Sammo

Lachssilber 1989 E30 M325i

Damn, those wheels look even better than I thought. Whole package has gone to another level, and it was up there to start with!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Damn, those wheels look even better than I thought. Whole package has gone to another level, and it was up there to start with!!

Thanks - I'm very happy - I do think the tyres help as well with a nice beefy square sidewall filling out the arches a bit.

Car getting better step by step - this morning changed out my control arms and sway bar links for fresh Meyle HD, along with Revshift 80a poly CABs. Such an easy job with new lollipops and the poly bushes.

Steering definitely feels sharper and tighter now, especially with the new Yokos which I’m in love with.

In need of an alignment but will wait till I do the tierods in a few weeks (had planned on doing them today but realised I had not ordered the ‘locking plate’ washer thingees.

Have a new rubber steering joint bushing but wonder if I should go poly here too or is it just a waste of time trying to turn a 35 year old car into a scalpel?

No intention to change to a quicker rack due to cert.

D74ABEC1-62C8-4824-8815-8FD69A98E745.jpeg

• Like 4

Went for its first WOF under my custody - I was wise to do this a month before it expired as I have quite a few things to address!

Nothing too bad, so more a matter of re-shuffling the to-do list priorities:

• Play in both steering rack ends - all good as already have new tie-rod full assemblies ready to go
  • Driver door hinge play - got a bad wobble - probably explains why I struggle to open that door when its jacked up! will repair the hinge pins / bushes - seems like a common issue for the inner bushes to break as many repair kits exist. Will also replace the 'door stop' while I'm in there as the door does not hold position on any kind incline and its a pain / makes the car feel cheap
  • Power steering (hose?) leak - need to see if I need to replace the hose to the pump or just a clamp
  • Drivers seat very wobbly - already knew I would be rebuilding this prior to re-upholstering - need to check what is loose / broken in the seat frame (hopefully not requiring welding) and will replace seat shocks and clean + lube it all while apart

Nothing at all glamourous but will be really nice to have tight, accurate steering, solid, functional door hinges and a firm, safe drivers seat!

old-bmw-i-love-you-please-let-me-die.jpg

• Like 6

Did it fail on all those things? Or are they advisories?

49 minutes ago, adro said:

Did it fail on all those things? Or are they advisories?

Yup, all good - all things I was aware of and had planned to get around to at some point - will just do them quicker haha

31 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Yup, all good - all things I was aware of and had planned to get around to at some point - will just do them quicker haha

Heh, nothing like having a deadline to get stuff done!

• Like 1

I thought it was a normal e30 thing to not be able to open doors when jacked up haha. Well mine and the few I've worked on in the past was the same

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 325iRod said:

Hey @Sammo Where did you source the Z3 1.9 shifter from? 

Schmiedmann- got here in under a week too

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Schmiedmann- got here in under a week too

It will be part no 25117527252 ? Is also on my next import list for mine

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Southerner said:

That’s the one! Loving it - wouldn’t want to go much more shorter either, it’s great IMo

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Southerner said:

Yeap, I just ordered one through CHC BMW (Same part NO.), 211 +gst will be here Monday morning ex AKL.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 325iRod said:

Yeap, I just ordered one through CHC BMW (Same part NO.), 211 +gst will be here Monday morning ex AKL.

#winning! pretty sure I paid about $220 landed - so barely cheaper

• Like 1

Dismantled my driver seat to find the wobbles - thing has to weigh half an E46 M3 seat!

So turns out the inner (left side) tab where the back bolts to the base is sheared - had hoped it was just a loose bolt… seems the go is to get it welded - I’m not sure how easy that would be being so close to the threads?

Also, there is be a small amount of play where they are riveted (like the video) not sure if that is normal, it’s the same on both sides.

I could also try getting a replacement ‘hinge’ for that side, complete with an unbroken tab - would help minimise down time on the daily - I’m just not sure how much sport vs comfort vs passenger vs driver vs LHD vs RHD matters…

This one on EBay looks the same to me?

48E19370-AE82-4055-BC77-42FC472AD233.jpeg

DF96C48E-982E-43FD-97C9-200B468B1A20.png

6 hours ago, C-130 Hercules said:

I would probably be inclined to fabricate the hinge... 

Like make a new one? I have a mate who reckons he can weld it so will try that first and hope it lasts.

• Like 2

Welded the broken seat hinge L bracket and also removed some play in the base by adding some washers (worn out or missing?). Still not perfectly solid like the F31 but at least an 80% improvement.

Tiniest play in one rail left and a few mm in the hinge mechanism itself, but seat is *far* more solid an most importantly, safe and secure.

Hoping once I add new seat shocks they will minimise the little play left by holding it firmly in position (current ones were easily compressible by hand and are supposed to be 400nm or so)

• Like 1

Changed my Tierods in the weekend (the locking plates are a bloody stupid design - nightmare to hammer on with no space to swing a hammer??) and my leaky power steering hose and fluid flush.

Couldn't get to my alignment booking as I'm in isolation now (wife positive, I'm negative) so will use this free weekend to catch up on a bunch of other jobs on the car:

• New plug wires / distributor cap and rotor
  • Coolant temp sensor and level sensor
  • Drive door hinge repair (busted bushing causes excess play)
  • New driver door 'stop' and will clean / lube / tighten / dampen window mechanisms while I'm in there
  • New Pedal rubbers
  • Clean sunroof drains with wire and air compressor

Frustratingly I have a clunk over speed bumps after installing my new control arms and end links despite torquing everything 3 times now (yes, I did tighten bolts with jack under the ball joints) will need to get my mechanic to check them out when I do my WOF recheck.

Seats are still wobbly (small play in hinge itself / rails?) , but are better and fully secured - will give them another going over when I'm installing the new seat shocks and perhaps my upholsterer will make further improvements when I get seats retrimmed.

Hard to know when to say 'when' on an old car! 

Sounds like a doom and gloom post, so here's a pretty picture.

M325i Dec 21-29.jpg

• Like 2

Have you decided what route you are going to go with the retrim? What fabric did you decide on?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Harper said:

Have you decided what route you are going to go with the retrim? What fabric did you decide on?

Yup - Anthrazit Uberkaro (0304/0379) - will do door cards as well.

Just trying to get fabric samples at the moment - M-Fabrics hasn't been responsive and Lemans here in NZ is supposed to be coming back to me if they have any. Relicate have it, but don't have the bolster fabric. ASC don't list the darker fabric.

All going to plan will be done sometime in August... who did your retrim?

17 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Just trying to get fabric samples at the moment - M-Fabrics hasn't been responsive and Lemans here in NZ is supposed to be coming back to me if they have any. Relicate have it, but don't have the bolster fabric. ASC don't list the darker fabric.

Awesome, good choice. OEM all the way IMO. ASC is pretty responsive on Instagram if you haven't tried there yet.

Stu's Trim and Sound in Wiri did all the work on my interior, would recommend them super highly. They always have some crazy high end classics in their workshop too so you know you're in good hands if you go there. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 10:33 AM, Sammo said:

Looks like Lemans have 7m of Uberkaro and 2m.5m of bolster fabric in stock - $225 per metre plus GST but it is OEM BMW fabric - will try to get a sample to make sure it isn't silver Uberkaro, as a bit tricky to tell from photographs.

Looking like I'll be in for $1500-2000 on fabric alone haha

Maybe I should invest in E30 fabrics instead of E30s? Hehe

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Looks like Lemans have 7m of Uberkaro and 2m.5m of bolster fabric in stock - $225 per metre plus GST but it is OEM BMW fabric - will try to get a sample to make sure it isn't silver Uberkaro, as a bit tricky to tell from photographs.

Looking like I'll be in for $1500-2000 on fabric alone haha

Yeah unfortunately BMW fabrics are ungodly expensive. Would ASC be significantly cheaper? Pretty sure they would be indistinguishable from the OE stuff tbh.