Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

School me on the F25 X3

In the market for one. Leaning towards an N55 equipped model. Aside from usual maintenance and oil leaks are these generally pretty good?

• Like 1

I got the 30d - been bulletproof.

Family has N55 version. Sounds great, sucks gas. Both are grunty, but I think I prefer the diesel. 

The LCI (and LCI wheels) are nicer, but the premium is not worth it IMO. 

Would buy again....

image.thumb.png.123dd152eceac6be37ddf32533478d8b.png

• Like 1

Awesome cars, rate them highly. the 35i N55 model is awesome, doesnt use as much petrol as you think. 10-11km/L from my experience.

Usual N55 engine issue - charge pipe. But otherwise all good. keep up oil change intervals and should be fine.

definitely get the Msport varient and stick with the pre LCI for best value cuz like nick said, the premium of $10-15k for the facelift is not worth it imo.

I too would definitely buy again if I was in the market for a sporty suv.

• Like 1

I would add I was cross shopping with an f30 wagon. They look cooler, but I struggled to find a good spec. Anyway, I assume you're not using this as a 'sports car' - it's a family/utility car. I think the X3 is actually more fun. It's still awesome to drive 7/10th, and the SUV height is novel and more fun I reckon. (Can't beat 'em, join 'em?). 

I keep asking Mrs what the fantasy upgrade is (Maccan, Ionic 5, Merc, SQ5 etc...) And she's just like 'new x3'. Which is not really that different. (unless CarPlay is an essential - which can be retrofitted). 

X3 35i is more (and can be) a mini X3 M more than the 335i /M3 in my opinion.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, m325i said:

I would add I was cross shopping with an f30 wagon. They look cooler, but I struggled to find a good spec. Anyway, I assume you're not using this as a 'sports car' - it's a family/utility car. I think the X3 is actually more fun. It's still awesome to drive 7/10th, and the SUV height is novel and more fun I reckon. (Can't beat 'em, join 'em?). 

I keep asking Mrs what the fantasy upgrade is (Maccan, Ionic 5, Merc, SQ5 etc...) And she's just like 'new x3'. Which is not really that different. (unless CarPlay is an essential - which can be retrofitted). 

X3 35i is more (and can be) a mini X3 M more than the 335i /M3 in my opinion.

It’s mainly for wife but i’ll be using it a fair bit. We’re also considering the f48 x1 with the 25i b48 lump. 

Bit of a price diff between the  f48 x1 and a pfl f25 x3.

way more performance out of the 35i x3 but the b48 in the x1 is a great engine also. The x1 will definitely be a bit smaller when sitting inside but newer tech which could be nice. 

both great cars anyway.

There’s a 2015 x1 25i for about 3k more than the x3 35i we’re going to look at. I guess the b48 is still to new to reveal any secrets. Which is a good thing in my case haha.

Is the x1 the silver one? If so, its non msport?

The B48 is relatively new but it is so widely used in a lot of new bmw models as well as the Mini Cooper S JCW. It was a very nice 4 pot engine from my experience with the slightly lower kW version in the Cooper S non JCW.

Edited by qube

7 hours ago, qube said:

Is the x1 the silver one? If so, its non msport?

The B48 is relatively new but it is so widely used in a lot of new bmw models as well as the Mini Cooper S JCW. It was a very nice 4 pot engine from my experience with the slightly lower kW version in the Cooper S non JCW.

Yeah the silver one. Not too fussed about m sport on the x1 tbh. F25 definitely looks better with msport bits.

4 hours ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Yeah the silver one. Not too fussed about m sport on the x1 tbh. F25 definitely looks better with msport bits.

Fair enough, it certainly looks very tidy and will be a very nice modern car.

I think you would have a better idea on preference after test driving both the x1 and the x3. 

for the similar or less money than the x1 you could get a very nice x3 35i with low kms but it will be an older year car like 2012~

There are some nice x3's for sale at the moment for 20-22k..

• Like 1

Test drove a 35i x3 and an f48 x1 25i.

X3 is a nicer car compared to the x1. Feels more bmw like and the n55 is a decent unit. X1 to me felt more hatch back like but the b48 engine is awesome.

Tempted to pull the trigger on x3 but will look at a few non bmw suv’s in our price range to compare.

• Like 2

Yep, I think you're right on the money. N55 is a good engine, and the new B series engines are awesome too.

Any details on the X3 you went to see?

What other cars are you considering? The obvious ones that come to mind are the Q3, Tiguan, Mazda CX range, Kias and Hyundais.

4 hours ago, qube said:

Yep, I think you're right on the money. N55 is a good engine, and the new B series engines are awesome too.

Any details on the X3 you went to see?

What other cars are you considering? The obvious ones that come to mind are the Q3, Tiguan, Mazda CX range, Kias and Hyundais.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-3061820931.htm

Overall good nick, did notice some corrosion on the alu bits in the engine bay so would def need a closer look underneath, and a check over of usual anti rust coating areas..

Looking at 2017+ cx-5 and 2015+ outbacks, maybe the xv and Forrester too. Can’t say there’s alot of enthusiasm towards Audi, VW or Kia, Hyaundai etc. Not in a huge rush so willing to hunt around seeming as there’s f uck all else to do atm 😅

• Like 2

yep, saw that one, its a nice one with very modest kms and fair price tag.

I guess the medit of the kia and hyundai is you get an almost new car for similar money to an older euro. 

Some of those newer subarus are quite nice too!

Don’t get a diesel CX-5, esp pre 2017. Stick to the petrol, 2.5. The CEO of a warranty company put me onto that. There’s 3 CX models in the family (3,5,9) and all have been basically faultless.

If you get a CX5 at all that is.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

Don’t get a diesel CX-5, esp pre 2017. Stick to the petrol, 2.5. The CEO of a warranty company put me onto that. There’s 3 CX models in the family (3,5,9) and all have been basically faultless.

If you get a CX5 at all that is.

Brought a 2017 2.2d cx-5 ( current model) . Issues with carbon build up / throttle body issues sorted. Very euro styled interior and drives well. Wife has been doing 17k-22k a year using it for school run , work / motorway and all our NZ holidays.  Engine is great , something like 420nm from idle , 130 kw but never needs to get over 3500 rpm.  Average fuel consumption has been 6.5l /1000 and roughly 700km between conservative fill ups. Quite often change from $80 for fill up.  Driving the torque is amazing on this small engine . Same as 4.4 bmw v8. Overtaking is safe with a real surge around the NZ speed limit mark. Has all the latest safety bits like auto braking, will stop in reverse if child goes behind car and the usual auto everything. 

Tried a 2016 f25 20d Motorsport beforehand. For the wife f25 a bit high and too firm a ride and no candy apple red. Quite a heavy car but the 8 speed auto was great and heated leather seats were usual bmw quality.

Down side of the Cx5. Headrests,  as a bit to far forward so some and don’t adjust backwards. 

Worth while having a drive ( latest model ) and March 2018 on have 140kw- 450nm 2.2 d which hasn’t had any advisories or throttle body checks  or bore wear.

That’s all good to hear, sounds like yours does enough ks to avoid some issues. The early ones seemed to have all sorts going wrong.

On 10/17/2021 at 1:52 PM, Neal said:

Brought a 2017 2.2d cx-5 ( current model) . Issues with carbon build up / throttle body issues sorted. Very euro styled interior and drives well. Wife has been doing 17k-22k a year using it for school run , work / motorway and all our NZ holidays.  Engine is great , something like 420nm from idle , 130 kw but never needs to get over 3500 rpm.  Average fuel consumption has been 6.5l /1000 and roughly 700km between conservative fill ups. Quite often change from $80 for fill up.  Driving the torque is amazing on this small engine . Same as 4.4 bmw v8. Overtaking is safe with a real surge around the NZ speed limit mark. Has all the latest safety bits like auto braking, will stop in reverse if child goes behind car and the usual auto everything. 

Tried a 2016 f25 20d Motorsport beforehand. For the wife f25 a bit high and too firm a ride and no candy apple red. Quite a heavy car but the 8 speed auto was great and heated leather seats were usual bmw quality.

Down side of the Cx5. Headrests,  as a bit to far forward so some and don’t adjust backwards. 

Worth while having a drive ( latest model ) and March 2018 on have 140kw- 450nm 2.2 d which hasn’t had any advisories or throttle body checks  or bore wear.

Looking at diesel 2017 cx-5 on Friday. Pre 2017 diesels seem to have quite the bad rep. Was your one expensive to fix engine wise?

I’m guessing the 28i / 3.0p is an N52? Maybe not enough torque for these?

15 hours ago, Sammo said:

I’m guessing the 28i / 3.0p is an N52? Maybe not enough torque for these?

Had considered the 28i but hard to look past the 35i when pricing is pretty much the same.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 8:10 PM, BreakMyWindow said:

Looking at diesel 2017 cx-5 on Friday. Pre 2017 diesels seem to have quite the bad rep. Was your one expensive to fix engine wise?

We brought it new with 3 years free services and 5 year warranty. The car is at 60,000 kms now and other than a factory remap on an advisory it’s just been service / oil change every 10,000 km. 

We’ve had one service that we paid for which was under $400 so out of lockdown that would be  roughly $600 a year for 17,000 kms.

Tyres seem to last to around the 500km mark.

One issue that we weren’t expecting was speeding tickets . TD are so quiet and revs so low that it’s hard to determine speed .But the Nav system will remind you for fixed cameras.

Can’t seem to look past the f25. They certainly drive the best out of all suv’s we’ve test driven. Having driven a few of the n55 examples they’re certainly no slouch and have a nice bark.

I’ve lined up a 20d and 30d for this weekend to test drive and will probably make a decision from there. 

Thanks for all the input! 

Good choice, would have been a little surprised if the 30d didn't do it for you.