Sign in to follow this  
Breaker

WOF and Rego extension

Shame you don't get any extension on the new Rego, gets backdated to when the old one ran out. I've got a car that's been registered but not gone anywhere near a road for a whole month, but I can't claim that rego back, nor get it added on to the new one.

I suppose it's better than nothing though..

On a similar note, wonder if any Insurers will give us a little token premium rebate again to reflect a presumed significant drop in claims?

• Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Sammo said:

On a similar note, wonder if any Insurers will give us a little token premium rebate again to reflect a presumed significant drop in claims?

I think you'd have better odds of Auckland dropping to level 2 this arvo. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Sammo said:

Doubt it, if anything they should be increasing premiums. The amount of damaged vehicles at work has noticeably increased since lockdown. Its like people go full retard and forget how to drive.

Its good for us though, more crashes, more money.

8 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Shame you don't get any extension on the new Rego, gets backdated to when the old one ran out. I've got a car that's been registered but not gone anywhere near a road for a whole month, but I can't claim that rego back, nor get it added on to the new one.

But you can suspend it right? Or are there unpalatable hoops to jump through (never done it myself)?

7 hours ago, Sammo said:

Tower and AA gave rebates last year, not sure what the status is this year so far.

21 minutes ago, M3AN said:

But you can suspend it right? Or are there unpalatable hoops to jump through (never done it myself)?

You can put a rego on hold whenever you like, but I'm not aware of any way to reclaim 'lost' rego through lack of use, or even a vehicle being written off.

On hold has a minimum period of 3 months too - put the car back on the road before the 3 months is up, and rego is backdated to the last time it was live, or the start of the on hold period.

I confess I took advantage of he system and renewed the rego on a Mercedes here - it has no WoF, and I'd forgotten to put the rego on hold which means I'd have been paying 4 or 5 months back rego anyway So I bought 12 months.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gjm said:

You can put a rego on hold whenever you like, but I'm not aware of any way to reclaim 'lost' rego through lack of use, or even a vehicle being written off.

On hold has a minimum period of 3 months too - put the car back on the road before the 3 months is up, and rego is backdated to the last time it was live, or the start of the on hold period.

I confess I took advantage of he system and renewed the rego on a Mercedes here - it has no WoF, and I'd forgotten to put the rego on hold which means I'd have been paying 4 or 5 months back rego anyway So I bought 12 months.

Ahh, gotcha. 3 month minimum is the kicker here.

Am I reading you correctly that you can now (temporarily) register a non WoF'd vehicle? I need to do that with my M3.

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Am I reading you correctly that you can now (temporarily) register a non WoF'd vehicle? I need to do that with my M3.

Yup.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, M3AN said:

That’s not how I read it - if it has a rego and it expires you’re still all good to use it, but I thought I saw a section about must still have a WoF to register (as is normal) ?

Go to the online bit and try it there, should tell you one way or the other..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

That’s not how I read it - if it has a rego and it expires you’re still all good to use it, but I thought I saw a section about must still have a WoF to register (as is normal) ?

Go to the online bit and try it there, should tell you one way or the other..

The Merc I bought rego for had been out of rego for 4 months, and not had a WoF since September 2019. I'd forgotten to renew the 'on hold', which means back-rego has to be paid, and simply selected 12 months when renewing online.

Rego slip arrived in the post 4 days later.

• Thanks 1

Okay, I could have done the homework myself.

Yes, you can currently register a car that has no warrant, just done it...

Well, that's good news. Apologies @gjm I was referring to the NZTA web-site rather than your post (which I must have missed).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Well, that's good news. Apologies @gjm I was referring to the NZTA web-site rather than your post (which I must have missed).

No worries!

So my warrant-less rego turned up today, I like this system because organising a WoF every 6 months for my M3 which travels about 20km every 6 months (yes, I realise that's a crime in itself) is a royal PITA.

But rather coincidentally, I also received a rego reminder two days before the actual rego and it's something I've never received before... it was a threat from NZTA that they were soon to hand my registration bill to a debt collection agency because continuous registration was the requirement. WTF? If I let it lapse that's my problem, there's no cause to threaten collection (and the consequential credit rating implications). FU NZTA.

Anyone else received the same and followed it up with them?

Pretty sure you can’t just let it run out now, you have to either re-register or put it on hold.

I got a Bill for my convertible one year as I was a bit slow putting it on hold, there is a grace period but it’s not too long. Had to pay for the gap between the previous rego expiring and when I put it on hold.

11 hours ago, M3AN said:

But rather coincidentally, I also received a rego reminder two days before the actual rego and it's something I've never received before... it was a threat from NZTA that they were soon to hand my registration bill to a debt collection agency because continuous registration was the requirement. WTF? If I let it lapse that's my problem, there's no cause to threaten collection (and the consequential credit rating implications). FU NZTA.

Anyone else received the same and followed it up with them?

I receive reminders via email. No threat of debt collection though - I'd check that's not phishing.

40 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Pretty sure you can’t just let it run out now, you have to either re-register or put it on hold.

I got a Bill for my convertible one year as I was a bit slow putting it on hold, there is a grace period but it’s not too long. Had to pay for the gap between the previous rego expiring and when I put it on hold.

Same rules around rego apply - it must be continuous. Expired rego (as was the case with my car) is paid backdated when renewed; 12-month+ expired rego will see a rego lapse.

I've had debt collection letters before from nzta for leaving a car with no rego for too long. Guess they are scared you're gonna let it lapse and not back pay it. 

They've been getting worse and worse  theiving barstards.

2 hours ago, gjm said:

I receive reminders via email. No threat of debt collection though - I'd check that's not phishing.

Same rules around rego apply - it must be continuous. Expired rego (as was the case with my car) is paid backdated when renewed; 12-month+ expired rego will see a rego lapse.

Yeah, 'twas a letter, but I was only overdue by 2 months.