Sign in to follow this  
Sammo

N54 Buying Tips?

Sooo... will be in the market for a new car for the wife (and something I'll drive also drive a lot too).

A silver lining of our ongoing painful experience with an Audi Lemon has let me talk her into considering something Bavarian in the new year.

I've managed to talk her into looking at an E82 135i - has to be a coupe and smallish, otherwise I would be pushing for something like an F20 / F31 / MK7 GTI.

She likes a the cute, stumpy looks and they seem to be becoming a bit of a cult car - I like that almost every E82 is a 135i as well.

I am aware the N54 carries a bit of a reputation, so I would either be wanting to go for something from a dealer with warranty, unless a private seller had a bunch of the key pain points sorted already.

Wastegate rattle / HPFP / Injectors / Water pump?

Any tips / advice - is it worth spending a little more and getting one with an N55 & DCT? (it won't be modded an any meaningful way)

Edited by Sammo
  • Like 1

I would just go for the best low kms example you can find/afford and hopefully its previously owned by a sensible person. 

Wouldnt personally bother with dealer warranty and just put that $2-3k for my own maintenance.

I dont think you should discount the N54 if its a nice example but definitely drive both N54 auto and N55 auto/dct and see how you feel.

I personally am biased towards the N55 engine being "better", especially if you are not looking to modify it like most 135 owners. 

• Like 2

@qube Definitely could be a plan - go private to skip dealer premium and set some cash aside for maintenance.  Only issue is so many privately owned 135i's have been bombing around pretty stock with remaps for several years so harder to find a 'clean' one.

Will definitely drive an N54 Tip / N55 DCT and might still try pushing the M135i, but hatch is a hard sell...

The E82 are a great looking car. I would go N55 for sure and DCT over slush box, seeing as your chances of finding a manual are slim. Try and avoid the later ones with the clown sized door mirrors.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blackie said:

The E82 are a great looking car. I would go N55 for sure and DCT over slush box, seeing as your chances of finding a manual are slim. Try and avoid the later ones with the clown sized door mirrors.

Yeah, she wouldn't really want a manual anyways - N55 / DCT sounds like the go as they tend to be lower kms too (although more spendy).

Didn't realise the LCI had big mirrors - can retrofit the nicer LCI taillights though.

Not sure if CCC vs CIC was an LCI thing, seems most 2009 onwards have the nicer navigation screens.

Also been looking for one.

Not much on offer when it comes to DCT or Manual that is in the reasonable value zone.

Feel the dealer cars are artificially holding the prices high.

you have to really try the DCT because some people might find it very clunky especially at low speeds. It is definitely more fun when you're driving it compared to an auto but its not (usually) as smooth when just potting about in town/traffic. 

I would go for the LCI whenver possible. Blackline taillights are awesome upgrades from a visual perspective on these cars. 

But I do think its a bit crazy to spend $25k on one of these when the F20 is just so much more for the same $. The N55 & ZF8 is a dream in the F20.

48 minutes ago, qube said:

you have to really try the DCT because some people might find it very clunky especially at low speeds. It is definitely more fun when you're driving it compared to an auto but its not (usually) as smooth when just potting about in town/traffic. 

I would go for the LCI whenver possible. Blackline taillights are awesome upgrades from a visual perspective on these cars. 

But I do think its a bit crazy to spend $25k on one of these when the F20 is just so much more for the same $. The N55 & ZF8 is a dream in the F20.

Will definitely try to drive both when the time comes, does seem like a fair bit more car for $5k or so.

A shame M235is are so much!

I had my N55 DCT 135i for just over 3.5 years. What a car, miss it heaps.Test drove lots of n54's before deciding and the DCT sold it for me. Agree with Kyu in saying it's not the smoothest in traffic etc but once you get used to not creeping too much in traffic it's fine. The shifts are unbelievable in sport mode. The combo of the N55 and the DCT is a true winner.

From a reliability perspective, I did the usual plugs and coils etc as preventative maintenance but I had zero issues other than a leaky o-ring on a sensor on top of the gearbox. Wasn't a major but required the box to be dropped to replace. Engine was faultless. Would highly recommend one. Oh and most of them wouldn't have had a gearbox service due to the lifetime fluid crap from BMW, that made a huge difference once I did it.

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't be so quick to write off a low KM auto either. With a stage 1 or 2 Xhp flash it makes it a very responsive transmission. Just make sure it does get serviced.

• Like 2

My old one is for sale again, although a lot dirtier and with some new wheels. Don't understand how people put cars up for sale without giving it a basic clean:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/135i/listing/3330547223

This is what it looked like clean🤣

IMG_20200713_163844.jpg

IMG_20200713_163303.jpg

Edited by Navin
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1