Sign in to follow this  
Kees

BARGAIN M6

Well someone just got an absolute bargain on an E63 M6. Car had done ~50,000km, was NZ New, and was a nice spec with the carbon interior and carbon roof. There was a catch, it had been crashed. 

However, I am no expert with assessing damaged cars but to me at least the car looked reasonably repairable. The structure doesn't really look to have been damaged in the crash and honestly looked in remarkably good condition. The car still rolled and could be pulled onto a transporter. 

Even if the body was toast, surely you could get 5K for the S85 especially seeing it has done 50,000km (and lets be honest S85s are never going to be in short demand). Then there's the SMG box, exhaust, interior, undamaged body panels.

Surely there's at least 10K in parts right there. 

AND ALL OF IT SOLD FOR $4210

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/wrecked-cars/listing/3268500009?bof=FPDzf4bj

Photos are not mine, they were taken from the Trademe listing.

Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 8.28.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 8.28.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 8.29.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 8.31.11 PM.png

Edited by Kees
  • Like 1

Pretty angry I missed this.  I would have paid double.

• Like 1

Yeah, I saw that come up for sale today. I suspect that the vendor intended to have it listed for at least a week , but may have made an error on the auction end date, with it closing the same day of listing. I'm sure if more people were aware of the listing that it would have gone for a lot more... I would put the value of the S85 at around $10k alone at 50,000 genuine km.

I was the one who bitched out at $4200. 

Definitely a great deal. Almost seemed too good to be true

Yeah it looks like he stuffed up.  I search every week for S85's.  And have not seen one.  I miss this one by 2 hours....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, paulo said:

Yeah, I saw that come up for sale today. I suspect that the vendor intended to have it listed for at least a week , but may have made an error on the auction end date, with it closing the same day of listing. I'm sure if more people were aware of the listing that it would have gone for a lot more... I would put the value of the S85 at around $10k alone at 50,000 genuine km.

Yeah I think the same, I saw it at like 1AM this morning at $1.50 with 18 hours left I was like hmmm I think someone has made a listing error here. Car looks to have a genuine 50,000km, carjam shows at last WOF it had 48,000km. Would have bought it myself if I wasn't stuck in level 4 Auckland lol. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, thorburn said:

I was the one who bitched out at $4200. 

Definitely a great deal. Almost seemed too good to be true

Yeah it was honestly so cheap that it seemed way to good to be true. It's strange the seller "couldn't recall" starting it. Surely starting a V10 in a wrecked M6 would be a little memorable. If he proved it could start the bidding would have been ballistic I suspect. 

I was thinking about getting it myself but I'm stuck in Auckland so it would have been too challenging to try and organise getting it up here because it would require some decent man power to get it out of the storage facility and then I'm not even sure if the transporter would be allowed into Auckland. Covid restrictions for Aucklanders would have definitely been another factor contributing to the cheap sale. 

15 minutes ago, Driftit said:

Yeah it looks like he stuffed up.  I search every week for S85's.  And have not seen one.  I miss this one by 2 hours....

Maybe he bid against himself and it could get relisted? Seems like a wise thing to do when your car is about to sell for half or even a third of what it's potentially worth. 

I honestly wonder if the sale will go through. Seems like the seller just lost out big with a silly mistake. 

Could have probably got double if not into the teens easily. 

Everyone would pay $4,200 for it haha 

• Like 1

I know I shouldn’t make fun of things like this…. but I did chuckle with the number plate and radar detector cord still being in place. Looks like Dad got a bit frisky in the M6… 

• Haha 1

On 9/20/2021 at 12:07 AM, Michael. said:

I honestly wonder if the sale will go through. Seems like the seller just lost out big with a silly mistake. 

Could have probably got double if not into the teens easily. 

Everyone would pay $4,200 for it haha 

Agreed, i'd be amazed if they honour the sale.

• Like 1

Oh this was a nice car, lived just round the corner from me. The owner isn't short of a few bob judging by his house/yard.

I got a message from the seller.  It did indeed sell.

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, thorburn said:

Did he intented to put it up for such a short auction 

Unlikely but he didn't mention.

22 hours ago, Driftit said:

I got a message from the seller.  It did indeed sell.

Well the winner of the auction got the bargain of the century... 

On 9/21/2021 at 9:41 PM, thegreatestben said:

Oh this was a nice car, lived just round the corner from me. The owner isn't short of a few bob judging by his house/yard.

Was it his M6 prior to the crash? Or was it purchased from a salvage yard?

5 hours ago, Kees said:

Was it his M6 prior to the crash? Or was it purchased from a salvage yard?

Unsure, it was often parked on the roadside on a very busy street. The house has ample space for cars on the section so I guess he wasn't precious about the car.

4 hours ago, thegreatestben said:

Unsure, it was often parked on the roadside on a very busy street. The house has ample space for cars on the section so I guess he wasn't precious about the car.

Yeah makes sense, thats why he probably didn't care about the sale result and honoured the sale

So two quarter million dollar M6's written off in a matter of months? 😲

People shouldn't be able to own cars they're not qualified to drive.

Edited: one wasn't NZ new and we apparently can't do strike-through text here, probably another hidden forum rule  Clearly not true - Admin.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
  • Haha 1