Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

Bad turbo seal or bad PCV?

So after having a few issues with the X540D, I pulled the intake off to replace the glow plug controller and found that even though the intake was cleaned about 5k ago it was filled with carbonised oil residue. I can see a fair amount of oil coming from the where the PCV breather hose connects the valve cover so I am assuming the PCV is stuffed. However I can't help but wonder could it be a blown turbo seal? While I think its unlikely I am unsure. Does anyone have any thoughts here? Can I easily replace the PCV unit? 

Edited by Herbmiester
  • Thanks 1

Worn turbo seals I’ve seen in the past have poured blue smoke out.

Just now, Palazzo said:

Worn turbo seals I’ve seen in the past have poured blue smoke out.

No smoke but will get someone to drive behind me to be sure.

Was wondering about a catch can, was very worthwhile on the N54 335i.

I was meaning smoke that could be seen from space. I’m pretty sure  there’s a YouTube vid of someone fitting a catch can to a diesel X5, have a look.

• Like 1

After some digging around the net it would seem like the PCV is the issue. Sadly BMW wants you to buy a complete cam cover unit to get a new PCV unit. There do seem to be a few options to just replace the PCV and I will try and track down one of those kits. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000929307290.html

I have ordered one via Aliexpress but will continue looking for one closer to home. 

Interestingly one of the symptoms was that the car would surge at idle or very low engine revs. I initially thought this was the GP controller as there is a code for it but it appears it is a common issue with the PCV. It look simple enough to rig up a catch can as well so might just do that as well.

I have decided after trawling through UK forums to fit a deisel specific Provent brand catch can. They seem ver popular in Aussie as well for Land Cruisers, Hilux's etc. https://www.trademe.co.nz/3349980490 

Having seen what a mess the intake system on an N57 can look like I dont want to have a repeat. I am also now seriously considering deleting the EGR as well. There is a fair bit of talk that the crap going back into the system from the EGR shortens the life of the N57/47 engines.

3 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

I have decided after trawling through UK forums to fit a deisel specific Provent brand catch can. They seem ver popular in Aussie as well for Land Cruisers, Hilux's etc. https://www.trademe.co.nz/3349980490 

Having seen what a mess the intake system on an N57 can look like I dont want to have a repeat. I am also now seriously considering deleting the EGR as well. There is a fair bit of talk that the crap going back into the system from the EGR shortens the life of the N57/47 engines.

very interested to see how this goes, mate.  I also have been captivated by the charms of the N57B30.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, balancerider said:

Would be cautious about the EGR delete @Herbmiester - You might have a pretty expensive driveway ornament if the govt decide that they want to enforce emissions testing

I may just delete it in software. As far as emissions go it does make for cleaner exhaust in some situations but you end up with a less efficient engine especially when the intake gets clogged and less efficiency equals more fuel burned.

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

very interested to see how this goes, mate.  I also have been captivated by the charms of the N57B30.

Lots of grunt in the 225kw version and combined with the Zf 8 speed forward progression is effortless.

@Herbmiester mine's just the 190kW version in an F25.  The 8 speed is marvellous.

I bought a couple of genuine oil filters, can't believe theyre so tiny!