Sign in to follow this  
Sammo

E46 M3 - Low kms and Top dollar

Have we seen a stock E46 M3 at this price point in NZ before?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/3336925537?bof=lGyGOBaK

$79,000 and 86,000km -  assuming it is immaculate.

2002 Import though, and not sure Topaz is a particularly sought after colour? (loads of lowly Ci's in Topaz)

1640095921.jpg

• Like 2

Saw this, nice honest stock example. I like topaz but yeah typically not sought after. The spec is meh, sunroof, prefacelift, headlight washers etc. The problem with stock M3s like this is that none of the major issues will have been addressed. Nice car but 80k is getting into 997 C2S money...

• Like 4

This pricing is indicative of the way the whole world is going.  This car with this spec would fetch the asking here in equivalent currency in Aus, UK, or USA without doubt.  Whether or not the NZ market is at that point yet remains to be seen.

Lovely, lovely car.  No doubt would help if possible vanos, subframe, and bearing issues were addressed, or perhaps if it were NZ new (but really, does nz new matter?).   Hope the vendor gets an agreeable price.

• Like 3

Im sure that would've been a 30-40K car a couple of years ago. Madness.

I do quite like them in Topaz. At that price the least they could do is throw a ZHP knob on it. This one is minging.

1640096267.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Had a chat to a colleague today. Didn't think him much of a car guy as he drives a Rav 4 or something but was surprised to know he'd had a late model 2006 M3 in white back in 2017. Apparently paid all of $17.5k for it back then, soon after took it for a service and they'd managed to drop it off a lift ass first, wrecked beyond repair. Broke my heart hearing it. What a sh*t way to go. Crazy what it'd been worth in today's market.. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I wouldn’t expect and major jobs to be done at those kms other than a rotor / pads replacement and probably mirror.

I didn’t know the manual and smg gearboxes were different until now.

up there in price. Back to around 2009 prices.

Think I’ll hold out selling mine. At this rate next year would be a swap keys exercise for  an older F80 M3 😀

Did anyone see the 997 turbo owner that will do a part way swap on a e46 M3 ?

3 hours ago, Neal said:

I didn’t know the manual and smg gearboxes were different until now.

They're not

up there in price. Back to around 2009 prices.

Think I’ll hold out selling mine. At this rate next year would be a swap keys exercise for  an older F80 M3

Yeah I know! Or an M2. I think you would ultimately regret either option, but when you've had it for so many years, the idea is tempting. On the other hand, that is the proof - that many years later and I know the buzz it still gives me... that's what people have woken up to.

1 hour ago, m325i said:

They're not

Well, the assembled units are different, it's not a direct swap. The have the same basic components and you can convert an SMG to a manual, I think the reverse procedure is impractical (and probably worthless).

• Like 1

I like to think of the smg gearbox as an unfinished manual gearbox because that’s essentially what it is.

The bell housing is slightly different in terms of machining for certain additional components but the main gearbox is the same sans a gear position sensor (not needed for conversion) and different tension springs for gear indent (again you can keep the smg ones) and you need to add bell housing detents (holes already there) it’s just drilling through.

You can fit a manual gearbox to a smg car snd vice versa. They are identical just finished differently.

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 2

You guys all make it sound all pretty easy to do the smg >>> 6sp manual swap in an m3.    Not to disparage at all, and no doubt we are talking a good job,,,,,,,,,but if it's all that easy, why do the pros want almost $5k to do the swap????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leonf said:

You guys all make it sound all pretty easy to do the smg >>> 6sp manual swap in an m3.    Not to disparage at all, and no doubt we are talking a good job,,,,,,,,,but if it's all that easy, why do the pros want almost $5k to do the swap????

By "gearbox" in my mind I am thinking the actual gears, which I understand to be the same.

So what are peoples thoughts on the e46 M3s with 200,000kms or more ? Sellable or keep at that point ?

Mine will get there in the next year to 18 months. No major jobs done as yet. But driven 60kms per day and BMW serviced.

Putting money aside for bearing refresh and thinking either about subframe goop or the usual welded reinforcements

Slight misalignment on the front left corner of the bonnet? 

Other than dirty shifter, and scuffs around drivers seat base/sill looks like a very desirable car.

Would expect the above cosmetic details and any other specific servicing done for that price though. 

On 11/16/2021 at 11:44 PM, Neal said:

So what are peoples thoughts on the e46 M3s with 200,000kms or more ? Sellable or keep at that point ?

Mine will get there in the next year to 18 months. No major jobs done as yet. But driven 60kms per day and BMW serviced.

Putting money aside for bearing refresh and thinking either about subframe goop or the usual welded reinforcements

I’m about to sell mine with 220,000km on the clock, I don’t know if it’s going to sell quickly or if the KMs mean that much to a buyer, full service history 05 NZ New M3

About to find out!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JBM3 said:

I’m about to sell mine with 220,000km on the clock, I don’t know if it’s going to sell quickly or if the KMs mean that much to a buyer, full service history 05 NZ New M3

About to find out!

Yours will be an exciting auction. Not many 05's in NZ. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harper said:

Yours will be an exciting auction. Not many 05's in NZ. 

Interesting fact! 
Per NZTA - There we’re 13 NZ New 2005 E46 M3s ever bought into the country.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/resources/motor-vehicle-registration-statistics/docs/2005.pdf

Of those I don’t know how many are coupes but I’d go with 5 or 6.

And how many would still be on the road today? Good chance not all 5/6 have survived this long for whatever reason.

109050DF-0517-483D-9FA7-78A3C91EAAD5.jpeg

Of those I think three were Cabrios and one was a CSL.

Quite a few were 2004 builds, but registered in 2005.

A pretty rare beast indeed.

• Like 1

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/m3/listing/3353717177?bof=wv9CbNEb

One of the new mtexture jap imports. I'm guessing he doesn't have the original drivers seat. "It has the CSL competition partial leather and cloth option" lol

Edited by Harper
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Harper said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/m3/listing/3353717177?bof=wv9CbNEb

One of the new mtexture jap imports. I'm guessing he doesn't have the original drivers seat. "It has the CSL competition partial leather and cloth option" lol

Seen this a few times around town whilst on dealer plates. Nice car but 68k is a lot 

22 hours ago, Gaz said:

Seen this a few times around town whilst on dealer plates. Nice car but 68k is a lot 

It is, but it's a whole 10k cheaper than the blue one - both the same year, same kms and manual. Fight !!!

• Haha 1

10k covers the mismatched seats and black one is smg. 

One thing I learnt having just sold and buying a new house is that buyers are liers. There are what people think its worth but they aren't the ones buying. The ones buying know how much but keep tight lipped on it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gaz said:

10k covers the mismatched seats and black one is smg. 

One thing I learnt having just sold and buying a new house is that buyers are liers. There are what people think its worth but they aren't the ones buying. The ones buying know how much but keep tight lipped on it. 

Yeah that’s a typical buyer strategy for a house up for auction. Agents on the oher hand are great at economising on the truth!

I think last time I looked there was just under 200 road registered E46 M3s in the country. Not sure break down of Coupe verse Convertible but no doubt imports ( like mine ) brought the numbers up. Next 12 months average price ? perhaps $60s