Sign in to follow this  
thorns

M235i LSD

Just looking at one of these as my next fun/weekend toy along with a few other options.

Lack of LSD seems a head scratcher to me, but see there is a decent aftermarket solution for these.    Has anyone here fitted one to any of the 135i series or 235i series (believe they are much the same drivetrain?).

Are they worth while? Seems a few thousand pounds from UK sites + shipping/taxes on top, so not exactly a cheap option once cost to install is taken into account.

Get a quaife from birds

Which version of M235i, the old model Coupe or the current model Gran Coupe? 

2 hours ago, Jacko said:

Get a quaife from birds

Yes thats what I have been looking at, just waiting to hear back re shipping costs etc, imagine it would be 5k+ NZD fitted which starts to make me question buying the car in the first place.

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Which version of M235i, the old model Coupe or the current model Gran Coupe? 

F22, 2 door RWD model

Edited by thorns

1 hour ago, thorns said:

F22, 2 door RWD model

I guess it all comes down to how hard you are going to drive the car as a week-ender. The lack of an LSD is mostly down to the electronic traction control being there to cover 99% of situations. 

If you are a regular at track days or the drags then you might be in that area where you would benefit from fitting the LSD.

Plan was for some track days, but mainly weekend fun car.

Got the quote back from Birds including the suspension upgrade kit, 3025 pounds delivered, or around 5800NZD, then add 1200NZD customs, so around 7k all up in parts.

Not really worth it in my mind, be better off financing the difference to get into an M2....... now thats an idea lol.

• Like 2

As @E30 325i Rag-Top says, I've never really noticed any traction issues with my F22, 99% of the time.

It hooks up really well from traffic lights, even in the wet, and the twisty parts of the Desert Road, no problem. The only times I really wish for a LSD is when I'm driving into my driveway and one rear wheel lifts completely off the ground and perhaps when playing around wet roundabouts.

Yeah an LSD would be much better, especially if it was specified on the build sheet. But not $6000+ better if it's not there now.

BMW made an LSD for these cars as well branded as an "M-performance LSD". Probably overpriced compared to aftermarket options as per usual but should be high quality.

Speedfactor in Tauranga import the MFactory LSDs, I'd imagine they make one to fit a 235i.

Worthwhile? I dunno, only if you actually push the car hard enough to get the back end out on the regular. Helpful on track, but on streets, even when pushing hard on back-roads, not so much. The e-LSD still does a good job emulating a real LSD most of the time.

A real LSD does help with drifts though, holding the slides is much easier :)

• Like 1

Even relatively modest amounts of horsepower can benefit from a mechanical LSD in everyday applications. Pulling out of a side road at moderate speeds the 265-odd hp 130i will spin up a wheel without an LSD, and that's with a noodle-sized sway bar.

It's also important to understand than any electronic trickery, whether that be limited slip or traction control, reduces slip by bleeding power whereas with a mechanical LSD you lose no power, it just gets redistributed. A well tuned right foot can achieve the same thing as an e-diff whereas with a mechanical LSD you can just lean into it, it's a totally different, and far more satisfying, driving experience.

• Like 3

^ This, its night and day even when mildly driving hard. 

I spent nearly half what I paid for the Birds B1 package on the 130, including the quaife. Was it worth it? Financially no it makes no sense, but would I do it again - Yes. One could make the same argument about any performance leaning car though. If you want to make wise financial decisions, buy a leaf. 

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 2