Sign in to follow this  
cleanish_e46

E30 - Wet Carpet

Long story short: a pipe burst at home and for five minutes a lot of water covered everything in the kitchen and garage below. 

The passenger footwell is soaking. I guess it got in through the intake vents under the windscreen.

Has anyone had success drying the carpet without removing it from the car? 

The car is on an angle as the front is on jack stands so the water has pooled towards the rear, in the rear passengers footwell.

Can I lift the carpet up from the rear to dry it? Just as much as necessary as it’s not all wet. 

Any advice appreciated. 

You could take the seats out, and sill trim that retains the carpet and try lift it up bit to get some airflow under it. Chuck a dehumidifier in the car and see how it goes. Unfortunately the carpet has some pretty thick foam under neath it that holds water really well.

Seats are out, but yes I think I will remove the sill trims and see how much more I can lift it up. 

Had a dehumidifier running in the car all day, certainly smells better than it did, but like you say that foam underneath will be difficult to dry. 

Floor pans look good and solid from what I’ve seen so far so there’s the silver lining.