Sign in to follow this  
leonf

Classic Car insurance

After some good intel from the room, if I may.

In the final throes of getting a Classic Car on the road.  A rhd conversion to be done and then she'll be all ready for summer fun.

Car will need to be insured. Probably worth $75k.  It's not original any more. It's not a BMW either, just fyi.

Car will likely be doing only 2000km/year.  If that.  Definitely only a sunny weekend cruiser (and not much sun here in Manawatu)

Any advice on a good insurer to approach? All my other vehicles are 'work' insured and my Broker has no idea about special cars.

I use Star Insure. 

Have never found them great to deal with, no worries about the values I put on the cars either, which is fairly important 

I've used Classic Cover and they have been great to deal with, albeit I haven't had to make any claims. No issues with modified or "unusual" cars or agreed values.

• Like 1

I use Star Insure for the M4. They are pretty good and offer insurance for classics, track days ect. I have made use of their track day cover.

Never had to make a claim though.

I was with Swann insurance but went off them after a claims scrap. Broker recommended Star so I've gone with them. They had no issues with the modifications (engine swap, power steering retrofit, adjustable height suspension) and their premiums aren't too bad. Can't speak for their claims process. All agreed value, no valuation required. 

Screenshot_20210922-060617_Outlook.jpg

Edited by Cammsport
Sshhpelling
  • Like 1

The quote I received from Star had a $500 excess for glass replacement over $2000 - a new windscreen for modern car can easily cost over $2k as some manufacturers will require new (genuine of course!) seals etc to go with a new windscreen.

I use Classic cover, and have done for a number years. They are very helpful and the rates are very good. 

Classic cover for the wifes 200sx.  I think it is insured for $30K and has a limit of 5000kms per year.  Is cheap at around $600 for the year.  Heavily modified vehicle.

7 hours ago, Cammsport said:

I was with Swann insurance but went off them after a claims scrap. Broker recommended Star so I've gone with them. They had no issues with the modifications (engine swap, power steering retrofit, adjustable height suspension) and their premiums aren't too bad. Can't speak for their claims process. All agreed value, no valuation required. 

Screenshot_20210922-060617_Outlook.jpg

That's a very large difference in premiums. The more expensive car is only 30% of the less expensive car.. Is that because the 316i

is considered a 'Classic Car' and has a yearly km's restriction??

Classic Cover just turned down my application, but that is on me. had 4 claims in 6 months in the summer of 2018-2019.  with the last one being a write off. will have to try others now. 

17 minutes ago, lord_jagganath said:

Classic Cover just turned down my application, but that is on me. had 4 claims in 6 months in the summer of 2018-2019.  with the last one being a write off. will have to try others now. 

Ouch.   Problem with that is you have to disclose that kind of thing cos if you don't........well, they will know.  These guys DO talk to each other.

• Like 1

^ yeah, so I just called up my original insurer, and they told me there's no way my Peugeot can be considered a classic car (lmao) and they will insure it for a grand a year, on 5k agreed value. 

• Sad 1

On 9/22/2021 at 1:42 PM, leonf said:

That's a very large difference in premiums. The more expensive car is only 30% of the less expensive car.. Is that because the 316i

is considered a 'Classic Car' and has a yearly km's restriction??

The e30 is in an alarmed garage, limited to 15,000kms/Yr (probably only do 2000) and yea a classic. 

Use Classic cover for my E46

Excess $250 / $600 a year

41 YO male with a few speeding tickets but no claims (until recently)

Insured for $15,000 and all modifications - parked off-street but not garaged.

They paid for my new Msport bumper without batting an eyelid, having been with them just a few month- I expect my premium may be slightly higher next year :)

Tower wanted over a grand (despite having house / contents / Audi with them) and thats with a $500 excess and a 'valuation' of $7,000.

Edited by Sammo