Sign in to follow this  
jon dee

When loading old posts that have been revived...

Why does the site open the post at the #1 original 10 year old post and not at the latest post added ?? This can lead the easily confused reader (like myself) into responding to a years old post that has had its day and died a natural death. Current topics don't have this problem and (nearly) always open at the latest post.

Cheers...

How are you accessing the threads? Are you responding to a notification, browsing through the forums, etc? Also are you on a phone or PC?

Desktop PC... go to forums index page and click on the latest topic posting showing in the right hand column. Never used to have this issue but now it happens a lot. Today it opened the first post on the second page of a 2-page thread.

Cheers...

@jon dee I can't be 100% sure but I think opening a thread that way takes you to the last point in the thread that you had looked at previously, so it shows you all the "new" posts that you haven't viewed before.

So, if it's a really old post that you have not looked at previously it will take you back to the start, if it's a thread you have been into before it will take you to a point in the middle of the thread somewhere.

I could well be wrong, but that is the way it seems to me.

Another way to go into the thread is to go into the sub-forums, where it lists all the threads and shows their created dates and the number of pages, if you click on the page number it takes you directly there. So it if's a 10-year old thread with 20 pages you can choose where you want to start looking, might not be ideal, but does give you an element of control.

That's how it appears to be working. I'm reasonably familiar with how forums handle posts, but I don't recall ever coming across one that didn't go to the latest post when using the link in the right hand column. Yes, clicking on the forum heading does give the option of selecting which page you wish to open as is usual. And remembering the last post read and going there is a nice feature once you realise what is going on.

So all good... I've been schooled :)

Cheers...

• Like 1