Sign in to follow this  
Twistee

Ceramic coatings / prep / polish recommendation?

Does anyone have any experience with the Mothers range of ceramic coatings? I was looking at ordering some as I have a healthy store credit at Supercheap after they goofed the last order I placed, open to other recommendations. I don't have a preference in product range, I figure eventually level 4 will end and I can order something. While the paint is in good condition it would be great to get a ceramic on.

Cheers.

DkMLrF1ezFfKwMs9X5qaCLjCpUG5VnDvkWUA-YPkt7FLdcsRHasRiCbnG7-g9tCFZYzLjqX5DHKEVjkSOGFcv4Cm43NyFffsiYD4ziIpf7e_6CLfW1TBmT1e8Tc1LVxoGPYmj-kre_bm_dCn8h9NlLhT9VRGQKaftlWJKhT78dwxhfbum7Tw33klSw6kt4DPHa7uPlEeLFxtnt4mAmfjVZ32DOV-mBuAyv290URHLIb2uKLNAvfchixE4RPlMlRcRu0ZiNVmCaAUEvOBJ69JX4DjtUn2mNGm50sV1OfP5lZY54uvAD-iItLLDe_BY8lF7nZKirRpGtSa7w_D0RucU50HZ4ObdP5J8ZF6T-hAtFdqfvm3t1NMGMpkkuS9i0A-7iZSzdV5thJui8ft9pyC_MkJkOiUT3oHv4WUd0h_SZg-T0vs6tFaAV5bc6Dvwx8S7R1v0aJYfyxFxsTNiLU4F0g2-HRUaLBjehdzoSjnEGRjrKQtc5V7YJRZ3VVM8d6XPn0tZ642cuXBDZKZhgmegGojyiuGWPjenKwtpRDZMbEYJ35fJvNbh1ClZ-Jn5T3lFyvSMWR3J5DT0MDX-fHZtlLBSoxT_U1OBL0Xmbv3TZ4nHPgXVIEAhHQEqccJREw_uWOB8EfVfKjZvLSIknFAUJXVYgQo_-vqMM2geYByS5DG8cDH3pxmGdJ-sURpfIDf7YK0rAZh_8BtxEaPd0ggBcCI=w1263-h947-no?authuser=0

Edited by Twistee

It's a bit confusing as there are resin bases ceramic coatings, and then there are these water based ones like what they sell at Supercheap. 

The Supercheap stuff is really just like a modern wax. They tend to have better water beading and last a bit longer than a wax (making washing easier), but it's debatable how much 'protection' they offer. 

Regardless, they do have some good options. If you want a really easy application, try this. It lasts pretty good. If you want to apply like a traditional wax, try this or  try this

Post results!

I have used the Meguiars stuff.  I find NXT is superior to the Hybrid Ceramic.  NXT Wash and NXT sealant gives a pretty decent finish, follow up washes with NXT Wash are also good as there's something in it which conditions the surface and provides a slick finish which other washes I have used don't have.  I think the durability of Hybrid Ceramic is lowering that NXT.  Both NXT Sealant and Hybrid Wax are very easy to apply though.  Wouldn't bother with the Hybrid Detailer.

As an additional step I use Autoglym Super Resin Polish before NXT/Hybrid Ceramic to clear up swirls, scratches and get a deep wet look going.

I haven't used any of the hardcore ceramic sealants on the market from places like UCC but I suspect the durability of those is higher.

I don't have many pictures but here is: Wash, Clay, Autoglym SRP, NXT Sealant

Maserati2.thumb.jpg.d81388e424c80d138f2d615185217acd.jpg

Edited by GorGasm
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Twistee said:

Thanks @m325i and @GorGasm. I use NXT for my wash and agree it is really good at keeping the finish, I 'll try out your suggestions.

If you want to spend money outside of Supercheap, there are heaps of better options. Check out https://kochexperts.com/nz/ - rating their stuff ATM...

In saying that, I am in the middle of a lockdown valet too - after a polish I am going with the oldschool combo of Powerlock and Collinite 845. Hard to beat the look and it lasts pretty well. 

• Like 2

I’m a big Powerlock fan, always great results 

• Like 1

Another vote for Menzerna Powerlock - its a great product.

Lately I've been seduced to the dark side of easy apply spray sealants - currently using CarPro Elixer but will likely get some of their Hydrolite once my bottle of Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic runs out (also a good product - smells nice and can be buffed on or sprayed and hosed off).

Ceramic coatings are technically superior, but I tend to wax my car very regularly so maximum longevity is less important to me.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Lately I've been seduced to the dark side of easy apply spray sealants

Same. (Edit - Well the foam cannon spray type) The Koch Chemie protector wax is good. 

I also have liked the Fireball hydrophobic snow foam. I think they all must be pretty similar though. 

Edited by m325i
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, m325i said:

Same. (Edit - Well the foam cannon spray type) The Koch Chemie protector wax is good. 

I also have liked the Fireball hydrophobic snow foam. I think they all must be pretty similar though. 

Damn those reviews on the Hydrophobic snow foam are amazing - might have to give it a hoon - I already have their hydrophobic shampoo which is good stuff.

I have Fireball Hydrophobic Snow Foam.  It's OK, I certainly wouldn't rave about it.  I actually think Meguiars NXT wash leaves a better finish.

I'm sure there's better stuff than Meguiars, but I am "lazy" and on a budget.

Agree, have used fireball previously and am currently using Meguiars and I actually prefer the Meguiars stuff

44 minutes ago, GorGasm said:

I have Fireball Hydrophobic Snow Foam.  It's OK, I certainly wouldn't rave about it.  I actually think Meguiars NXT wash leaves a better finish.

I'm sure there's better stuff than Meguiars, but I am "lazy" and on a budget.

100% on board with this, I like the idea of the Meguiars and the ease of use of that sort of product. And right now I'm just looking to eat up some store credit, so anything outside Supercheap which I have no doubt is better will have to be for another day. I think I'll start with the easiest approach and if that doesn't give the results I'm after then I'll start heading into the more pro polish and sealants. 

Thanks to everyone for chiming in with some constructive advice here, I'm sure others will benefit as well. Unfortunately this is all just a hurry up and wait exercise and I can't buy anything, apparently car polish and cleaners are not essential items, although I could argue a good case against that.

Spent the evening avoiding the world and used the Mothers CMX on the wagon. No before shots - it was shiny but not as deep as the final result. I started with the CMX polish - useless. It went on like toothpaste and getting it off even on a small area took a stupid amount of time. I decided to go straight to the CMX ceramic coating as the current paintwork is in good condition. I put on a Collecting Cars podcast and spent about an hour applying and buffing off the coating with a microfibre cloth, probably the easiest coating I have ever used. 

image.thumb.png.72f5ec8ed99884d098e88bea7f286c17.png

image.thumb.png.3bbec9f914e9c484f00baca1becea050.png

image.thumb.png.82e1ccdb53ce1ad173fe94f97ff16c45.png

image.thumb.png.f1713e74296e7688eeaea42d1d6368eb.png

image.thumb.png.8e5e19d3ec39099e24ec9b00f4b8899e.png

So in my opinion it was money well spent.

image.png

Edited by Twistee
Image update
  • Like 6

As a follow-up, I detailed the wife's SUV today and thought I would try the CMX ceramic trim restorer on the exterior black. Less than impressed, end result was a dull black finish and not at all what I expected. Save your coin and use the tried and tested back to black if you are using the Mother's range. So pretty hit and miss with the CMX line up, the polish is average at best, the ceramic spray so far seems pretty reasonable, and the CMX trim restorer is an expensive disappointment. On the plus side another car is clean, it kept my daughter and I occupied for most of the day - yay lock down school holidays😁

I am continuing to apply follow-up layers of the cmx ceramic to the wagon each night as recommended in the instructions, I'll report back occasionally in this thread on the results over the next month or two of wear. 

Cool.  The polish might work better on dark colors or cars with light scratching.  I found polish gave a deeper finish before applying ceramic.  Polish was much harder to apply and remove.  Ceramic is stupid easy to apply.

Added another coat last night, finished it off with a wool pad. It's sooo clean, I just can't handle the thought of driving it in the rain - spring time in Auckland is just great. Mind you with level 3 point something lockdown I have got no where to go anyway.

image.thumb.png.bde3b0eece01a4cd901176642cbed6ce.png

image.thumb.png.525b2c0cc35bdf18159a76384db78def.png

image.thumb.png.d005824cfd609fe3965ab99dd3ff3268.png

image.thumb.png.e4f08ce9c046902145028f69221692e3.png

I also ignored the CMX polish instructions and tried to apply it with a wet applicator pad before completely writing it off, it worked significantly better. So anywhere that I had small blemishes I touched up with the polish before using the ceramic (ish) coating. 

Polishing aside, I thought I would include an image of the danger sticker on my (baby) drill press that always makes me smile - health and safety first :D 

image.thumb.png.21354e8a9f70ac9a73ecd15429dfac7c.png

Back to the coating - I think the additional application has made a difference to the depth of the gloss. I need to buy some touch up paint for the rear of the wheel arches that have a bit of road rash, if anyone has any suggestions other than the obvious go to BMW please let me know.

Cheers.

• Like 2

So I'm happy to nominate myself for stupid question of the day, but what is the recommended way to wash a car once it has had this type of ceramic (ish) coating applied? Am I now tied into the you can only use the Mother's car wash or I'll just remove the coating? Typically I use the Autoglym foam soap. 

On 10/9/2021 at 6:56 PM, Twistee said:

So I'm happy to nominate myself for stupid question of the day, but what is the recommended way to wash a car once it has had this type of ceramic (ish) coating applied? Am I now tied into the you can only use the Mother's car wash or I'll just remove the coating? Typically I use the Autoglym foam soap. 

Snow foam pre wash and 2 bucket method is the safest way to maintain ceramics (even the spray ceramic coatings). Duration of these will vary, and you can often layer the products so continue topping up as necessary. With the maintenance side of things, it's super important to wash an area twice carefully than once with pressure on your mitt; and make sure all your wash and drying equipment is clean or you're in for some disappointment. 

Regarding brands; you're never tied to a certain brand. Even professionally applied ceramic coating lifespan can be extended with regular wax or sealant top ups. The boffins often say don't wax coatings as it can reduce their effectiveness (by covering them with another product) and whilst they're correct there's a factor we endure quite severely here in NZ that reduces coating lifespan; UV. Regular top ups with ceramic spray sealant will fill the low spots and increase lifespan.

In terms of drying; as ceramics are super hydrophobic you can often dry a high percentage of the vehicle with low pressure water (top to bottom, straight from the hose), then dab the remainder with a drying towel or even better yet air dry with a master blaster or similar.

Side note on ceramic sprays. Ceramics crystallise and form a hard layer (which is how they work; professional ranges cure with heat, time, IR or a combination depending on the product). Albeit heavily watered-down, spray ceramics use silica dioxide (Sio2) and as such still harden. There aren't many studies released here on the effects yet, but I'd recommend not inhaling the residue while you're applying. From what I have read the retail range risks are low, but still present. See here for more info: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/silicosis/#:~:text=Silicosis is a long-term,that can be easily inhaled.

• Like 2

Thanks @CSET, there is some really useful advice here. I hadn't even thought of wearing a respirator when applying the coating. Having travelled a fair bit you get the idea that outside of nz and increasingly Aus the idea of UV damage is largely ignored and seen as a minor issue, here we get baked.

Update, been a few weeks and one wash since the original application of the Mothers CMX. The wagon spent the last few days outside and I grabbed this shot after the night of rain - so water beads....The hydrophobic action is pretty impressive given the small amount of effort required to apply the product, the first time I reversed all the water from the roof ran off in no time. As I'm out of the Mothers and the Meguiar's is on special in a kit at Repco I'll try that out next next.

kB-PzNe9YG29cURmLVQUruC3pIdAtBZTAg0Bxub4O1UaHuWf3kPEMlVCZYracMNvv2SHK8WKn41wI87SOqW7uO0D08KVpNuasvmMV78tqQCkOHujoa6n_WCjBjx17xKR_1uL7iNrzgCYTqxJIdkxPAdGkV8iUlfjpSVuH-WUBg9LwDEokMGKEde1bIjjawmTv67PoYnaK5fy5zRUjEa8sltWLfVZi-G6-pX0tIFZcIP5fERFt7Xud4IYl1U6sGehJzfHQ_yau6gda65lISf8Flr5BBeZtec1aRbfMeaWaOmTWB21zlfVWASiAkQ7pb8TVhgrK-tBNl9z4m-SuDEMis2VJsFf4VvyH99wQ4sbMKAQQSy_Dm5MCw6k4IgsB0s0aLByO8h_qn-2bNyd0yTpLYTTodn7pKaSK9TKS0HkjP-i79ojem6O3YkvmW5hXBav67EtRrIMC8a6v2vwbeDuJz9rBsnVwCLBh1DmCJ6Sn9grBpPts-jPxSDV7flzfPmMFA9uf35iMpqlcp9akWuZmSZ7kEIaFDofVCurJ5hoi-cSDz8ugQo7er9GnpKHbzNY6L33vv4UD-lOHldpYJWe87IR3J5UPw6QxFdseocLh45iYW5zpnJLynkrsE-Jm7M2VUQhTL4jT-DON1ui3LYDIJ1AMGwux4DQdxw0Xd0bw4P5ug0J3ybfyoYW1aUNycisGVRQDEptYDE1vwHL-BF0u5PV=w1263-h947-no?authuser=0

Edited by Twistee

A quick 4 months later update. As a result of having a life outside of detailing cars (please don't hate me :D ) I have done nothing other than gun wash the M5 to keep road film off. Thanks to Covid slowing everything down the wagon has lived outside for last couple of months while the house refurb drags on. Below is an image of it taken a couple of weeks ago, water is still beading up, I haven't put any more CMX on since the original application. 

S9w8xXoY0HiHy0rArGRJ9bKin3YwP5W5KEbLUWHAnxWBfdJwQzqCazfmf-brl66B9vw8YHQ1BDIRpn2JcosjyAPxpiqW6qMIr7OUcsFQ4eFT8-lO41AlQ2bbk-lsiA4UI3OmJTw9C4e2bPkCbQNhVUS2NuJga1QK61WGUps8tMv6maAxclJeyuhjJDeMTvn3Ph5ebcsdO1RhnlOmycuE4-e9xu26krJCkUpzAC1i6HOwB7KVKPIPJRl2Y-5ILuoYNIwclOJ_TbC-UkZ_yXkODdfD2PWV2Pv6HBJ0mMtVaZnPcUpN7mNA58Az8ZLVCuhxHeWQ6AmSHQS5Mmz5JWDw6uy1LmgdiE8iVnDBH-V3AZdWMRdCdkOf6ImuQZXQvnHuIu3LfULD6vzFrXIy9aK8hiRUHq_BK5Rrj1Ae7OV3gjB0uVNO8qc0JJGqY2gHJlVxHRleJw_H-jB5gxPmOOW6dWTq_BIfsiKUmaqI5WgxPMsRyfMVljRBsu3DwosRNb-r3fypf3b0Sr1gZmvdYmlUopmoLOhlhzMk4j2KVeuJ5dqJNIl6gUx2vys4DvCYwvDVMCkrKxbCoUGaAVzq0zmt16hxrfb1we9r40K_hbp1G6ah2m3F142M8klmsOOnExyMNhR-WXJXoPYkMipk_FxVGIynkeLaLS0QgzQlB7oeL91aNhSNkjwcG7F781NuY3A1JgtIf9hltXk1etPgkdlWmp3n=w1263-h947-no?authuser=0

• Like 1