Sign in to follow this  
qube

The Best $10k ish BMW Poll

The Best $10k ish BMW Poll  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What would be your pick for the best BMW around $10k price range? Pick a selection and comment the exact model and why!

My pick, in this order. 

E34 540i. 

E38 740i Msport (if you can find one). 

E39 540i Msport. 

E87 130i manual. 

E46 330i. 

• Like 1

One of each in right wheel drive, manual box, 6 cylinders. 

I would say:

E34 540i - 4 headlights, V8, cheap, say no more

E87 130i - Cheap, good power, good reliability, who cares if it used to look a bit suss, Msport design has aged really well

Edited by Sammo
  • Like 2

I am a little biased as have only owned 130i manuals, one standard and one HellBM N54 re-power. The standard car was an awesome package for the money and autos are even cheaper if that is your thing.

E34 535i - quad round headlights, straight six, more modern comforts, can actually seat more than 2 people (comfortably), say no more

E34 540i - same as above but a grunty V8

E30 any spec - gotta keep my hands busy somehow

E36 328i - 2dr straight six, can’t go wrong

Tie between E46 330ci and E87 130i - on one hand you get a more modern E36, on another all the perks of a hot hatch 🔥

Don't know the other models enough to rate 😂

E39 530i manual - nicely sized good all rounder with decent power.  Imo a better choice than the V8 having owned both in manual\msport form.

E87 130i manual or auto- Good daily and\or fun car

E36 328i, E46 330i, E90 330i manual - final 3 N\A sixes

E34 540i - Most reliable BMW V8 ever made

E34 535i - M30B35 workhorse    

I guess it depends what you want really haha

My E34 project will pass 20k with purchasing and doing the full bumper to bumper service soon enough, manual conversion down the road will blow that out further but so be it. Personally I dont see keeping under a 10k budget with an E34 is realistic these days, they need money thrown at them or just aren't that enjoyable.  

I was never going to bother with an E34 again unless I went through every part that can wear out. I didn't want to have that feeling of driving a semi maintained near 30 year old BMW, mind you this is exclusively a sunny day only weekend treat & to take to the odd show, if those ever happen again. Otherwise I'll quite happily just look at it shinny and parked in the shed knowing I've got it back to a fully maintained clean standard.

Depends what you want out of your purchase I guess, is it for driving once or twice a week tops or everyday driving? 

I still think an E46 offers the best compromise, not too complicated compared to later models, no Idrive nonsense, they look great and are easily improved. That said they are getting on a bit now at 20 years so they have lost the freshness they once had, means more DIY but that's fun (imo) 

Edited by Michael.

Facelift E60 530i would be pretty hard to go past as a good all rounder I think. Pick those up for 8-9K all day long and have a bit left over for upkeep. 

3.0L Z3. 

• 231HP in a little car = awesome performance
  • Doesn't take up too much space in the shed
  • Easy to work on/low level of technology which is well known
  • Topless driving, wind in your head, open spaces all round, just watch out for sheep/cattle trucks.
  • No back seat, so no kids along for the drive to annoy you.  Your time out car.
  • Like 1

A good E34 while you can.

Or an E87 for some fun. 

Again E34 540i, such an nice blend of old school charm and modern features. I do love a tidy E36 Coupe and E92 Coupes are very good looking cars. 

Probably an E60/61 at the moment.  Big enough to fit the kids and they look better than the other models of their generation.

Would go 550i if it wasn't for the valve issues.  Probably a facelift 530i would be the go.

Although, a tiny tiny bit over $10k nets you a F10/F11 528i.  As a utility vehicle I would get one of those.

Edited by GorGasm

E46 330i Coupe M-Sport FL still a wonderful looking car even today, with decent performance to boot.

I would have ticked the E30 box but I think I’ve got enough of those to work on already!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Michael. said:

I still think an E46 offers the best compromise, not too complicated compared to later models, no Idrive nonsense, they look great and are easily improved. That said they are getting on a bit now at 20 years so they have lost the freshness they once had, means more DIY but that's fun (imo) 

All cars mentioned in this thread would likely need money spent of them to varying degrees. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eagle said:

All cars mentioned in this thread would likely need money spent of them to varying degrees. 

And. Many of them will cost more than $10k to buy if semi decent.  Not all, but many

Surprised at the lack of love for the e9x 325/330/335! I guess it goes to show how compelling the other options are at this price point

• Like 1

E34 & e38 msport cos they are old skool cool!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, qube said:

Surprised at the lack of love for the e9x 325/330/335! I guess it goes to show how compelling the other options are at this price point

I wouldn't even take one if someone gave me one for free.

Well I would.. but only to sell haha 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I retract my e46 vote! (not sure of 325/330 wagon values?)

130i msport in white with a sunroof. I almost bought one when they were low $20s. Bought a 120i instead. Massive regret, as I ended up taking a bath on a 120i and then an S3. Could have kept the 130i over that whole time and not been an Exxon Valdez simulator.

9 hours ago, E28E30 said:

And. Many of them will cost more than $10k to buy if semi decent.  Not all, but many

True but i suppose it depends on how much the 'ish mean to you. 10-15k i would expect i could get nearly everything at least average condition.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 8:12 PM, m325i said:

I retract my e46 vote! (not sure of 325/330 wagon values?)

130i msport in white with a sunroof. I almost bought one when they were low $20s. Bought a 120i instead. Massive regret, as I ended up taking a bath on a 120i and then an S3. Could have kept the 130i over that whole time and not been an Exxon Valdez simulator.

What did you regret about the 120i? I'm thinking about that as my entry point to BMW ownership. 

1 hour ago, Choo said:

What did you regret about the 120i? I'm thinking about that as my entry point to BMW ownership. 

Friends dont let friends buy 4 pot BMWs. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jacko said:

Friends dont let friends buy 4 pot BMWs. 

E30 M3 owners would disagree....

• Like 3