Sign in to follow this  
godmars_snakly311

Engine Oil recommended for E46 M3

Hi there

Just want to know which engine oil for E46 M3 is good performance?

As i just read user manual said Castrol only is that true or any better brand?

Cheers

Lots of controversy over this back when I worked at Repco...a long time ago now. Used to order in the 10w60 TWS stuff for a number of m3/e39 M5 customers directly from Castrol. Not sure if it's now been superseded but they were very particular on it being TWS rather than the normal 10w60

• Like 2

https://www.repco.co.nz/en/oils-fluids/engine-oils-fluids/engine-oil/castrol-edge-synthetic-10w-60-engine-oil-5l-3412396/p/A1304624

This and only this pretty much. Occasionally goes on sale every now and then so I just grab a few bottles each time. 

Edited by Harper
  • Like 4

i have a few spare 5L packs of the 10/60 castrol $100 each 

It worth knowing that for years now, if you take any car to BMW for oil servicing, including the E46 M3, they will put Shell oil in it (10w60 for the M3) and not Castrol.

That says an awful lot about the particulars of any (quality) oil beyond the viscosity.

4 hours ago, M3AN said:

It worth knowing that for years now, if you take any car to BMW for oil servicing, including the E46 M3, they will put Shell oil in it (10w60 for the M3) and not Castrol.

That says an awful lot about the particulars of any (quality) oil beyond the viscosity.

Because....... BMW are now aligned with Shell. Not because of the quality  of the Castrol products. 

1 hour ago, Bandit said:

Because....... BMW are now aligned with Shell. Not because of the quality  of the Castrol products. 

Correct (I use Castrol myself in my M3). But what it illustrates is that it's the viscosity that's important, not any minor differences between formulations (e.g. TWS). The differences between Shell and Castrol 10w60's will be vastly greater than between (for example) Castrol 10w60 and Castrol 10w60 TWS.

The answer to the OP's question is "any quality** 10w60 oil", there's no need to make it more complicated than that.

Edit: **fully synthetic 

Edited by M3AN
  • Thanks 1

Hi @godmars_snakly311,
My humble 50 cents.
Fuchs and / or Liqui Moly TEC - both are recommended for High Performance Cars and BMW. I run mine F30 2016 320D with Fuchs that’s my preferred choice. Every 10K km. I change the oil and the filter.  
https://www.fuchs.com/au/en/
https://v1vehicleparts.co.nz/search?q=NOT tag:__gift AND Liqui*&type=product

Edited by VIKINGNZ
Assistance with link for oil