Sign in to follow this  
smiddy

N54 MHD V9 Throttle Sensitivity update

Has anyone else tried the MHD latest add on to V9 maps?

Sliding scale setting, throttle pedal signal  reducing function as used on the 1M it says.

Loaded it yesterday, works great! Set at 70%,(less delay from stock), feels just like a cable unit, improves manual auto shifts noticably(xhp stg2).

Also for $80 odd, loaded stge 2 MHD maps V9.

• Like 1

With this upgrade will my manual mode be faster than this guy jamming gears ?

Not bad for an old 5.0 litre N.A. with a manual gearbox :) Runs 6-1/2 seconds and 103 mph in the 1/8 mile... sounds mean !!!!

Cheers...

• Like 1

Lol, certainly jaming gears alright! Don't think a clutch pedal is involved in those shifts, does sound strong.

If you look closely at the in-car vid you can see his left leg twitching :) Pretty sure he is flat shifting as when you listen to him talking in the full vid he talks about missed shifts and having a problem with a broken shift fork. Either way, I always vote for DIY cars that get the front wheels off the ground ... old school cool :)

Got the update downloaded and ready to flash, but realised it has been a long time since I used manual mode. Now I have to go for a bit of a drive before I flash the tune so I can get a better idea of the current MHD/xHP shifting to make a comparison with the new shift speed tweak. I think I will try 50% first up.

Cheers...

Flashed the MHD Adjust Throttle Sensitivity option with the setting at 50% of scale. Went for a short drive in Sports mode and noticed some glitches in the shifting... like the DME and TCU weren't synched correctly. Going to give that a bit of time to see if the adaptions sort that out (I am not a big believer in resetting adaptions as a first course of action). Then I switched to Manual mode and yes, changes certainly seem to be crisper than before :)

I'd like to do a bit more driving before experimenting with higher settings. Today I had a lot of trouble getting my generic D-CAN cable to make a solid connection between my tablet and the DME. Must have taken half an hour and about 20 attempts before it would play ball.... :argggg-min:Need to find a better way.

Cheers...

Yeah, I find adding anything new, from hardware to software takes a day or two, maybe 4-5 start/ stop runs to perform smooth.

I tried it last week, didn't like it and reverted back to having it off. Maybe need to play around with values more...

9 hours ago, limepanda said:

I tried it last week, didn't like it and reverted back to having it off.

What specifically did you not like about it ? As far as I can tell on my car it does not bang the shifts any harder.... just shortens the (small) delay between moving the shift lever and the shift actually occurring. But I'm on 50% and haven't tried any other settings.

EDIT: Had another read of the MHD press release and get the impression that the throttle sensitivity thing is more for the manual gearbox cars. Maybe that is why I haven't noticed any big difference with my auto ?

Cheers...

Edited by jon dee
Second thoughts...

I'm on 75% was from the start.

Takes a few days to get used to the slight pressure and go, but like it a lot, won't move values from this setting.

Certainly in manual shift mode as stated, there is a slight shift change, more of a firmer snappy feel, which to me in manual mode is ideal.

No change detected in D or S mode.

10 hours ago, jon dee said:

What specifically did you not like about it ? As far as I can tell on my car it does not bang the shifts any harder.... just shortens the (small) delay between moving the shift lever and the shift actually occurring. But I'm on 50% and haven't tried any other settings.

EDIT: Had another read of the MHD press release and get the impression that the throttle sensitivity thing is more for the manual gearbox cars. Maybe that is why I haven't noticed any big difference with my auto ?

Cheers...

Throttle felt too touchy, I think it's smoother without it. In saying that I just slid it all the way to minimum lag 🤷🏼‍♂️

23 hours ago, limepanda said:

Throttle felt too touchy, I think it's smoother without it. In saying that I just slid it all the way to minimum lag 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reading some of the comment on-line the throttle sensitivity mod seems to have been welcomed by a number of people who had been complaining about slow throttle response... as in stabbing the throttle does not bring the kind of engine response typically found in a tuned N.A. engine. Having a small delay in throttle response helps smooth out the rise in power delivery and gives the turbo controls a little more time to do their thing. This is not really an issue with an auto trans.

But with a manual trans, a fast throttle response is pretty much mandatory if you want to drive quickly. Gear changes, especially when using heel and toe techniques, rely on precise control of the engine speed. So your comment is on the money... I suspect that BMW knew what they were doing when they put a little delay in the throttle response on auto trans cars.

People who buy the auto version (me now) like "smooth and powerful" whereas people who buy the manual like to have full control over gear selection and shift points. Nothing wrong with that... I loved driving manual trans cars right up to the time that I discovered a late model auto could shift smoother and faster than I could :D

Cheers...

• Like 1

Kind of a post script.... after driving with the throttle sensitivity set at 50% I have concluded that it does nothing to enhance my driving pleasure. I drive almost exclusively in auto mode and really like the way the car responds to throttle inputs for my style of driving. Increasing the throttle sensitivity made it a little more difficult to get a "quick but smooth" takeoff when joining a stream of moving traffic. So I have set the sensitivity back to zero. BM engineers put that little delay in to give the best "driving experience" for drivers in the intended market, and that works for me 👍

The faster response to shift inputs in manual mode is cool and all. But as I rarely use that mode except for my own entertainment on the odd occasion that I am presented with an empty stretch of tasty road, I am happy enough with the standard shift response.

Cheers...