Sign in to follow this  
Cammsport

School me on the E70 X5

Hi all, we've recently been looking at 7 seaters to replace our E91 to give us some more flexibility. Ideally we'd like the facelift and Motorsport for the aesthetics (hopefully the suspension isn't as crashy as our Msport E91). Eyeing up the 30d and 40d, no real preference yet. Won't be towing really and will mostly be driven around Auckland with the odd trip out to the Coromandel/Taupo. Gutted the 7 seater option doesn't have spare wheel capacity as I'm not the biggest fan of RFs. 

What options were available and commonly seen in NZ? Were the NZ new allocations better equipped? 

Thanks for any advice and opinions! 

Facelift is definitely the way to go (ZF 8 speed vs a 6 speed in the PFL). How short would your round town journeys be? Might start to run into difficulties with never getting up to temp/carbon build up and the economy isn't going to be amazing either. The diesels are nicer to drive due to the torque though. My N57-engined car (same as 40d) takes 13-18km to get to temp (mix of round town and motorway running)

• Like 2

Facelift is definitely the way to go, but imo ,with the newest ones being 2013, the prices may not differ so much with F15s.  

Edited by lord_jagganath
  • Like 1

I do the same driving as you, down to the trips away. It doesn’t heat up for 9-10km.

Facelift, and as highly optioned as you can find. Heads up and 360 cameras were on the e70, as were adaptive headlights (?).

20” wheels now have reasonably priced run flat options if you’re not too fussy on brand, 21” are still orphans. Some nz new fl seem to be well equipped, just check the car.

As above, after 3 months of searching, I ended up with an f15, a 30d has pretty much identical performance as an e70 40d.

I get 9.3l/100 as my long term average.

Edited by Palazzo
  • Like 1

We have a 2010 35d which we bought new in Perth. Been the best vehicle and amazing economy on open road.  110 - 120 kph from Perth to Esperance (700k) in 40 degree temp on less than a tank and under 9l/100km.  Not sure over here but in Oz the 30d was a single turbo whereas the 35d is a twin turbo and I think the 40d which came out mid 2010 was twin turbo and as mentioned above, had the 8 speed transmission.  Ours has the sport pack with sport seats etc and we optioned it with Style 214 20' wheels. We have towed a horse float with ours since we bought it.  Touch wood, it has never missed a beat.  It's my wife's car and she loves it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, balancerider said:

How short would your round town journeys be? Might start to run into difficulties with never getting up to temp/carbon build up and the economy isn't going to be amazing either.

I'll have to make sure to get it up to temp before returning home, kindy drop offs etc would be the worry. 

2 hours ago, lord_jagganath said:

Facelift is definitely the way to go, but imo ,with the newest ones being 2013, the prices may not differ so much with F15s.  

An F15 is much more modern looking and no doubt is better equipped but there's roughly a $15k-$20k difference between similar optioned E70s vs F15. Could be worth waiting until they come down a bit further? But then there's always going to be the NEXT model I guess? 

What options do you guys have that are a step up from the average POV spec? The 360 & overhead cams will give us great piece of mind. I see there was one listed with ventilated seats, would be nice but probably not necessary Hahaha. I'm a sucker for high specd cars, especially if we were to keep for 10 years or so. 

If you’re after an E70 X5 then the 30d Performance Edition is worth looking out for, it was a local NZ developed offering including increased options and 20” rims, added Performance Bodykit and Edition badging.

Was a very good seller as new vehicles, and have very good re-sale values.

• Thanks 1

For the temp, you can just get on the motorway regularly for a clean out.

Adaptive LEDs are awesome.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

If you’re after an E70 X5 then the 30d Performance Edition is worth looking out for, it was a local NZ developed offering including increased options and 20” rims, added Performance Bodykit and Edition badging.

Was a very good seller as new vehicles, and have very good re-sale values.

Thanks! Sounds like what I'm after. 

Bring back the days of the rear facing 3rd row in station wagons I reckon. Probably struggle with safety ratings now if imagine. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Cammsport said:

Bring back the days of the rear facing 3rd row in station wagons I reckon. Probably struggle with safety ratings now if imagine. 

Or the 3rd row facing each other on opposite sides

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cammsport said:

There were 4 AMG E55 wagons sold in NZ, at least some of them have the 3rd row of seats.

• Like 2

Whatever you do, stay away from imported 'blue performance' ones

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2021 at 6:03 PM, Gaz said:

Whatever you do, stay away from imported 'blue performance' ones

A friend has one and has a good run. He mentioned the dealer he bought it from did the “blue” delete and got more “performance” iirc they’re basically a 40d with the adBlue emissions crap?

1 hour ago, BreakMyWindow said:

A friend has one and has a good run. He mentioned the dealer he bought it from did the “blue” delete and got more “performance” iirc they’re basically a 40d with the adBlue emissions crap?

Yeah the car itself is identical but the adblue system is horrible design and when it goes tits up, it's a shocker. Deleting it is the best way, not exactly legal anymore however

• Like 2

On 10/14/2021 at 9:51 PM, Gaz said:

Yeah the car itself is identical but the adblue system is horrible design and when it goes tits up, it's a shocker. Deleting it is the best way, not exactly legal anymore however

hey Gaz, the adblue is giving me the nightmare on my imported X6, already burnt $1K with Continental BMW and still nothing is fixed and they insist I bring it back for more diagnostic so they can continue to work on the "process of elimination". They refuse to give me quote to replace the SCR injector and NOX sensors, which are the key components of adblue and could solve the problem. I would really appreciate any solution or recommendation to a reliable workshop in Auckland!

59 minutes ago, floh said:

hey Gaz, the adblue is giving me the nightmare on my imported X6, already burnt $1K with Continental BMW and still nothing is fixed and they insist I bring it back for more diagnostic so they can continue to work on the "process of elimination". They refuse to give me quote to replace the SCR injector and NOX sensors, which are the key components of adblue and could solve the problem. I would really appreciate any solution or recommendation to a reliable workshop in Auckland!

I would suggest you talk to Joe Clifton at Eurosurgeon.  They are big fans of the BMW diesels and know what they're doing.  Just don't expect them to be cheap, however they'll probably still save you money in the long run as they take out the guesswork.

10 hours ago, floh said:

What's the fault? Don't know anyone personally in Auckland but currys suggestion of Eurosurgeon is a good one, only heard good things. 

have a 7 seater msport 30d for sale , maybe a bit of a project but goes ok 

IMG_0227.JPG

12 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

What else can you tell us about this Brent, what's wrong with it

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/4176539232466569/

give me a call if you like 021433600

Edited by BM WORLD