Sign in to follow this  
hqstu

M62TU sump gasket "weep"

Keen to know what peoples experiences are with M62 etc lower sump gasket replacement.

I have a couple weeping/leaking oil after a gasket change?

Do people add RTV as extra sealing?

Seems to be more on the rear edge of sump as opposed to side and front?

Cheers.

Do they have a gasket or is it just sealant? I can't remember getting a gasket when I had mine done with the timing chain guides etc

I didn’t use any RTV from memory, I used a Victor Reinz gasket on both upper and lower pans. My issue was with the valve cover gaskets and vanos  solenoid gaskets which seemed to only last 12 months before they started leaking again ☹️

Edited by adro

I think it will depend what specific brand / quality gasket you used for the sump. On my engine the lower oil sump Victor Reinz gasket I used had rubber/silicon as part of the fiber material to improve sealing ability, others are more plain without the rubber/silicon seals so may have worse performance if there are surface imperfections

Preparation is also key, the surface would need to be pretty clean and smooth, without any bends in the lower sump pan upper edge. 

I've used LOCTITE® MR 5923 on a number of gaskets in my M60 has a gasket dressing where I thought it was applicable, for the sump I used it on the upper pan gasket both sides, but didn't use any on the lower sump which had the rubber/silicon sealing edge. Time will tell how well these seal, but I will redo them if they leak. 

Edited by Michael.