Sign in to follow this  
aja540i

Lockdown project

one of many projects I am finally getting time to work on in level 4 is a wheel straightener that I am putting together. I started about a year ago but have actually made some progress now. Starting point was a front hub from an e39 at pick a part, then a 5mm aluminium spacer to take the place of the absent brake disc, the frame is 150 x 75 PFC ( parallel flange channel) and this holds a small hydraulic ram from a panelbeating kit, I think it is a 10T unit.

I cast an aluminium block with a radius to suit about a 14 inch rim, and drilled it to fit the end of the ram. 

At the back of the ram I have a series of coach bolt heads to hold the ram in place while allowing for vertical adjustment, the front of the ram is held in a pipe saddle clamp that will move up and down in 2 vertical slots and be secured with plastic hand nut things.

Behind the back of the ram I have a flat steel surface to attach a magnetic holder for my dial indicator so I can check progress as I go.

I am hoping to straighten 3 rims from 3 different sets that I currently have in my driveway, including the one I am using for testing (in the photos) and I am hoping to be able to do it without having to apply heat, but that remains to be seen!

DSC_0415.thumb.JPG.1212448e6645daee75c2898f22dd45f4.JPG

DSC_0416.thumb.JPG.cc4dc05df5d787cdcf7cef511ba4f9f5.JPG

DSC_0417.thumb.JPG.3c5d5b91f56d15e465bb8d65c3e30cbf.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Two questions..

1. When do you think you'll have it finished and tested?

2. When can I borrow it...?? :D

Awesome work, can't beat a bit of kiwi cleverness.

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Two questions..

1. When do you think you'll have it finished and tested?

2. When can I borrow it...?? :D

Awesome work, can't beat a bit of kiwi cleverness.

1. Now, I don't have a lot else on today!

2. Once I have done a bit of tweaking and finishing off.

Basically done, need to tidy up the front and trim it a bit to fit smaller rims, then powder coat it.

Tested with my 4T pump and got this rim within 1.6mm of perfectly round without heat, I suspect a bit of heat and/or a larger pump will take care of the rest!

DSC_0419.thumb.JPG.3b7a2d39e0540be6695b67967fe87542.JPG

DSC_0422.thumb.JPG.a98a6539ba6e8eddbc80e6d937262f5d.JPG

DSC_0425.thumb.JPG.36b05035f53b6a69eba7d9ad29a49f29.JPG

• Like 4

Well impressed with this effort, if you want a near new 19" DTM with a nice bend in it to experiment on let me know. I learnt the hard way that El cheapo DTM rims are made from something similar to playdough. 

42 minutes ago, Twistee said:

Well impressed with this effort, if you want a near new 19" DTM with a nice bend in it to experiment on let me know. I learnt the hard way that El cheapo DTM rims are made from something similar to playdough. 

Thanks, I have a decent stack of slightly bent rims here already, but if I run out I'll get back to you!

Sandblasted, powder coated, back together,

DSC_0434.thumb.JPG.58ca9dd86ffb29208489b32c034a8140.JPG

DSC_0435.thumb.JPG.5e988c449757ba58f55a4702a03f8711.JPG

Next mission is a bent style 66 that is part of a set i bought for the E39 530d touring...

DSC_0432.thumb.JPG.6b1aa2cdad99094e8d883e37084caee7.JPG

• Like 8

This is so cool

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 8:11 PM, aja540i said:

Thanks, I have a decent stack of slightly bent rims here already, but if I run out I'll get back to you!

😄 I see what you did there!

Seriously though, what a brilliant combination of thinking and engineering.  Bravo Andrew!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This one took a bit of heating, but still only the 4T pump, got it within 1.8mm of perfect, also removed 105g of balance weights that were probably masking the effect of the dent somewhat!!

DSC_0436.thumb.JPG.d9ecb97b048e5c4abf328e3afd6938e0.JPG

DSC_0437.thumb.JPG.bc4192ee06b980dea3160315126c245d.JPG

• Like 3

hugely impressive.  bravo!

you going to open source the plans for this?

59 minutes ago, Olaf said:

hugely impressive.  bravo!

you going to open source the plans for this?

I am honored and amused that you think there are plans!! Its all out of my head and made largely from what I had kicking around the garage. 

If anyone is keen to replicate it I can post up some photos with measurements,  and I have the pattern to cast the aluminium block so I could work out a price to supply that, the rest is pretty straight forward.

A couple of points to note:

1)I used an E39 hub but that might not be the best option considering the odd bore size on the E39 hubs.

2)As it stands it has no ability to deal with dents on the outer lip of the wheel, it wasn't an issue for me as all the rims I have to repair are only dented on the inside edge. If a wheel is buckled on the outside edge I would question whether it is wise to attempt to repair it anyway given that it is probably cracked as well.

3)I have used a 4T panel beating hydraulic pump / ram kit so far, but I would recommend getting a 10T kit as I am getting to the limit of the 4T pump quite easily. 

4) I have no problem with anyone using my design and making one for their own use, I will consider it a dick move if someone starts making them and selling them!

5) I am open to hiring this out in the Auckland area but I'm not keen to lend out my dial indicator so you would need to aquire one if you don't already have one, pm me if keen.

• Like 2

I currently use a charcoal furnace but I am in the process of upgrading an old electric kiln to use instead, I have done some stuff with steel moulds but mostly just use sand moulds and MDF patterns.

To satisfy my own sense of humor I made sure I used some of the old suspension arms from the M5 in this casting!!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, aja540i said:

I currently use a charcoal furnace but I am in the process of upgrading an old electric kiln to use instead, I have done some stuff with steel moulds but mostly just use sand moulds and MDF patterns.

To satisfy my own sense of humor I made sure I used some of the old suspension arms from the M5 in this casting!!

Love it 

Any pictures of these furances / kilns? They sound super interesting 

Edited by Michael.