Sammo

Lachssilber 1989 E30 M325i

2 hours ago, polley said:

Change the driveway.

That was my immediate thought, but it scrapes elsewhere too, my driveway entrance isn't too bad TBH - E46 on coilovers was able to get in and out easier.

Those metal curb ramp things need council consent as I understand.

• Like 1

Tech2 bumper seems to sit low, overall my e36 is lower than the e30 but always catch the front bumper on my drive. No worries on the e36 though

• Like 1

Have you done a wheel alignment? Must be toe'd the fook out with current height

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

Have you done a wheel alignment? Must be toe'd the fook out with current height

It needs one for sure but will hold off until I put in my new control arms / poly bushes and tierods.

2 hours ago, m325i said:

🤣

I'm a good boy, actually applying for an exemption right now to plonk a home office 1 metre from the boundary.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sammo said:

I'm a good boy, actually applying for an exemption right now to plonk a home office 1 metre from the boundary.

Can’t you build three x 3 storey townhouses now? ;)

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, E28E30 said:

Can’t you build three x 3 storey townhouses now? ;)

Neighbours just sold their shitty house on a 1000m2 + section next door - bit concerned thats precisely what will happen next door!

• Sad 1

Oops sorry @Sammo, raw nerve.  Have to wait and see.  I am surrounded by houses here on my back section and mostly it is okay

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, E28E30 said:

Oops sorry @Sammo, raw nerve.  Have to wait and see.  I am surrounded by houses here on my back section and mostly it is okay

Haha, fingers crossed it won't happen - we would still have plenty of sun / privacy / greenery on the important North and West sides at least.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 6:04 PM, Sammo said:

Got the new shocks and springs etc in - ST 50mm/40mm springs, AP Sport shocks, Meyle mounts front and rear and new BMW (I trimmed them) bump stops and 10mm spring pads

No drama's at all on the install but I am a slow wrencher!

Car drives much better than with the Dobi's and tired Koni shocks that were in it - a little firmer but well damped now and overall firmer, but more comfortable.

I've not had a chance to spank it on a back road but while this isn't an out and out performance combo, it feels like a good street setup with my 22mm/16mm swaybars.

Ride height is now a bit low at the front but should look better when/if I go for 16's.

Reversing into my driveway now is an exercise in caution.

One of the front perches was missing the lower spring shim, but I can't imagine new front spring shims would make too much difference in height? maybe 3-4mm?

The yuppie-mobile in its natural habitat:

IMG_4125.jpg

IMG_4130.jpg

thing of beauty she is :D

• Like 1

Did an oil and filter change this weekend - put in some Penrite 20w60 (mineral) which I got on special.

Not to start an oil debate, and I'm not sure what it was run on previously but the manual says 20w50 and I will probably be changing it every 6 months anyway. Might just grab some Castrol or Valvoline 20w50 next time. 10-12c likely as cold as this car will ever endure.

Started to do the fuel filter but decided it would be a shitty little job on jackstands being an inch from my nose and of negligible benefit - maybe next time its in a proper shop.

Tested out my new 42kg 3000kg jack - as expected picks up the e30 like a feather, gets nice and high and drops it really slow and steady.

Also have a little 16kg alloy 'racing jack' rated at 1500kg which does the job but does not get very high - deciding wether to keep it for jacking control arms / transmission for other jobs as its much smaller and easier to manoeuvre.

IMG-4150.jpg

• Like 1

Not to start an oil debate but manual says you can use 'special oils' too :D 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Not to start an oil debate but manual says you can use 'special oils' too :D 

Been there, done that - Olive oil definitely belongs in the kitchen 🤣

Edited by Sammo
  • Like 1

Fuel filter is a lot easier on the E30 than E46 as it’s not as far under. Definitely want to replace the rubber hose on each end of it as well, but guessing you were already going to do that. 

• Like 2

Ordered some wheels - been looking at these for a while but shipping / tax made me hesitate.

https://www.classiceuroparts.com/product/16-wheel-set-for-bmw-1502-1602-2002-tii-e21-e30-alpina-4x100-staggered-7j-8j/

Maxilite Alpina Replicas - yes, I know... but these a quality, TUV certified wheel and half the price of Alpina 30-35 year old cast wheels which may or may not need repainting. Also means I can afford to keep my 15" weaves and change up the look as I like.

I found their Australian distributor who was a fair bit cheaper, and will split the consignment so I am saving on the shipping (vs US / Europe) and the duty - still not cheap, but much more palatable.

I went for a staggered setup - purely for looks of course -  more lip and filling out the rear guards - 16x7 and 16x8.

Now I need to decide what rubber to put on the rear - 225/45/16 is the correct size but options here are very slim indeed.

I may run 205/50/16 all-round as there are plenty of quality options in that size.

IMG-4183.jpg

• Like 2

205/50 might be a bit stretched on a 8” wheel no? Like you will have a straight/square profile up front but a stretched look on the rear.

4 minutes ago, qube said:

205/50 might be a bit stretched on a 8” wheel no? Like you will have a straight/square profile up front but a stretched look on the rear.

Yeah, it will be a little bit stretched - just outside the cusp of LVVTA guidelines. Nothing compared what plenty of guys run though.

Not ideal, but only 225 45 16's I can find in NZ is Yoko AD08R - a great tyre I'm sure but total overkill on a 325i.

I know a guy who is selling a set of basically new Eagle F1 Asymmetric cheap too which is tempting (4x 205 50 16)

Depends on the brand, some run narrow others wide but 205mm is 8.07 inchs so should be pretty straight

• Like 1

205 will be fine - had 205 on 8.5's and were barely stretched.

225's will be excessive i have them on my 9/9.5's and they are very large - you will see on saturday at the drury meet

Nice choice on the wheels though - ive been looking at them also as an extra set of wheels

• Like 2

Yeah the higher profile tyres certainly mask the stretch. Crap picture of my old E30 on 205/55R15 15x8 rear with Toyo T1R (soft sidewalls)

I recall ride quality and grip was rear grip reduced somewhat though compared to 15x7's. The increased tyre pressure was probably partly responsible.

481819655_e30-Copy.thumb.JPG.5e691613298001f9615bd2b52a7f3a6a.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eagle said:

Yeah the higher profile tyres certainly mask the stretch. Crap picture of my old E30 on 205/55R15 15x8 rear with Toyo T1R (soft sidewalls)

I recall ride quality and grip was rear grip reduced somewhat though compared to 15x7's. The increased tyre pressure was probably partly responsible.

481819655_e30-Copy.thumb.JPG.5e691613298001f9615bd2b52a7f3a6a.JPG

Looks good!

Yes, I imagine 205 on an 8J may be slightly less tractable than on a 7J but I think if I get decent tyres (PS4 / Eagle F1) it won't be an issue unless I provoke it.

Had a great little E30 meet in Drury yesterday - some wicked cars on display, especially the V8 Beast @WYZEUP 

Watching Magnus Walker rip on his vintage Porsches on Youtube motivated me to take her out for a spanking this morning and test out the new shocks and springs.

Great fun blasting around the rural roads around Coatsville / Waimauku and Helensville - this old M20 just keeps pulling hard to the redline and loves it - has really been singing since @BMTHUG adjusted the valve clearances.

New suspension is good too - firm enough for fun but not too crashy - its never going to ride as well as my E46, but no issues at all. 

Couldn't resist a little photo shoot of course.

M325i Dec 21-22.jpg

• Like 9

Was good to meet you @Sammo looking forward to the development of your beautiful coupe

And great to see so many other variations of e30's out there

• Like 2