the appeal for me (bikes / trailers etc) but would replace with the Westfalia detachable assuming it fits...

11 minutes ago, balancerider said:

@aja540i do you know if the E6x M5 was homologated for a towbar? It actually adds to the appeal for me (bikes / trailers etc) but would replace with the Westfalia detachable assuming it fits...

Should have been.  Seen many in the states with tow bars.
It's just an E60.  Which are amazing for towing.  The gearbox is nothing unique.  My only concern would be how jerky it would be pulling away from a stop.  They are bad enough without anything behind them.

17 minutes ago, balancerider said:

I have one on mine, its from a wrecked E60 and bolts straight on, its the Westfalia detachable type and the polystyrene foam inlay in the boot has a slot for the tongue so I assume its meant to have a towbar!! ;)

It tows fine if you use manual mode, mine burnt up a bit of clutch but it was moving away from a stop up a steep driveway with a 1.8 tonne digger behind it, its absolutely fine with my small trailer with half cubic metre of builders mix in it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Olaf said:

The flipside of that viewpoint is "it's honest, I'm not hiding anything, there's a table full of main dealer receipts, you can see yourself in the side paint.  It's a high-speed touring machine and traveling on NZ roads attracts stone chip at the front; it's not a museum piece as I've travelled the country with my family.  You can see what you're buying, and take it to your trusted painter, or just enjoy it".

If I had the courage to own the totally brilliant e6x M5/M6 - and a garage to put it in, I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

Great point. Hmm.. see the thing is Im shopping for a fast wagon and trying to convince my self this isnt the BMW Im looking for ! ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kodachrome said:

Great point. Hmm.. see the thing is Im shopping for a fast wagon and trying to convince my self this isnt the BMW Im looking for ! ;)

What else would you get, really? :)

18 minutes ago, aja540i said:

What else would you get, really? :)

Lol, right now Im leaning towards paring my expectations down a bit (ok a lot) but protecting my wallet and looking at newer F11 Touring 535i or a tuned 528i!

Definitely a unique car for 38.5K. I think the issue is that the vast majority of us would see it as a weekend toy. This is because its getting close in price to an early F10 M5 which I think is largely the issue as an F10 would be a far better daily driver and doesn't have the reputation for astronomical maintenance bills, while still being a full fat M car. And if looking exclusively for a weekend toy the E92 M3 exists...

Given the rarity I think the price is fair and I doubt another one will come to the market in NZ for less, its just its a limited market. I definitely think this M5 Touring has good potential for value gains especially when more and more EVs hit the market and people crave one of the most ludicrous wagons to ever come out of Germany (along with the C6 RS6). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kees said:

This is because its getting close in price to an early F10 M5 which I think is largely the issue as an F10 would be a far better daily driver and doesn't have the reputation for astronomical maintenance bills

I wouldn't compare the two, the V10 is in it's own league. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Michael. said:

The engine is definitely special but in terms of using the car every day I think most people would choose a twin turbo V8 that is more powerful, reliable and economical, especially when its paired with a DCT rather than an SMG and only a 10-15% price difference. V10 all day as a special weekend driver over the F10 though. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Michael. said:

They are both BMWs and M5s.   Its special yes, but the league its in vs the V8 Twin Turbo that succeeded it objectively worse in every performance metric. I just watched CarWow's E61 M5 vs RS6 C6 and MB E55 Wagon drag race and.. um, not a great result for the M5 other than it sounded great.  Whats nice about the E6x M5 V10 however is the exclusivity, I kinda feel the Twin Turbo V8 in the new 550i is not really that different than its M5 V8 sibling. You could easily tune the 550i to M5'ish levels.

PS: The cheapest RS6 on TM: https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/audi/rs6/listing/3249481444?bof=ADRbXP9x

Edited by Kodachrome

4 hours ago, Michael. said:

Luckily, someone else has done the work so you don't have to!  BMW Car Club NZ magazine DIXI had an excellent article a couple of issues back where an owner compares the e63 M6 with the F13 M6.  

I was fortunate enough to enjoy a brief drive of them both.  The e63 is fabulous, visceral, unique, a great experience.  The F13 is more powerful, waaaay quicker, smoother, a supreme experience.  Two sensational and exciting cars, with different characters; many of the differences not aparrent until you get behind the wheel.

That's about on the money.  If the SMG, economy and parts prices weren't so bad then it would be a better prospect.

I look at cars differently I guess, I am more interested in a car that has an unique appeal, not generic. That usually means it's an older naturally aspirated model free of modern technology like internet connectivity and apple car play. I especially prefer older models of cars without turbos, unless diesel. A straight 6 M3, V8 M3 or V10 M5 is always going to be far more interesting to me and worth the pros & cons of maintenance than any newer model is with their turbos and saturated technology, yeah it might be faster and more reliable for now since newer but I don't really find that argument that interesting. A V10 M5 is older so it's obviously going to need work, which is half the fun of owning an old car, to spend time and money working on it. A car that needs no service work is a kind of hell to me! Besides all that with 500hp an M5 V10 already a very fast car, heck I think anything that can do a 13 second 1/4 mile is fast, as long as it's built well and sound nice are my key points of a car appealing or not. I can appreciate other people might want a newer maintenance free model, of course, that's the majority of newer car buyers,.

The Venn diagram crossover between wagon owners and people who want to work on their car I think is smaller than for other body styles

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm very happy to be in that sub section, it means I tend to prefer more interesting cars, not necessarily better, but more interesting.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The work you are going to do on an M5 is not going to be fun work I can tell you that.  If it's not bearings or SMG then you are going to be swapping $1000+ modules which shouldn't be failing in the first place.  I can think of at least 10 modules off the top of my head.

Interesting and capable car for sure, but...

Edited by GorGasm
  • Like 3