Sign in to follow this  
wrs

PS4S E36 Fitment

I've been using RE003's (Front: 225/45/17, Rear: 245/40/17) for a few years but was considering switching to PS4S as I need to get new tyres. Today I looked at a PS4S 225/45/17 and discovered it's a fair bit wider than the RE003 225/45/17. The sidewalls on the PS4S are about 5mm more bulged on each side than the RE003 so it looks a lot more like a 235... I'm concerned they won't fit under my wheel arches as I only have about a finger width at the front and can't get a finger between the rear tyre and wheel arch. I have no rubbing now and want to keep it that way.

Is anyone else using the PS4S on a E36 with DS2 Sunflower rims on a staggered M3 setup 225/45/17 on the front and 245/40/17 on the back. I don't want to order tyres in if they won't fit or if they're going to rub on anything. I have the Eibach springs from a B12 kit and Koni adjustables in place of the B12 kit Bilstiens, M3 front strut top-hats and M3 front swaybar mounts so the car has M3 ride height and stance and has a M3 wheel alignment. The front tyres are about level with the front wheel arch and about 20mm up inside the rear.

Edited by wrs

PS4S tend to run wider at the same tyre size as other manufacturers. Either size down to something like 215/45/17 & 235/40/17 or try a different brand.

Having just purchased PS4S I can support what @qube has said. They are wider due to the sidewall tech, according the manufacturer. Regardless of why, they are wider. 

Cool, thanks. Sounds like 215/235 combo is the answer.

Meh, PS4S 235/40/17 isn't available. 235/45/17 is available but is too big in diameter with 3% increase (625mm to 645mm). Maybe the diameter increase is ok.

Since only the rears need changing I'm putting RE003's back on for now. The fronts are only half worn so next time the rears need changing the fronts should need doing at the same time.

Will re-investigate PS4S when next due.

It's true that the PS4S's run a little wide, but I don't think the difference would be so significant that you should downsize from the OE tyre size. Most of the increased width is right at where the tyre meets the rim (Michelin call it a rim protector or something). It would probably be fine. 

• Like 1

I have 245/40/17 PS4s on the back on M3 Staggers, no problem. (standard Motorsport springs)

Edited by jom

Had 235/45/17 on the front until a puncture ruined one, fit fine but currently running 3degress camber and rolled guards but I'm sure they'd still fit just fine

I certainly wouldn't downsize just to fit a tyre that's arguably no better than the alternatives. That's regardless of tyre brand subjectivity.

• Like 1