Sign in to follow this  
Milhouse87

X5 N57 40D Timing Chain replacement

Hi All, 

I have a well serviced but high Km X5 40D and am looking at maybe doing the timing chain, there is no noise or any indication of it being worn but on the UK forums they say should do them around 100k Miles. mine is now at 220k kms Anyone know what the cost  of this would be and is it worth it ? I would do it myself however from what I can see the only way to do it is on a hoist and dropping whole front subframe with engine out of the body. would need a 2 poster which I don't have.

any advice good or bad will be welcome :}

Edited by milhouse87@hotmail.com

probably depends how long you want to run it for but the value proposition ain't great IMO given the chain is rear-mounted (i.e. engine out) - maybe worthwhile if you're aiming for 350k km and you can do it quickly yourself. I believe shops in the UK charge 1200-1500 GBP for it.

Hey, 

I just done one on a x5. I bought the timing tools and kit from ebay. just need to drop the trans out and remove everything on top of engine. Easy as if you're savy. You'll need to torque everything to the right spec as well. 

Edited by promo

15 hours ago, milhouse87@hotmail.com said:

any advice good or bad will be welcome :}

My advice would be to change your user name from your email address, unless you want to get swamped with spam in your inbox.

3 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

My advice would be to change your user name from your email address, unless you want to get swamped with spam in your inbox.

Haha good advice. Missed that as half asleep waiting for the f1 race to start. 

3 hours ago, promo said:

Hey, 

I just done one on a x5. I bought the timing tools and kit from ebay. just need to drop the trans out and remove everything on top of engine. Easy as if you're savy. You'll need to torque everything to the right spec as well. 

What year/engine was it. I could only find people doing it on cars with the n57. I have no issues with doing it as fully equipped except for a hoist but if i can get to it by dropping the tranny i might have a crack. 

2013, the n57 engine - rear timing chain. 

21 hours ago, promo said:

2013, the n57 engine - rear timing chain. 

Cool. I will wait for my mechanical insurance to lapse them do it.  Thanks for the info 

How did this turn out?

I am also looking at a 2010 X540d with 190kms. Two owner with full dealer service history. I was a bit concerned when doing some research around the cam chain and con rod bearing issues with this engine.

I asked two two independent BMW workshops, the smaller one advised that he cam chain is a big issue and costs around $10k. The other larger workshop advised that they had only done one and cost was about the same.

This is approx 1/2 the cost of the vehicle and as this is going to be the wife daily drive and to tow a hose float around the north island, has put me well off getting it.

any other experiences with this engine around camchains etc?

Cheers

I had the sump off mine recently and the mechanic inspected the chain and said it was fine. I am at 135k so hope for another 70k at least.