Sign in to follow this  
Kees

E24 635csi

Just saw this pop up for sale on trademe. 

Not a fan of the e39 wheels and its auto, but otherwise it looks quite nice. 

Wonder what it will go for, barely ever see these for sale anymore. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/other/listing/3325329675?bof=NRwtLMve

Edited by Kees

Never really quite figured out why people attempt to block out their rego plate yet its still showing on the magazine cover in this particular ad?????

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Brianr70 said:

Never really quite figured out why people attempt to block out their rego plate yet its still showing on the magazine cover in this particular ad?????

Yeah I was thinking the same thing 😂

now has a personalised plate - sorry a Kiwi Plate.

E12 based version, looks to be in good order.  And Henna Red.  Not many photos other than exterior.  And Imported, probably from UK - 

3 minutes ago, Ghost Chip said:

This is tempting me to sell my e30!

I know someone looking 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ghost Chip said:

This is tempting me to sell my e30!

E12 based E24's aren't very good  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

E12 based E24's aren't very good  

Care to expand? Don’t know much about these models.

@Sammo Unlikely that it’ll actually happen but you’ll be the first to know if I do mate 😄

• Like 1

Mostly comes down to being old, its 1960-1970's tech and 40 year old car. Parts harder to get\more expensive than e28 stuff. Manuals drive ok but 3 speed autos haven't aged well. Engines more problematic than the later M30's.

• Thanks 1

I remember buying the car magazine they talk about in the advert as I was gearing up to buy a 635csi in the late 90's and early 00's. I found it actually extremely diffficult back then to get one - hardly any came up for sale and I wanted to have sports seats which were such a rare option and the switchable auto box ( resigning myself to the slush box as manuals seemed rarer than hens teeth).

Wanted to one in Henna red as well - never saw one. They were anecdotally $135,000 in 1983 when Ross Jensen (who was the BMW importer back then) sold them.  I eventually got a 89 Highline in burgundy - a car that has been discussed on these forums. I thought 218 BHP was quite grunty back then. Funny how things change.

This thing needs some 16" E34 5 series cross spoke or 17" style 5's.

\

2 hours ago, ssbmw said:

I remember buying the car magazine they talk about in the advert as I was gearing up to buy a 635csi in the late 90's and early 00's. I found it actually extremely diffficult back then to get one - hardly any came up for sale and I wanted to have sports seats which were such a rare option and the switchable auto box ( resigning myself to the slush box as manuals seemed rarer than hens teeth).

Wanted to one in Henna red as well - never saw one. They were anecdotally $135,000 in 1983 when Ross Jensen (who was the BMW importer back then) sold them.  I eventually got a 89 Highline in burgundy - a car that has been discussed on these forums. I thought 218 BHP was quite grunty back then. Funny how things change.

This thing needs some 16" E34 5 series cross spoke or 17" style 5's.

\

Did you live in Grey Lynn at one point, Summerfield Villas?

7 hours ago, Palazzo said:

Did you live in Grey Lynn at one point, Summerfield Villas?

How long ago? If it was in the early 00’s - quite positively as I dated a girl who lived there. Hilarious-I’d forgotten that! 

9 hours ago, Palazzo said:

At a guess between ‘02-‘07?

Must have been 2002 as it was sold to an ex America's cup sailor in 2002.  He owned it for a number of years. Has changed hands a few times since but now apparently lives somewhere just north of auckland. 

635csi highline 1989.jpg

Come to think of it, it was later, '06 onwards at a guess. Either the same car, or identical looking, very high spec and immaculate.

You'd possibly have remembered my mate hurling a flaming pot into the common driveway area and screaming "fire" if you'd been there later.

2 hours ago, Palazzo said:

Come to think of it, it was later, '06 onwards at a guess. Either the same car, or identical looking, very high spec and immaculate.

You'd possibly have remembered my mate hurling a flaming pot into the common driveway area and screaming "fire" if you'd been there later.

That's a funny story. I think by 2006 I was onto my M635csi and was living in Birkenhead happily married ! 

I hope this red 635csi goies to a good home. Fabulous old sharks - and one of the prettiest designs by BMW.  Still look great today! 

• Like 2

Its like the universe is trying to talk me out of an E30 and into an E24:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/3328522439?bof=O1LBIznl

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/3331187718?bof=WAO790Nu

Both oldies though (1979 / E12 based) but that second one is amazingly clean - wonder what the reserve is 🤔

A bit big and old for me, but I really love the look!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

These 635s are like buses - Wait for ages and three come at once!

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Looks to be some shill bidding on the auto E24, which has magically jumped to a $25K bid from a 0 rated account..... 

Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 12.34.25 AM.png

7 hours ago, Kees said:

Looks to be some shill bidding on the auto E24, which has magically jumped to a $25K bid from a 0 rated account..... 

I hate that stuff, hmm

Not shill bidding... way to obvious for that. More likely just someone trying to get a feel for the reserve. Although I imagine that having someone with zero feedback doing that on ones auction would make the seller nervous !!!!!

Cheers...

Edited by jon dee

Yeah, that’s what it looks like to me. It’s really only shill bidding if there is someone else that is counter bidding, and therefore having their bid pushed up.

1 hour ago, jon dee said:

Not shill bidding... way to obvious for that. More likely just someone trying to get a feel for the reserve. Although I imagine that having someone with zero feedback doing that on ones auction would make the seller nervous !!!!!

Cheers...

Yeah I did think maybe they were trying to find where the reserve was, its just quite a jump from 15K to 25K that makes it look a bit suss. Surely you would go up in $500 or $1K increments to find the reserve... I guess maybe the 25K bid was a mistake and that is why it has been removed. 

Will be interesting to see if that bidder ends up winning the car.