Sign in to follow this  
First Timer

e89 Z4 cruise control installation

Hi

I'd like to add cruise control to my 2010 Z4 2.3. does anyone know of a shop on south island that might be able to help? Do the BMW dealers even offer it?

Thanks, Dennis

BMW won't retrofit it for you, in fact they're likely to simply give you a blank look if you ask.

I retrofitted cruise on my E87 and it's not too difficult (same procedure as Z4/E89), what part are you looking to outsource? Do you already have the replacement stalks? If not, that's your first task and it needs to match exactly your existing stalks but add the cruise stalk, any variance (at all) will cause you headaches. Apparently any E8x, E9x, E89 setup will work, as long as it's exactly the same as your existing one (plus the additional cruise stalk obviously), the slip rings in the hub of the stalk assembly vary widely and are not cross-compatible.

• Like 1

If you get the parts but the install is not your thing, then give me a call.  I have installed several cruise controls stalks in Z3's (E36/7) and a Z4 (E85) stalk into a E46. Being Timaru based, I not too far away from Dunedin.

• Like 1

Big thanks to Richard Croucher at Soundworks Christchurch for converting my CIC from Japan navigation to NZ (and now updatable!) also now i can watch any region DVD's while driving.. Also a big thanks to Vincent at Audio City Christchurch for adding Apple Carplay to my E89; its better than the one in my Mazda! both came to around $1300 combined. If you are on a budget i'd just go for the carplay as it does and shows everything your phone can do including mirroring the image. automatically connects and shows your phone apps when you put the car in drive along with SIRI just by saying her name.

Update: My front bumper badge was stolen but at least all they did was pry off the logo. dealer installed a new one for $150 and is willing to add the cruise control and console cover fix (waiting for the estimate). turns out there was a couple of recall items that they did for free. 

Car goes in this thursday to detail kings for concourse detailing. then off to R&D EUROPEAN LTD (rdeuropean.com) for a check over.

found out the car has comfort access putting the roof up and down via remote but i still have to unlock and put the fob in the slot to start it. Car has TV tuner but as yet it doesn't pick up stations and asks for Japanese city preferences. it has a digital tv tuner so hopefully there is a fix for NZ stations.

Very long front bonnet so I'm looking to add cameras that integrate with the cic head unit.

Any advice very appreciated! I'm in Dunedin and installers here are very limited.

IMG_3731.JPG

Edited by nowool
updated pic

On 12/7/2021 at 8:11 AM, NZ00Z3 said:

If you get the parts but the install is not your thing, then give me a call.  I have installed several cruise controls stalks in Z3's (E36/7) and a Z4 (E85) stalk into a E46. Being Timaru based, I not too far away from Dunedin.

problem is i can't find a stalk module that has auto wipers. not to mention the lower case with the cut out for the cruise stalk.

I've ordered the compatible parts from Ebay. they should be here by the end of January.

to those of us on the lower south island, R and D European can install the parts and do the software updates required. They are located in Dunedin. You just have to supply the parts. you can check part numbers at realoem.com

if you want to see the installation video: 

Edited by nowool
  • Like 1