Sign in to follow this  
dzn

E90/E91 CCC Android Head unit retrofit issues

Hey Guys,

I've recently purchased an E91 and the first thing I wanted to sort was the head unit - so I ordered an Android unit that replaces the screen and I'm having a few teething issues with it.

The main issue I'm running into for starters is that when I get into the android head unit and try playing some music, it plays for about 10 seconds and then the CCC switches the input to either the TV or the radio by itself.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar or know of something that could cause this?

The units running Android 10.

Any advice is highly appreciated!

I’m running the android based Andream unit in my ccc E61, mine also kept changing off aux mode to radio/tv by itself - I worked out it has a factory setting that needed changing and I needed a pin to get to the setting. From memory it was called “aux mode” or something similar and I had to set it to “manual” rather than “automatic”.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mop said:

I’m running the android based Andream unit in my ccc E61, mine also kept changing off aux mode to radio/tv by itself - I worked out it has a factory setting that needed changing and I needed a pin to get to the setting. From memory it was called “aux mode” or something similar and I had to set it to “manual” rather than “automatic”.

This sounds like it could be the issue! I've tried to Google that, can you remember what you had to do to change that setting? Did the CCC unit need coding?

The Andream unit runs on aux, I assume yours is similar. I had to code aux in as my E61 didn’t have it from the factory, but no coding was required to stop the automatic switching.

The setting I had to change was in the factory settings on the Andream unit itself. Same place that you go to set the screen size, I drive type etc.

Yeah the unit runs an aux cable to the aux input in the armrest. 

I've done some playing with it tonight and it's making my head hurt - I've been through every setting possible and there's no rhyme or reason why it should be doing this.

Mine is a different model to yours, but I had the same problem.

On mine I went to “setup”, then “factory settings”. Enter a 4 digit pin, scroll down the options until I got to the “aux mode” setting - changed that to manual.

This seems to tell the original car audio system to only change sources from Aux if you manually tell it to. Auto switching gets confused otherwise for whatever reason and has a mind of its own.

Hope that helps, I expect it will be similar if not the same. Some photos below, sorry it’s ridiculously sunny in the driveway today and stinking hot so they were quick ones.

4034E451-EEBE-4211-8FF9-2861FD11AA8C.jpeg

F3C031C5-C592-4FA8-95C8-2FF71FF954CC.jpeg

138BB8B4-2E6F-481F-8B9A-E9855C03C58F.jpeg

No need to change anything in the CCC/I-drive settings in my case, only the settings for the new interface

3 minutes ago, Mop said:

No need to change anything in the CCC/I-drive settings in my case, only the settings for the new interface

Oh I did see a factory setting option that I needed a pin for - I just assumed it would reset the unit to factory default.

I'll give that a go and report back!

14 minutes ago, Mop said:

Yes that was it! I owe you a beer!

The customer service from the seller in China was god awful so thank you for your help!

All good, I was in the same position but found the answer on a uk based forum.

If anyone with an e60/61 or e90/91 is lacking Bluetooth etc. I reckon these units are well worth it, having CarPlay (or android auto) makes the car feel much more modern. Not that tricky to install in the case of the Andream I bought, they have a YouTube video and it comes with a plug and play harness.

I had to switch mine to manual aux selection. I assume if the CCC had the coding for the TV tuner turned off it would work. Not like you can use the tv anymore now that analog transmission has been shut down 

31 minutes ago, Chrisf said:

I had to switch mine to manual aux selection. I assume if the CCC had the coding for the TV tuner turned off it would work. Not like you can use the tv anymore now that analog transmission has been shut down 

Yep you're exactly right!

The next issue I've ran into is the control wheel in the center console has a mind of its own when in the android unit. Sometimes it works, other times not, sometimes it just scrolls by itself and selects things by itself too. Any ideas? 😅😬