Sign in to follow this  
Frodo88

2010-12 X5 M

Hi all,

Currently shopping for an SUV for family (baby + 2 dogs) my original choice (sensible choice) was a 2015 Highlander but I keep coming back the two 2010-2012 X5 M on trademe. I don't mind DIYing on vehicles but are these completely unreliable and expensive parts wise? lots of horror stories on the internet around the N63 which I'm lead to believe is quite different than the s63. 

Thoughts and views?

Cheers

• Like 2

That Melbourne Red over Silverstone 2 is a crazy spec eh! 

Someone on here had one for sale, it had a motor failure and was replaced with another motor, which had the same problem beginning, so had to be fully rebuilt.

Add 98 octane fuel prices into the mix and I would say find a good diesel. They are quicker than you'd think and it doesn't matter if they're empty or loaded.

The M50d X5 is a very capable all-rounder, ok it sounds different but is still pretty rapid. On the upside it can also run along very frugally if you can keep off the loud pedal, especially when towing. 

Unless you really want the sound of the big V8 and that little extra bit of acceleration the M50d is a very good alternative.

2 hours ago, Palazzo said:

Like this one that I nearly bought off the previous owner for $29k last year.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/x5/listing/3292385992?bof=yPprpeN2

Off topic, but I dont think the vendor listing photos on the boat ramp is a good idea 😅

Compared to a Highlander, yes they are horribly unreliable and expensive to fix.  Compared to other BMW, only a bit worse that average.

Thanks for all the feedback - the m50d is an interesting one, wasn't really aware of it. Will check those out, is that their normal price range high 30/low 40 or are the current sellers reaching? Out of touch for values on the bmw front. Any significant things to look out for the m50d?