Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

Crushed M3 Wagon

Fair enough result. I dont see a problem with this. 

If it was a mint OEM original car and the owner sped in it then crushing is definitely controversial. 

There is conflicting info out there on this one.

I know the cops had to pay the owner because it was crushed before it went to court or something.

The garage that was involved in some of the build made a post about it, and seem to have an issue with police / authority.

9 hours ago, Driftit said:

Ouch. But that's what you get when you're a filthy crim and built your car from stolen vehicles.

You’re assuming that the owner who had the car taken off him and crushed was the thief of the cars or knew parts were stolen.

Story has now reached Driven, with a link to Instagram story, the fact that the judge ordered that the car should be returned and police had to pay out suggest the owner had no knowledge of or part in the thefts. As is often the case innocent buyer has lost out and the criminals not.

7 hours ago, Michael. said:

If it was a mint OEM original car and the owner sped in it then crushing is definitely controversial. 

Why should that make any bit of difference? Both are crimes and the punishment is the same. What the car is shouldn’t matter either, whatever it is, someone has it as their pride and joy.

Interesting that the In the crushing video it looks like a lot of valuable parts have been removed - no engine / box / diff / wheels. Wonder if the scrappy is allowed to sell them as they were stolen..??

• Like 1

Never really agreed with this form of scare mongering. They know this wouldnt be effective if it was some everyday shitbox. Why can't they order destruction via recycling and either have the funds go to police or returned to owners/insurers of the stolen cars? Very wasteful. why pay 5c for coke can when they cant recycle something worth 100x more, just to prove a point? Either way the crim looses their car, But at least it benefits others/ the environment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

You’re assuming that the owner who had the car taken off him and crushed was the thief of the cars or knew parts were stolen.

Story has now reached Driven, with a link to Instagram story, the fact that the judge ordered that the car should be returned and police had to pay out suggest the owner had no knowledge of or part in the thefts. As is often the case innocent buyer has lost out and the criminals not.

Video the cops posted as well just shows some resentment for it being a modified car, they acted as if just making an M3 wagon is some dodgy criminal act in itself. These cops were so gleeful about sending a message to car enthusiasts that they didn't do their homework and crushed a car they shouldn't have. Really a sad waste of a nice car.

I'd hope they tracked down the real thieves behind the apparently stolen cars but funnily enough they didn't seem to comment on that.

They turned comments off on the video so nobody can post the real story there...

• Like 1

Seems very wasteful - I guess they just crush it because the engine and other major parts will always flag in the system as being from a stolen vehicle so just easier to burn the whole thing. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Why should that make any bit of difference? Both are crimes and the punishment is the same. What the car is shouldn’t matter either, whatever it is, someone has it as their pride and joy.

Interesting that the In the crushing video it looks like a lot of valuable parts have been removed - no engine / box / diff / wheels. Wonder if the scrappy is allowed to sell them as they were stolen..??

Speeding once or twice is different to driving a collection of stolen parts with fake tags on them. 

You'd be happy to see an original CSL M3 get crush because the owner went over the speed limit once?  LOL.  

There are differing punishments for different crimes I guess, so it can be argued that the penalty for one (theft) should be different to the other (speeding), although if that M3 CSL owner was speeding at 100kph past a school at 8.30 in the morning then the crushing penalty would be more than justified.

It's the different cars should be treated differently bit that I struggle with, what car the criminal owns shouldn't come into it, whether it's a rare collectable car or a common or garden shopping hatch, the penalty should be the same. Would it be unfortunate if a rare car got crushed because of a criminal, yes, should it still be crushed - hell yes, would I be sad about it? No.

In this instance I think the crushing of the vehicle is down to the non-roadworthyness as much as it's dubious past. In other parts of the story it is referred to as a "cut-and-shut" that has been poorly executed and was deemed unsafe.