Sign in to follow this  
Ghost Chip

E30 steering linkage for purple tag swap

For context I’m running a m52 swapped e30 with a purple tag rack, and revshift motor and transmission mounts

Asked this on the project thread but thought may  get more answers here. Getting a lot of road vibrations on the steering wheel in high speeds/motorway, not noticeable in idle or when driving around residential roads. Feel like the two culprits could be the mounts or the steering linkage. Want to ask a question for people who have similar set ups or have a better clue than I do. What are you running for your mounts and steering linkage?

Mine currently look like below compared to what it should be like.

1E02DE81-4C70-498F-93CC-2E72082941E8.thumb.jpeg.423c277d05133d99eb2b17558a0ae4e6.jpeg41F9F6F9-25D6-4939-976D-88B5E105512A.thumb.png.c7698d77ed2f3bb88dad26889f6e6885.png

I was looking at a post that talked about doing a e36 hybrid (upper UJ from e30 and lower UJ from e36) which keeps the guibo looking thing to then hopefully reduce the vibrations. It looks like mine just got deleted to make it fit. 

Other solutions seem to be to use the barina linkage which I have no clue on.

I think your vibrations will be from the lack of rubber dampener, that I assume was removed to clear the manifold? When turning under acceleration, does the shaft contact the exhaust manifold? 

Your best bet is the Barina shaft mod and swap. It involves fitting the upper e30 mount to the Barina shaft. The shaft is collapsible which absorbs alot of the vibration. I think I have a more in depth how-to on my build? If not, there's a few on the interwebs. It's a fiddly job (needle rollers on the UJ bearings) and a dremel with a small cut off wheel makes life easier. There was one already done on TradeMe recently. 

Also, my certifier wanted a heat shroud made to protect the bearings, more specifically the grease, from the heat given off from the exhaust manifold. He said wrapping the exhaust manifold would do. You might get away with it however. 

• Like 1

@Cammsport I’m not sure as I’m not too sure how I would know if it contacted it haha, but even on a straight in the motorway it’s the same.

Ah, I’ll have a look at your thread and have a further dig on the old interwebs.

Car is certed already so looks like PO got away with it? I wonder if it would be worth doing it anyway to insulate the engine bay from more heat.

Cheers for the help Cam