Sign in to follow this  
Chrisf

Where to hire strut compressors?

I've got some new struts to install in my '07 335i Msport, I went with the OEM Sachs ones.

Unfortunately the struts now have an interval bump stop that prevents the shaft fully extending on its own.

I tried quite a few times to compress the spring with an old set of spring compressors, but could never get it down enough to get the shaft through the strut mount.

The cheapest strut compressor I can find is https://www.u-buy.co.nz/product/L66SZU-jegs-strut-coil-spring-compressor-1-ton-capacity-spring-size-4-10-hydraulic-foot-pedal-assist-yellow but all I need to do is two struts. I'll probably never need to use it again.

All the hire websites only have cheap spring compressors like https://www.tkhire.co.nz/coil-spring-compressor-1460884 

Anyone know where to hire a good spring compressor from, or where I use one?

I'm in Wellington.

Probably easier just to take them into a garage which would probably have a mounted one. All the Wellington guys recommend Auto38, im sure he's done plenty. 

15 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Probably easier just to take them into a garage which would probably have a mounted one. All the Wellington guys recommend Auto38, im sure he's done plenty. 

@Eagle Auto38 is shut down.  He moved to Marton.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Or consider your own, something like this? $90.

https://www.sulco.co.nz/MACPHERSON-STRUT-SPRING-COMPRESSOR.html

Those are the kind I have tried. Was not able to compress the spring fat enough to assemble the strut. The new strut shaft doesn't extend as far as the old ones.

The floor mount ones like https://toolexpressnz.co.nz/products/spring-compressor?variant=37590905028802&currency=NZD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsqOMBhDFARIsAFBTN3chQ-P_2KAusuTx4Cq9qzdWUoAAYkyoI30e5H77POxANWMm4H_QenAaAgzxEALw_wcB grab the strut at the bottom instead of the actual spring. With the spring only ones you can only compress the middle section of the spring.

I couldn’t be bothered risking my head again with spring compressors and took the front shocks to Lyall Bay service Center along with my new parts and they made them up for me. Was about an hours labour and totally worth it IMO, assuming you have access to another car to transport them to the shop while your car is up on stands. 

Edited by adro
  • Like 1

Sounds like taking them to a shop is the way to go. Need to sort out the logistics since nowhere is open on weekends 

Very dodgy and dangerous indeed!

Spring needs a lot of even level pressure to compress enough to get nut on shock shaft.

Not possible really with screw type equipment, springs very differcult to compress.

Accident waiting to happen, as Adro mentioned.

Does anyone have any recommendations for mechanics to take my car to in the Wellington area?

Added bonus if they do wheel alignments too

Edited by Chrisf

The shock shop in Porirua have been good in the past.