Sammo

Lachssilber 1989 E30 M325i

Car is looking great, but for me is let down by the knockoff faded euro plates. Looking forward the progress updates.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, KwS said:

Car is looking great, but for me is let down by the knockoff faded euro plates. Looking forward the progress updates.

Those are the brand new genuine silver euro plates 🤣 maybe I should have gone black - definitely look faded from some angles

• Haha 1

Enjoy, they can be a real mission in the wet, I’ve slid around at 15km/h. An older BMW mechanic told me once that they used to get regularly damaged on mechanics test drives in the rain, so only the foreman was allowed to take them out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Those are the brand new genuine silver euro plates 🤣 maybe I should have gone black - definitely look faded from some angles

Awkward.... 🤣

I didnt even notice it wasnt wearing them in the original photos, i thought the car came with them. Good to know though, silver is no bueno. 

Edited by KwS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KwS said:

Awkward.... 🤣

I didnt even notice it wasnt wearing them in the original photos, i thought the car came with them. Good to know though, silver is no bueno. 

Depends on angle, but yeah, it’s a bit suss

D71609A4-8A27-482F-81F1-4ACE4F98CB39.jpeg

• Like 1

I like the choice of silver wings for the plates on your car. 

looks super clean to me

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Sammo said:

Depends on angle, but yeah, it’s a bit suss

D71609A4-8A27-482F-81F1-4ACE4F98CB39.jpeg

I like them.  If you ever went for clear or smoked indicators it would look slick too

• Like 2

Need to get some chrome badges for the rear imo, black badges are meh on a car like this.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, qube said:

Need to get some chrome badges for the rear imo, black badges are meh on a car like this.

100% - ordered new FCP OEM rear badge plus 325 & 'i' ('i' sold separately haha) and a $75 ///M badge front and rear 🤣

Even new Mtechnic stickers :)

• Like 2

Stupid easy to get the rear to step out on greasy roads - need a driver upgrade now - almost made a fool of myself in an intersection giving a touch of throttle mid corner

Enjoy, they can be a real mission in the wet, I’ve slid around at 15km/h. An older BMW mechanic told me once that they used to get regularly damaged on mechanics test drives in the rain, so only the foreman was allowed to take them out.

They are hilarious in the wet eh. Basically just sideways everywhere, in slow motion. Every round-a-bout, every intersection.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

^ reminds me of my old e34 535i. Suuuper tail happy with a little bit of gas in the wet. (And even in dry)

Some inspiration for a few upcoming missions there. Except the last part.. 

• Like 2

My new Anthrazit Uberkaro shift / Handbrake boots arrived today - look great with the Condor gear knob - will most likely go this way (Dark Uberkaro) with the interior, perhaps with charcoal Alcantara bolsters 😎

My Reverse RDS Radio is also en-route from BMW Radios - modified with Bluetooth / custom text / RCA pre-outs - should keep a great factory look with a good connectivity - not much cheaper than the Blaupunkt SQR46 but looks better IMO.

My Sunroof winder also arrived which is great because I can rock the '80's tilt' but it sucks because now I know I need to do get some relatively significant rust work done 😳 

There is significant visible rust on both rear inner edges of the Sunroof cassette, although the roof skin looks clean (from the part I can see without removing the headliner)

Definitely a bummer but at the end of the day I knew I was going to be spending a lot on this thing and I'm in it for the long haul.

Guess I'll just recalibrate the budget again!

IMG-3637.jpg

IMG-3658.jpg

IMG-3676.jpg

IMG-3669.jpg

IMG-3674.jpg

918e7a39b2d71bd85d3e26cf6b42a1ec.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, E28E30 said:

Where did you order the radio from @Sammo? Looks awesome

Its a guy on Instagram / IS Workshop who does them, from Estonia but checks out so will let you know when / if it arrives 🤣

You can have any 8 character custom text for the bluetooth channel / screen and a custom scrolling text when you turn it on - comes with an external mic for bluetooth calls etc.

https://www.instagram.com/bmwradios/?hl=en

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forum/e30-classified-forums/for-sale-wanted/parts-for-sale/9978890-original-bmw-radios-with-bluetooth-hands-free-and-button-control

• Like 3

Just now, Sammo said:

Its a guy on Instagram / IS Workshop who does them, from Estonia but checks out so will let you know when / if it arrives 🤣

You can have any 8 character custom text for the bluetooth channel / screen and a custom scrolling text when you turn it on - comes with an external mic for bluetooth calls etc.

https://www.instagram.com/bmwradios/?hl=en

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forum/e30-classified-forums/for-sale-wanted/parts-for-sale/9978890-original-bmw-radios-with-bluetooth-hands-free-and-button-control

Awesome will look forward to the install outcomes your end 

1 hour ago, Sammo said:

]My Sunroof winder also arrived which is great because I can rock the '80's tilt' but it sucks because now I know I need to do get some relatively significant rust work done 😳 

There is significant visible rust on both rear inner edges of the Sunroof cassette, although the roof skin looks clean (from the part I can see without removing the headliner)

IMG-3669.jpg

IMG-3674.jpg

Further confirmation of my long held belief that sunroofs are the devil's work.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Bugger. Both screens out to remove headlining. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Palazzo said:

Bugger. Both screens out to remove headlining. 

Damnit! I don’t imagine rust free sunroof cassettes are easy to find either…

3 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Or actually rust free. 

Split my sunroof, got it acid dipped, and painted 2 years ago, it's already rusting between the 2 sheets again, as well as on the tabs. And this is on a car that spends most of its life in a garage. 

Not sure if I'll bother to go through the process again, something like this is probably the way to go. 

https://www.highline-motorsports.com/product-page/e30-sunroof

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, nick496 said:

Or actually rust free. 

Split my sunroof, got it acid dipped, and painted 2 years ago, it's already rusting between the 2 sheets again, as well as on the tabs. And this is on a car that spends most of its life in a garage. 

Not sure if I'll bother to go through the process again, something like this is probably the way to go. 

https://www.highline-motorsports.com/product-page/e30-sunroof

Damn… perhaps I just enjoy this summer with a sunroof then do a delete… for, errr… weight savings.

Or do you mean just your sunroof panel is rusting again?

6 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Damn… perhaps I just enjoy this summer with a sunroof then do a delete… for, errr… weight savings.

Or do you mean just your sunroof panel is rusting again?

Just the panel is rusting again. After getting all the rust removed. 

I would suggest glancing your eye down the cassette tray when you've pulled the sunroof out to see if there is anything there. Mine seems to be fine. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nick496 said:

Just the panel is rusting again. After getting all the rust removed. 

I would suggest glancing your eye down the cassette tray when you've pulled the sunroof out to see if there is anything there. Mine seems to be fine. 

The above pics were what I could see on the rear sides / rails of the cassette tray unfortunately - the panel itself looks better but likely has issues under the liner… 

Will pull headliner out later in summer when interior is out  to get a better idea though.

211DD47D-4171-4338-BFE0-552FFE0D43F5.jpeg

• Sad 1

On 12/21/2021 at 7:47 AM, Sammo said:

Haven't seen anything (sunroof cassette) come up in NZ for some time.

There is a roof cut (non sunroof) for sale on e30 classified NZ (FB) for sale. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 325iRod said:

Haven't seen anything (sunroof cassette) come up in NZ for some time.

There is a roof cut (non sunroof) for sale on e30 classified NZ (FB) for sale. 

Thank you - I saw that - are 4 door / 2 door roof cuts / sunroofs interchangeable?

Will take out headliner for a proper look later in summer and go from there...

Edited by Sammo