Sign in to follow this  
Isaac1234

Supercharger kit available? M5x engine

Certainly a bit tight in there. I managed to fit it with my own brackets, with a small PWR barrel cooler under the manifold. 

All up, with water meth and intercooler, you could make less power than a reasonably basic n/a m54 I also take care of (just shy of 300whp) 

The problem is, and even Hyde has posted sheets showing this, the sc14 cannot produce enough air in the high rpm and the pressure drops dramatically 

That dyno sheet is reading a whopping 200whp, with calculated crank hp highlighted, and a fairly cold ambient. A healthy standard m50 does 165-170whp at those temps 

Good on him for trying to make money out of it, but there's a good reason not many people bother. I just don't like the spouted bullsh*t with poor calculations, probably aimed at duping people that don't actually get paid to make cars fast

Edit note: after all that though, I wouldn't think twice about throwing an SC14 on my mx5. That would work well

Edited by dirtydoogle
  • Like 1

Has anyone managed to repair the teflon on the coated rotors of any of these super chargers? I have a TX20 (SC20) that needs attention.

Edited by polley

25 minutes ago, polley said:

Has anyone managed to repair the teflon on the coated rotors of any of these super chargers? I have a TX20 (SC20) that needs attention.

Talk to Thermo Poly Coating, they may have an idea 

On 9/11/2021 at 11:55 PM, leichtbau said:

God I miss being a mod. I would just ban this moron and his previous accounts.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt (open letter).

I am now in the witness protection program, living in  permanent fear for the safety of myself and my family because there is someone on the other side of the planet  who has watched too many batman movies that is sending me mean messages. I can't sleep without hearing the voice of bane from batman saying "I'm going to f**k your mother" and other mean things. All I can think about is what might have been if I had not banned him - I could have been smoking expensive $11 cigars and drinking expensive whiskey in a $2000 E36 while driving around the mean streets of Whangarei doing drifty-doos in the wet,  disco music pumping while we talked about how many hot woman we have fornicated with. Oh how my life could have changed for the better - anyway, guess we will never know.

This is a man not to be messed with, he is making such huge waves in the SC scene that they are considering changing the name to "Hyde's super duper chargers"

Anyway, that was my annual BS post - back to living in fear , please dont sue me for being mean to you online. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

On 9/13/2021 at 9:22 PM, The H. Behemoth said:

These days hes hanging out with some higher ups at some very big companies in the automotive sector and I heard his company has gone international worth a few million and 6 branches around the world. 

Interesting, it shouldn’t be too hard to share the name of this world-leading company, then. Maybe the addresses of these global branches too so we can order these amazing products?

Pretty sure Elon Musk’s career started by writing open letters an EV forums.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sorry I'm late to the party. I'm Keith of KC design concept - Hyde Motor Works. 

Nobody's saying that superchargers are the best option for everybody. But they are an option. All of the Hyde Motorworks Supercharger kits have been proven thousands of times over. Adding to that, the superchargers that have failed were used units that most likely had extremely high mileage and or were not properly maintained.

The sc14 in question, has proven itself in the American Endurance Championship Series. In many cases involved a 24 hour race. With zero failure, running 9 PSI on a m52b28. But once again this was with proper maintenance, on a strictly track prepped race car.

Now if you are just looking to add a little more power to your street car, without modifying everything else  , the sc14 would be ideal. You can literally bolt it on and tune it  in a weekend. 

But once again this is offered as an option, to build something different, do something different.

Personally I prefer 600 + horsepower.

163200192594254019194811839672.jpg

Edited by Greenday694
  • Like 6

Amazing how one polite and reasonable reply can take the fire out of an angry mob :D Thank you Keith Caldwell for taking the time to respond 👍

Cheers...

• Like 2

On 9/14/2021 at 8:18 AM, dirtydoogle said:

Certainly a bit tight in there. I managed to fit it with my own brackets, with a small PWR barrel cooler under the manifold. 

All up, with water meth and intercooler, you could make less power than a reasonably basic n/a m54 I also take care of (just shy of 300whp) 

The problem is, and even Hyde has posted sheets showing this, the sc14 cannot produce enough air in the high rpm and the pressure drops dramatically 

That dyno sheet is reading a whopping 200whp, with calculated crank hp highlighted, and a fairly cold ambient. A healthy standard m50 does 165-170whp at those temps 

Good on him for trying to make money out of it, but there's a good reason not many people bother. I just don't like the spouted bullsh*t with poor calculations, probably aimed at duping people that don't actually get paid to make cars fast

Edit note: after all that though, I wouldn't think twice about throwing an SC14 on my mx5. That would work well

Hey there, I feel I just have to add to your post and correct a few points, so by any means don't take it personally, as it seems we have enough kids lurking about's here as it is.

1. Its best to never run water injection or such with a supercharger (Twin screw and Roots) that has coated rotors, basic physics and thermodynamics will dictate a few things here, most importantly your rotor coatings pealing off in given time due to the rapid hot and cold cycles. Specially never run it in front of the blower, which you can do with the older 6–71 blowers. Even if you put it in the manifold, on a closed system with the MAF, you will have to use a re circulation valve that will come in front of the blower intake and it will go inside there, not to mention the cyclone effect and droplets sticking to your MAF. Its best sticking to air to air intercooling.  

2. On to the second point, actually if you notice, the post said the LOWEST seen was that. And I emphasis on lowest. That said remember the most an SC14 has seen has been 400WHP on a S52B32.

And that was a 323I M52B25 which was an increase from 150 at the wheels to 200 at the wheels.

Others have seen much more, some more attached.

IMG-20200711-WA0006.thumb.jpg.63aef2875cc06a15fa1525842e50ef07.jpg

Here is a Dyno done in of Matt / Penguin Pools in Tauranga, NZ.
And you can see the output a whopping near 290whp. And he was not even running 8PSI, but 6.

1bb40c9e-7ae8-413a-ab3e-78c4259f52d4.thumb.jpg.02339ffade72767943b9e100ead72d93.jpg

And here is the other with a whopping 330whp on another dyno.

image2(2).thumb.jpeg.73630de35de1fd16fd7a76de89bf910b.jpeg

Typically the average M50 / M52 sees some 155-160whp. Here is a good example if what just 3 PSI can do. A 39% Gain of power just with 3PSI.

782436452_UK328iV2at3PSI.thumb.jpeg.ab2204e917c814d0cebfecc06eadb760.jpeg

Now the calculations are just a formula, but they are far from poor or made for duping people, numbers are right in front of you.

3. The SC14 is just one of the many superchargers available, Today there are HMW kits for pretty much every single popular supercharger out there starting from M45, M62, M90, SC14, SC12, AMR500, M122H, TVS2350, The KB/Whipple 2.8L-2.9L.
Literally the largest supercharger kit ever built for these cars has been done by HMW. Next step is just to acquire the license to produce their own TX15's and TX28's.

On 9/14/2021 at 2:06 AM, polley said:

No the penguin pools drift car used a m52tub28. It still runs the same engine but now with a turbo. 

Superchargers were a consumable item, to the point it was hard to find good ones as spares.

It went reasonably well, but its of my opinion the SC14 is just too small for what's expected of it on these engines, so lifespan is greatly shortened. The mounting of the supercharger bracket was a bit flimsy as well, I had concerns about it but it never gave any trouble. The SC14 is bit of a tight bit trying to jam it between the alternator and intake manifold - not that there is much else options, but it makes the inlet manifold to the supercharger and the rest of the plumbing bit of a nightmare.

Hi Troy,

There are a few things we need to add to this.

1. Penguin Pools must have used multiple engines If I recall the M52 was used later on? Dynos are above/below attached of their cars.

2. The Brackets were MADE BY Penguin Pools using our instructions and whatever material / method they chose to use. And they regretted it and mentioned they would had preferred to gotten the brackets from HMW.
So the brackets were not supplied by or and official HMW Product, which is huge chunk of metal 10mm thick.

@M3AN @dirtydoogle@polley@Greenday694

Now I want to give some perspective here for you guys and everyone else.

Every Supercharger or Turbo has a efficiency level and is ratted for a certain amount of maximal airflow which we can translate to HP/CFM vice versa. There is a give and take. Efficiency will drop after you start hitting that limit and you wont be able to push more. This part is clear. Question is if we buy a Compressor ratted to 300HP, Why expect it to deliver 400?

If you buy a brand new SC14 it would run you upwards of $3000-$4000, If you buy a refurbishment maybe around $1000, a Secondhand unit for $150 - $200 ($350 - $400 NZD).

So let me get this straight. We are supposed to pay 1/10 the price of a brand new SC14 unit, to go and buy a used second hand 30 year old SC14 unit, knowing their rated power output shall not be more than say 300-350HP. Then we complain why it does not deliver more power than its rated for, and then we refuse to service or rebuild it and then blame the supercharger for failing after a year and a half?

Do you see the logic behind this? This is the mentality that is the root of the problem.

Now let me give you something else, You want 400-450HP. Have a small budget, and cant afford to build the motor much if at all, Then you have the choice of going with some cheapo chinease turbo kit that may or may not work and get you there for a while. Everybody has been doing that.

So in Matts (Penguin Pools) Case, they wanted a cheap setup, built the brackets following our V2 designs, had a relatively good power output as you can see for a stock engine. It went well, Then they wanted more power, now for their budget, the next upgrade kit is the M1 ratted for upto 500-700HP. Last year they wanted to upgrade to the M1 Kit, but due to work and personal life problems on his side, he could not afford to go that route. And perhaps he was not needing that kind of power, Anybody who has doubts can go check with him directly. So in such a case, what is someone to do? They have to make compromise, and get what works best for them within their budget. That would be a turbo.

Be honest, Most people would consider themselves lucky to see near 250HP to the wheels on these 30 year old cars, specially in NZ. The next step up would mean to build an engine that can handle it, most people don't have either the knowledge, skills, time and mostly finances to afford that, specially in NZ.

There are HMW engines here that cost upwards of $30,000 - $40,000 NZ Dollars in parts alone, in parts alone gentlemen! These are build to hold over 1200 HP's. Do you think anyone here will go that deep on a single engine? Now imagine having a shop do the work. If you have the money, you can grab a kit that allows you to fit a blower that is larger than your engine capacity, Then don't forget everything else that needs to be built to hold such power, the whole drive train, the gearbox, the differential, the whole sub frame and chassis that needs work. How many people here do that? Not too many. No truth is most people cant and wont go that far.

In the end it depends on what your budget is, what you want and what you can or can not get from your budget.

On 9/14/2021 at 8:46 AM, polley said:

They are NOT Teflon coated. Something we found out as well. ;)

The cost to rebuild one of these units (including the rear bearings) would typically be around €1500 euros plus shipping. There are 3 workshops under us in Europe that will do it.  I would opt for the TX28 however.

Edited by The H. Behemoth
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 10:13 PM, Nobimmer said:

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt (open letter).

I am now in the witness protection program, living in  permanent fear for the safety of myself and my family because there is someone on the other side of the planet  who has watched too many batman movies that is sending me mean messages. I can't sleep without hearing the voice of bane from batman saying "I'm going to f**k your mother" and other mean things. All I can think about is what might have been if I had not banned him - I could have been smoking expensive $11 cigars and drinking expensive whiskey in a $2000 E36 while driving around the mean streets of Whangarei doing drifty-doos in the wet,  disco music pumping while we talked about how many hot woman we have fornicated with. Oh how my life could have changed for the better - anyway, guess we will never know.

This is a man not to be messed with, he is making such huge waves in the SC scene that they are considering changing the name to "Hyde's super duper chargers"

Anyway, that was my annual BS post - back to living in fear , please dont sue me for being mean to you online. 

Greetings!

I just wonder, for someone who claims to be in a witness protection program, is it a very smart thing to do by publicly announcing this? And out of all places a BMW Forum. Are you sure its not called a public protection program with a lifetime supply of prescription pills? 😂

Honestly, our time is used more wisely by not discussing flat earth and covid conspiracy theories, batman, aliens, and perhaps now what remains is to pin the dinosaurs  extinction among other things on people you dislike for your own shortcomings.

Apart from that, we had a great laugh! Had some friends read it out loud the other day. Just brilliant, one friend was seriously concerned actually about you, poor chap. It maybe best you see a doctor, don't let the lock down get you down poor chap! 👍

Best Wishes

On 9/16/2021 at 8:20 AM, jeffbebe said:

Interesting, it shouldn’t be too hard to share the name of this world-leading company, then. Maybe the addresses of these global branches too so we can order these amazing products?

Pretty sure Elon Musk’s career started by writing open letters an EV forums.

Your wording speak much of your humble intellect and great wisdom. I would say you kids have following the foot steps of the previous "Great President" of the United States, remarkable resemblance and if you find enough people as yourselves you may also become a "Great Leader" to your country! For some reason some of us are thankful you are not.

On a serious note, Its a pity what has become of this place. You represent this community and right now you are casting a bad light on it by posting and encouraging such behavior. Full stop. And in the end if anyone, it is the community and its owners that get into trouble because of what you said and allowed to be said. And no one should get into trouble because of your personal problems.

I think its best you gentlemen follow the rules that are set, and clean up your mess and that of the ones you allowed, before someone decides its not fun and games anymore. As you know, morons with money can afford to play with you and have a laugh at your expense doing it, if they took you seriously that is. 😅 All the best!

======================

Thank you everyone,  please excuse me, I must retire from this conversation before these kids get into trouble.

Best wishes and warm regards. 😊👍

Edited by The H. Behemoth
  • Haha 2

That's too many words bro.

You did good, people can be dicks, you won't change their minds.

Its like that annoying ex girlfriend that wont go away...

• Like 2

Won't be changing my mind  

Got the t-shirt from playing with this crap. I wouldn't put this kind of set up on a customer vehicle. 

I have no doubt the bigger blowers work well, reliably. No argument there. 

Water meth done after the charger and the cooler, obviously. Mine had the cooler under the intake manifold 

Even the old fashioned M90 is running well outside its efficiency area with your figures, go read a map. 

You can manage 290whp on an n/a 2.8 without a piss poor compromised blower set up running miles past peak efficiency, creating hot air and reliability problems. 

You can clearly see on your 3psi dyno run that the engine starts to out breathe the blower significantly, which would be pretty bang in line with what an m90 chart says will happen, and the sc14 is less efficient 

A non intercooler set up, and no water injection is rubbish and should have been left in the Bently blower days. 

I'm not worried about the hp. It's just a crap set up and a crap blower. I wouldn't have my name on it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The H. Behemoth said:

As you know, morons with money can afford to play with you and have a laugh at your expense doing it, if they took you seriously that is. 😅 All the best!

======================

👍

Seriously? Dude, you live in an apartment complex in Germany and you're making vague threats at people in NZ again? Grow up mate. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The H. Behemoth said:

Here is a Dyno done in of Matt / Penguin Pools in Tauranga, NZ.
And you can see the output a whopping near 290whp. And he was not even running 8PSI, but 6.

1bb40c9e-7ae8-413a-ab3e-78c4259f52d4.thumb.jpg.02339ffade72767943b9e100ead72d93.jpg

And here is the other with a whopping 330whp on another dyno.

image2(2).thumb.jpeg.73630de35de1fd16fd7a76de89bf910b.jpeg

Now the calculations are just a formula, but they are far from poor or made for duping people, numbers are right in front of you.

Hi Troy,

There are a few things we need to add to this.

1. Penguin Pools must have used multiple engines If I recall the M52 was used later on? Dynos are above/below attached of their cars.

2. The Brackets were MADE BY Penguin Pools using our instructions and whatever material / method they chose to use. And they regretted it and mentioned they would had preferred to gotten the brackets from HMW.
So the brackets were not supplied by or and official HMW Product, which is huge chunk of metal 10mm thick.

So in Matts (Penguin Pools) Case, they wanted a cheap setup, built the brackets following our V2 designs, had a relatively good power output as you can see for a stock engine. It went well, Then they wanted more power, now for their budget, the next upgrade kit is the M1 ratted for upto 500-700HP. Last year they wanted to upgrade to the M1 Kit, but due to work and personal life problems on his side, he could not afford to go that route. And perhaps he was not needing that kind of power, Anybody who has doubts can go check with him directly. So in such a case, what is someone to do? They have to make compromise, and get what works best for them within their budget. That would be a turbo.

They are NOT Teflon coated. Something we found out as well. ;)

Hardly worth comparing those two dyno sheets. Look at the torque correction factors, they are both wildly different.

Look at the torque on the dynapack, its got more humps in it than a cardi b music video. If I remember correctly this was because of belt slip, its hard to get enough belt wrap with the smaller pulleys. We got it sorted in the end. Probably still a can of belt grip lying around in the boot of the car.

The brackets were made as per your design so should be exactly the same. As I said, he didn't have any problems with them. I just didn't like the pick up points it used and how wobbly it seemed.

Pretty sure its always had the same motor in it. Also note that the car is running e85 to get those numbers. 

Hey the car went well, and was pretty reliable.. other than the sc14 failing often. As you said, they are an old unit and unless you buy a brand new one they are expected to fail, especially when spinning them above rated speed. But they aren't worth spending anymore than $300 on whether its new or second hand because at the 300whp mark or so they are tapped out and running well out of their rated design.

Interesting to know what they are coated in if you happen to know? I haven't had one apart to inspect. 

By the looks of it your kits have come along way from some of the first iterations.

Edited by polley

Given Hydes previous statements about NZ women and characterisation of Bimmersport members as "cuckloaders", would he care to talk about the links between the HMW logo and cuckold symbology? 

I guess he is just fortunate his meltdown didn't coincide with Tarants actions in Christchurch. He did well to leave NZ when he did but can be sure the folk at Pine Gap etc will always be watching.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Given Hydes previous statements about NZ women and characterisation of Bimmersport members as "cuckloaders", would he care to talk about the links between the HMW logo and cuckold symbology? 

I guess he is just fortunate his meltdown didn't coincide with Tarants actions in Christchurch. He did well to leave NZ when he did but can be sure the folk at Pine Gap etc will always be watching.

Interesting. I wasn't sure of the link between the the HMW logo and cuckold symbology so Googled cuckold symbol, but only found images of black bulls and micro penises. 

Can you please elaborate, sounds like it could be good for a laugh. We are overdue for a good bimmersport drama.

Edited by polley
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, polley said:

Interesting. I wasn't sure of the link between the the HMW logo and cuckold symbology so Googled cuckold symbol, but only found images of black bulls and micro penises. 

Can you please elaborate, sounds like it could be good for a laugh. We are overdue for a good bimmersport drama.

The black ace of spades symbol is worn as jewellery or tattooed on women who keep themselves available for use by black men. It's a branch of polyamory. I acquired this hugely useful knowledge trying to figure out the wierd sh*t he was talking about last time.

Just make sure you do an incognito search or the Mrs will be giving you some strange looks 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, polley said:

Look at the torque on the dynapack, its got more humps in it than a cardi b music video.

When I ran my car (not a BM and N.A.) on a Dynapack I got a similar series of humps/dips in the torque curve. This seems to be a quirk of the hub dyno. It does not have the huge inertia of a steel roller to smooth out fluctuations in torque, so you are seeing how the torque actually fluctuates due to intake and exhaust resonances.

Not saying you didn't have belt slip, but seeing as the power required by the blower increases with boost/rpm, I would expect slip to commence and increase as the engine starts to rip at the top end rather than be coming and going across the rev range.

Cheers...

6 minutes ago, jon dee said:

When I ran my car (not a BM and N.A.) on a Dynapack I got a similar series of humps/dips in the torque curve. This seems to be a quirk of the hub dyno. It does not have the huge inertia of a steel roller to smooth out fluctuations in torque, so you are seeing how the torque actually fluctuates due to intake and exhaust resonances.

Not saying you didn't have belt slip, but seeing as the power required by the blower increases with boost/rpm, I would expect slip to commence and increase as the engine starts to rip at the top end rather than be coming and going across the rev range.

Cheers...

Yeah we have seen the same thing. Typically the data is smoothed over to make it look sexier when this happens.  

Here is an n/a Ford pinto on a hub dyno, same thing. 

Screenshot_20210920-102152_Messenger.jpg

6 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Omg, I just googled this.

That is so funny.

I still have a screenshot from him somewhere where he says all western women are whores, and worse.

Edited by zero

5 hours ago, zero said:

Omg, I just googled this.

That is so funny.

I still have a screenshot from him somewhere where he says all western women are whores, and worse.

Careful, he is a man of money and will play with you, kid. 

• Haha 1

Is this Facebook for kids? Or a BMW forum, for people to learn about cars? I guess haters will always hate.

Absolutely nothing wrong with using an apartment address for your business headquarters. I use one of my rental properties. I'm not going to give anybody my real address. But I do own this property as well.

As for those Dyno sheets that most people have. They mean absolutely nothing in the real world. A dyno is good for setting up ignition ,fuel, vvt, and a few other things. Many times I've had to pull power from the top end just to smooth out the mid-range transition. So the car ended up making less Peak power but produce much faster lap times. This is why I choose superchargers over turbos. You are not going to break boost into a tight turn from a high-speed just so you can have power on the exit. I guess this is why the Hyde Motor Works Supercharger kits are selling so well.

When I first met Hyde, I was running an M90 from the Thunderbird SC, on my 93 325is. 9 PSI, 12 PSI once I sent the rotors out to be coated. He told me about his sc-14 project, and other projects He had in mind. Honestly I did not think there was a market for something like this. I thought I was the only one that like to stand out and do something completely different from everybody else. All my buddies run modified coyote Mustangs and LS Camaros. And told me to swap in an LS instead of playing around with that little BMW engine. I'm not going to say that I can beat every one of them, but I can hurt some feelings.

That's all Hyde and me are offering, an option to do something different. At an extremely reasonable price. Yes you can buy a cheap turbo kit off of eBay. Then spend three times or more making it work right. Then have to replace cheap Turbo with an expensive one. Because the cheap one spit out a seal and spun a bearing.

All these attacks on his character based on hearsay don't belong on this forum. For that , this will be my last post here. 

Go well, be safe, Godspeed.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Greenday694 said:

All these attacks on his character based on hearsay don't belong on this forum. For that , this will be my last post here. 

Cool, thanks for staying and thanks for leaving. 🙂

• Like 1