Sign in to follow this  
Kodachrome

Fan shroud solution needed to pass on road compliance

99.99% complete on the M54B30 into E28 conversion. Couple of bits left, one annoying one is they want a shroud (or should I say, more of a shroud, the stock one is at least partially there, I can't remember what it looked like before) to cover the fan.

There is a fan shroud lip on it now, but needs a "hood" about 55mm long to cover the fan blades. Looking for a fast solution, any ideas? 

Im mocking up a something with the 3D printer now, but thought Id ask here anyhow. 

20211122_145053.jpg

20211122_145123.jpg

20211123_133055 (2).jpg

20211123_133200.jpg

A strip of coroflute riveted on to that lip would be my go-to, I guess it depends how huckery you want it to look, or not.

• Like 1

Yeah I was thinking of something alone those lines, though Coroflute seems to be good only to low temps of 66c?

Remove the fan, get your cert and then put it back on if your in a rush.

• Thanks 1

Id be pulling out the clutch fan and putting in an electric fan. A fan switch from an E36 compact will have the right temperature on and off settings and should bolt in to those free port on the radiator end tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, in future I think thats exactly what I will do. Lots of room there to just drop in a complete electric fan kit and free HP for me to boot. 

Right now though, my 3D printed shroud will get past this hurdle.  Ill screw it to the existing black "lip" thats there and bring the curve/shape out more.

Just did a quick print in PLA, will check it and look through my collection of filament for a more heat appropriate one. 

Screenshot 2021-11-24 174154.jpg

• Like 1