Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

Lightweight Porsche

29 unanswered questions.

On an auction that specifically says "call me - don't ask questions on TM".

Difficult to see anybody pushing the Buy Now button on this one.

I think I am done with Trademe.

• Like 1

Sadly, the country is full of the people that haunt trade me.

If you choose to use Trademe then you're choosing to use their system, Q&A included. This is especially important if you're trying to sell a bucket of rust for top dollar. The seller's arrogance doesn't help their chances of a sale.

On a lighter note, how did that even happen? Did they import it already rusting and just didn't clean it properly? It's pretty tough to get a vehicle looking like that in New Zealand, even if you leave it outside.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

If you choose to use Trademe then you're choosing to use their system, Q&A included. This is especially important if you're trying to sell a bucket of rust for top dollar. The seller's arrogance doesn't help their chances of a sale.

On a lighter note, how did that even happen? Did they import it already rusting and just didn't clean it properly? It's pretty tough to get a vehicle looking like that in New Zealand, even if you leave it outside.

I feel like a read somewhere that it was stored under a tarp somewhere damp, hence the rust.

TBH seeing what classic Porches are worth, i dont even think that it is "top dollar". Sure, it looks bad, but its all fixable, and its RHD, live rego and rare sportomatic. If i won lotto it'd be in my garage.

Yeah i'm not sure that's fixable...  I think there's more air than chassis left and what's left would dissolve in a cup of tea like a super wine if you tried to clean it.

Edited by GorGasm
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, KwS said:

I feel like a read somewhere that it was stored under a tarp somewhere damp, hence the rust.

TBH seeing what classic Porches are worth, i dont even think that it is "top dollar". Sure, it looks bad, but its all fixable, and its RHD, live rego and rare sportomatic. If i won lotto it'd be in my garage.

Agree, on the surface the price seems outlandish BUT, these cars are begin listed for $150k-$250k.  I have a hard time believing anyone is buying at this price but more then one party seems to think it's possible.  So, 50k for this car 70k for resto and you can still make 20k-50k profit... if you can sell it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GorGasm said:

Yeah i'm not sure that's fixable...  I think there's more air than chassis left and what's left would dissolve in a cup of tea like a super wine if you tried to clean it.

Everything is fixable, its only metal. Repair panels are available (at a cost), and its just welding. You should see what the Brits rebuild, if you think thats bad!

15 hours ago, M3AN said:

Not difficult - 52 year old car, from a time before rust prevention from factory was a thing.

Also looks like it’s had a pretty poor attempt at a restoration / re-spray in the past from the way the paint is falling off the filler / primer. If the rust wasn’t properly treated at that point it would have made it worse by just blowing paint over the top.

The photos are stunning! If I had throwaway money, this would be the ultimate resto project. Always so sad that an iconic car gets to this stage. Cue sad Porsche face

57289CA5-331C-4F24-A913-B48363BC46A0.thumb.jpeg.d51c4b83fb14ba915e42e5e378d67848.jpeg

I do find it funny that the listing says that “It’s a very complete car”. I think when you step in a car and your foot goes through it, “complete” isn’t the right word.

• Like 1

Perhaps if you bought a vacuum cleaner on pick up, then vacuumed underneath it, it would be considered complete.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jacko said:

Perhaps if you bought a vacuum cleaner on pick up, then vacuumed underneath it, it would be considered complete.

Better hope they didnt sweep any rust into the bin. That'll be $$$ off the price if they did.

• Haha 1

Quick Google shows 100,00€

• Thanks 1