Sign in to follow this  
eliongater

e91 335i Rotors and Pads?

Hey team, my rotors need replacing on my 2006 E91 335i (manual). Is the current suggestion as per the below thread still the way to go? Which I think was these RDA rotors and some stoptech (Sport Brake?) pads?

A pair of front rotors is $461.13NZD which is cheaper than FCP Euro and demon tweeks. Micks garage was cheaper again but just bog standard uncoated rotors.

image.thumb.png.8cc98845897e1c9e027a9de9f27a42aa.png

The RDA rotors performed fine but the rust coating failed pretty soon and the centre cap was coated in rust after a short while just like any other cheap rotor. Don't think I ended up updating my thread with that.

@Matth5 ah ok, I think I did see that somewhere. Was it quite bad? I.E. bad enough to look elsewhere?  Another option I was looking at was Zimmerman from FCP for approximately $650NZD

It's only cosmetic, so I'd just say don't consider the coating as a worthwhile selling point. I think the OEM discs for that model are uncoated anyway so will do the same. If you have rims that make the centre of the brake discs prominently visible it's just nicer to have some kind of coated or two-piece disc.

What you can also do is just buy an uncoated disc and then paint it with high temp paint - something rated for brake calipers will do.

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 2

My centres didn't rust but as Matt says the black coating wears off. Performance wise the setup I used was very good, hard driving over the Rimutakas saw no fade whatsoever and a customer used the same setup on his track day 335i. Said it took a lot of laps to get the pedal to go soft. That said as an everyday setup It worked great. 

• Like 1