Sign in to follow this  
Sol53

X5 4.8is

Any one else looked at this X5 4.8is at U-Sell?

It’s toast, needs valve stem seals done, smoke a lot, has faulty transfer case with 7k quote to repair, self levelling suspension isn’t working, throwing a bunch of codes, oil leaks etc, sunroof stuck open, rats have been living in the engine bay, paint work is quite rough, only really good for parts or DIY project as the cost to fix would be huge. 
But the owner won’t go bellow 9k!  They are only worth around 13-15k in good condition. 

It’s the only 4.8is for sale in NZ at the moment so maybe he thinks he can get top dollar. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2772748692.htm

• Thanks 1

That explains why it has been for sale for over a year.

• Like 1

Personally, Id always take a 4.6is over a 4.8is every day of the week

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zero said:

Personally, Id always take a 4.6is over a 4.8is every day of the week

I like the extra power of the 4.8is but would be 100% happy with a 4.6is. Not many around in good condition of either model these days. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Palazzo said:

That explains why it has been for sale for over a year.

Yeah that’s crazy. 

21 minutes ago, Michael. said:

Staying away from the N62 would probably be the first best decision. 

As long as the N62 has had the common issues sorted and has been well maintained there’s no reason the engine can’t be enjoyed for a long time. Unfortunately this one has had nothing done to it. 

M62 has it’s own set of issues. But both engines are a lot of fun to drive, I prefer the M62 but there’s not a lot of choice around these days finding a good example in the E53 V8 IS range. So would be happy with either. 

• Like 1

I'd take chain guide issues over valve stem seal issues any day. N62 is rubbish unless immaculately cared for, which they haven't been. 

I went & saw this a few months back. Spoke to the owner who resides in Vanuatu (owns a resort there so he’s not really interested in tryna make money)  he purchased the car almost 2 years ago for $17,000. Not sure what condition it was in when he bought it but it’s definitely in dire need of saving now. I think in the end the lowest he’s willing to let it go for is $8,000. Could probably haggle him down to $7k I reckon. It’s been sitting there for a year with him paying around $200 a month I think it is the fee at U-Sell? Probably would’ve been able to tick off a few jobs with that money instead. 

Also just to save someone some $$ who’s wanting to do a PPI on it 🙏🏽

1B923FD4-D80F-4DEF-BF71-24E0D6D5BF3C.thumb.jpeg.0a4e81da993dc545c3a88aa8799f2aee.jpeg

Edited by boyish

Thanks mate. We meet again. Looking at the same cars. 

it’s worse than what they have listed. The owner got a quote to do the transfer case. Was around 8k. 
and the valve stem seals are definitely gone. That’s about 5k. Shocks not working.  

it’s not worth the repair cost to fix it, as it’s in bad general condition anyway, unless it’s major DIY. And even then it needs so much done it’s not worth the time unless you got it for next to nothing. 
I imagine it will eventually get sold to a wrecker, as some of the parts will be worth good money. 
the owner of u-sell doesn’t seem to mind it sitting there racking up fees. Thats their business model. 
I’m sure the owner isn’t trying to make money but I can’t see how it went form being 17k car 2 years ago to what it is now. It’s been really neglected and I think he bought a dud in the first place which is unfortunate, but he needs to cut his losses otherwise he’ll end up owing u-sell more than he will get for the car. 

• Like 1

Agreed, maybe if he’s willing to let it go for a couple grand? 😂

Paid $17k 2 years ago and has been at usell for at least 17 months. Bought a dud.

• Like 1

Anybody still looking for a 4.8is? I’m about to trade mine in and thought I’d put this out here in the event somebody could be keen.

On 5/26/2022 at 11:00 AM, Low20 said:

Anybody still looking for a 4.8is? I’m about to trade mine in and thought I’d put this out here in the event somebody could be keen.

Could be interested fella. Details?