Sign in to follow this  
Cement

E46 Sway Bar

Anybody have recommendations on front sway bar size / stiffness for an E46 ? Will be street duties primarily.

This will be getting made custom for my engine swapped 318Ci so don't need specific brands etc, more interested in the spec / sizing for a performance orientated street car.

Suspension is standard for now but will likely change to a good spring / shock combo with a slight lower in the future.

A small one if you don't have an LSD, I wouldn't go any bigger than a stock rear bar, 18mm.

if it will have an LSD then more info required on powerplant and suspension.

Thanks for the reply @M3AN ... rear will be unchanged for the time being as focus is on simply getting it out of the garage and mobile !!

Its an open diff (3.38 ratio) from a 330 at present but will need some sort of LSD for sure so that will be addressed once mobile. Engine is a Nissan VQ37, call it 250kW give or take. Unsure on what suspension will end up in it ultimately but I'm happy to take recommendation on this also if there are known great combinations people go to for street use, good looks / height and ok capability at a track day once or twice a year say.

I can't help with the suspension sorry but you'd be safe to start with a stock 18mm bar, no need to go aftermarket and you should be able to find one cheap as chips (they're on most, if not all e46's other than the M3).

If/when you add an LSD then I'd bump the rear bar up to 21.5mm as per the M3, you can go aftermarket there because a genuine M3 one will probably be prohibitively expensive if you can even find one when you want it. You'll probably want to bump the front one up to M3 spec (26mm) at the same time.

FYI - M3 Front bar (26mm) is direct fitment, but M3 rear bar is a no go without modifications.

I'm running an M3 front bar at 26mm and an Msport Vert rear bar at 20mm - hold be able to pick up both for $300 vs paying $750+ for aftermarket.

Its tighter than standard but not too stiff at all.

For Suspension, I love my ST XA coilovers - nice compliant spring rates and KW twin tube dampers - rides very well, and my car is a bit too low at the moment.

As you're certing anyway, coilovers could make sense? Otherwise the tried and tested H&R / Eibach with Bilstein / Koni combo.

Thanks for the input @Sammo ... nothing is a direct fitment with my engine swap 😂 So will be manufacturing (likely in Australia) no matter what I do but just need to decide on the spec. I might go with the M3 sizing as a safe option and considering I'm no suspension guru !!

Where did you get the ST gear from ? I was looking at that as its not that much more than Koni Yellow's plus springs ... does it feel like a good matchup with the M3 bar ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cement said:

Thanks for the input @Sammo ... nothing is a direct fitment with my engine swap 😂 So will be manufacturing (likely in Australia) no matter what I do but just need to decide on the spec. I might go with the M3 sizing as a safe option and considering I'm no suspension guru !!

Where did you get the ST gear from ? I was looking at that as its not that much more than Koni Yellow's plus springs ... does it feel like a good matchup with the M3 bar ?

Yeah, it’s a good road setup, much stiffer than stock but nothing like the typical 8Kg F and 12kg R spring rates you get with the ‘default’ BC Golds. 

I do run them on the softer side and they don’t go super low in the front - I’m basically max drop in front - a non issue if you’re not a stance guy as mine is too low anyway IMO.

German KW quality as well.

Got via Demontweeks in UK, $2k landed if I recall (that’s the damping adjustable XA setup - does not come with camber plates).