Sign in to follow this  
selvannair

Do E36 convertibles need a special battery?

Hi All,

Apparently E36 convertibles need a special battery. Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm not too familiar with auto electronics...

Looks like the one I have isn't correct so I want to make sure I get the right one.

I don't think they need a special battery, but, like every car, they do need the CORRECT battery! ;) I don't have specific knowledge of the 'verts, but the owners manual should list it, if not try a friendly BMW parts department.

The internet suggests that there was such a thing as an "anti-scuttle shake" battery. It was specified for convertibles that, because of their reduced torsional rigidity due to the lack of a roof, were susceptible to scuttle shake. I would guess that this would really only be a problem in convertibles that had the battery mounted in the engine compartment close to the firewall. The internet also says that there was at one stage a special "wobbly" battery mounting bracket using rubber anti-vibration mounts that was used to reduce the damaging effects of vibration on the battery. NB: I didn't make this sh*t up... blame the internet :D 

Legend has it that the anti-scuttle shake battery had a more robust internal construction than standard batteries to enable it to withstand higher levels of vibration. However, common sense seems to indicate that if the battery is mounted in the trunk it is unlikely to be affected by scuttle shake, and therefore a standard battery of your choice mounted with factory hardware should be fine (if your battery is mounted in the trunk). If it is mounted in the engine compartment you are on your own :)

Cheers...

Edited by jon dee

23 minutes ago, jon dee said:

The internet suggests that there was such a thing as an "anti-scuttle shake" battery. It was specified for convertibles that, because of their reduced torsional rigidity due to the lack of a roof, were susceptible to scuttle shake. I would guess that this would really only be a problem in convertibles that had the battery mounted in the engine compartment close to the firewall. The internet also says that there was at one stage a special "wobbly" battery mounting bracket using rubber anti-vibration mounts that was used to reduce the damaging effects of vibration on the battery. NB: I didn't make this sh*t up... blame the internet :D 

Legend has it that the anti-scuttle shake battery had a more robust internal construction than standard batteries to enable it to withstand higher levels of vibration. However, common sense seems to indicate that if the battery is mounted in the trunk it is unlikely to be affected by scuttle shake, and therefore a standard battery of your choice mounted with factory hardware should be fine (if your battery is mounted in the trunk). If it is mounted in the engine compartment you are on your own :)

Cheers...

Funnily enough, I've found e53 x5s with the sport pack eat batteries from rough roads/rural driving 🤦‍♂️ love to knock a plate loose 

6 hours ago, dirtydoogle said:

Funnily enough, I've found e53 x5s with the sport pack eat batteries from rough roads/rural driving 🤦‍♂️ love to knock a plate loose 

Never had a vibration problem to contend with, but looking around I see that the Ultima Yellow is supposedly 15 times as vibration resistant as some other not very resistant battery :D  It's a spiral wound AGM design which no doubt would be more vibration resistant than your average flooded lead-acid battery. Otherwise some kind of resilient mounting between the battery box and the frame to absorb the high frequency/high G-force vibes would be the go... seems that is what BM thought anyways. 

Cheers...

ultima yellow.png

Edited by jon dee
Forgot pic...
  • Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 4:52 PM, jon dee said:

Cheers...

I legit though Brent was taking the piss 😂 Thanks for clearing that up.