Sign in to follow this  
Isaac1234

Supercharger kit available? M5x engine

On 9/19/2021 at 9:05 AM, Greenday694 said:

Sorry I'm late to the party. I'm Keith of KC design concept - Hyde Motor Works. 

Nice to see Hyde's super duper chargers scaling and new roles developing within the business. Commercially though, maybe a new PR manager might be a good move?

hAtErS r gUnNa h8

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Greenday694 said:

All these attacks on his character based on hearsay don't belong on this forum.

They are not hearsay - thats the whole point.

I have the screenshots to prove it, and he's been kicked off multiple forums.

You seem like a nice guy, Keith. I wish you well.

• Like 1

Oh no! Now look what you’ve gone and done, I’ve just got a PM threatening legal action if all the nasty things people have said aren’t removed.

@Nobimmer I blame you personally for this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 9/11/2021 at 7:34 PM, The H. Behemoth said:

Hi Doug, I wouldn't be too dismissive. Having seen a few hundread installations that typically are setup to make 8PSi or more...and these having run on 3.2L Engines that have been in enough races. The M54B30 is nothing special apart from having 15mm longer headbolts. The M90 is the same size as the SC14? A lot of factors come into play, and a M122H that produces 600+ HP on a 5.8L Ford modular engine is 2L.

A lot of factors come into play and for a mesely 300HP at the crank, I would not invest my money on anything but a M62 (1L) or SC14. The M90's would cost and arm and a leg. An SC14 with a 80mm pulley will be all you need for 8PSI +.

Here are some maths, ;) …

Wow this is so informative! sorry to jump on the bandwagon so late on my own post but thank you for this information!

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
Monster quote removed

Man I dont know what happened to this post I just wanted some basic information on a good direction for my build but its turned political like some reddit post...  on a side note anyone selling an SC14 supercharger I ended up buying the HMW kit.

If you dont have anything good to say just keep it to yourself please

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Isaac1234 said:

on a side note anyone selling an SC14 supercharger I ended up buying the HMW kit.

Would be cool if you could make a build thread for the install as I think that there will be a few people contemplating adding a s/c to get a bit more out of their car. In particular I am interested in what kind of tuning hardware and/or software you end up using.

As has been mentioned, the SC14 is an old school Roots-type blower and they do get hot, so having full control over fuel and ignition is key to keeping your engine safe. Toyota equipped the SC14 with a clutch to disable the blower during cruise and when the engine ECU was not calling for boost. Some folk do away with the clutch, in which case you would want a bypass valve to unload the blower when out of boost. Throttle before blower or after blower etc.

How you handle these kind of things is another part of an s/c install that is sure to generate a lot of interest and good advice :)

Cheers...

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 11:25 AM, Isaac1234 said:

on a side note anyone selling an SC14 supercharger I ended up buying the HMW kit.

Is one for sale on market place in Invercargill for $300 

24 minutes ago, euroriffic said:

Is one for sale on market place in Invercargill for $300 

Oh sweet ill have a look thank you!

27 minutes ago, jon dee said:

Would be cool if you could make a build thread for the install as I think that there will be a few people contemplating adding a s/c to get a bit more out of their car. In particular I am interested in what kind of tuning hardware and/or software you end up using.

As has been mentioned, the SC14 is an old school Roots-type blower and they do get hot, so having full control over fuel and ignition is key to keeping your engine safe. Toyota equipped the SC14 with a clutch to disable the blower during cruise and when the engine ECU was not calling for boost. Some folk do away with the clutch, in which case you would want a bypass valve to unload the blower when out of boost. Throttle before blower or after blower etc.

How you handle these kind of things is another part of an s/c install that is sure to generate a lot of interest and good advice :)

Cheers...

Hey I was thinking about doing a build thread and showing my progress, im just in the process of gathering a few more parts - the biggest hurdle Im going through at the moment is how I am going to run the plumbing as Im going to use an intercooler since im running the 80mm pulley from HMW so there wont be any clutch mechanism. This would be my first big build project so theres going to be mistakes and problems I run into along the way - Im doing as much research as I can so the expenses are kept at a minimum and Ive created a spread sheet with all the purchases I have made thus far.  Im planning on running the throttle body before the blower with the relocation kit provided by HMW. I know Im going to have to relocate a few things but I cant get into the process of spending more money until I have the brackets and supercharger bolted on so I get a good idea of how to route certain things.

But once I get that part installed Ill start a build thread and show all the f**k ups and process along the way.

Ill be using the stock ECU (MS43) and ill go the remote tuning route. Ive been looking into a company called Chaos Calibrations to do the tuning but we'll see how it goes in the future. 

• Like 2

Ill be using a recirculating valve for sure,  inbetween the throttle body and maf, they say to us the bigger 32mm valve but I might stick to 25mm. - Im not a fabricator unfortunatley so alot of the parts will be sourced.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
  • Like 1

Yeah... you need to figure out everything you need (or might need) and put it down on paper first. Solving problems is a lot cheaper when it is just at the sketch on paper stage. If I had done that I would not have bought two different bypass valves and discovered that neither of them could do what I needed. After some serious googling I ended up re-purposing a valve from a junkyard Subaru Legacy turbo that turned out to be perfect for my application !!!

I know all about making mistakes :D

Cheers...

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 4:44 PM, jon dee said:

Yeah... you need to figure out everything you need (or might need) and put it down on paper first. Solving problems is a lot cheaper when it is just at the sketch on paper stage. If I had done that I would not have bought two different bypass valves and discovered that neither of them could do what I needed. After some serious googling I ended up re-purposing a valve from a junkyard Subaru Legacy turbo that turned out to be perfect for my application !!!

I know all about making mistakes :D

Cheers.Ah it sucks, especially when you have to find out the hard way but its good you found out you could source one cheap from another car!

Doesn't really bother me... it's all part of the learning process. I was doing a conversion that as far as I could discover, no-one else had ever done anywhere. So I had no reference installation and had to nut everything out for myself. Pretty much a full custom build from the ground up, and of course none of the bits I needed to make it work were readily available. Just simple things like tight radius 2-1/2" ali bends had to made from donuts sourced from Aussi.

Long, slow process but there was a lot of satisfaction in seeing it through to completion. Tackling a project that is outside of your comfort zone is a is a real test of character !! But so worth it when you are driving the finished result 😎

Cheers...

• Like 1

I have the same setup, so any questions fire away. I can’t take the credit for putting it all together, that was another member. I just dropped it into my compact 

289BA36B-7ED4-4EB8-AD13-DC8F81A8A7F6.jpeg

• Like 4

19 hours ago, euroriffic said:

I just dropped it into my compact.

Oh wow cool setup! Is it street legal?