Sign in to follow this  
Polemic

Any Wellington iDrive / CIC experts around?

All the people with knowledge of converting Japanese radio / navigation to work in NZ seem to be based in the top of the North Island, so I'm putting the call out for someone in or around Wellington that's done this / can do this for me.

I have just bought a 2009 525i. Carjam told me "manufactured in Germany" and bimmer.work says "Market: Europe (right Steering)" so I assumed it'd be compatible as my last, much loved 330Ci proved to be. So much for assumptions...

So I'd like to get the radio, navigation and TV (though the latter isn't essential) working. I've tried the various advice threads on here; I've set the TV to "New Zealand" but nothing gets picked up; it's a CIC so there's no "mode" button for the radio, and the navigation actually displays, but shows me Japan 🤦‍♂️

Ironically I work in radio but I'd find it easier to tune our transmitter down to the 70MHz band than I've found getting the radio to go up above 90MHz.

Is there anyone local who can actually point at things and talk me through what I need to do or, alternatively, is there an outfit in Wellington (other than the BMW dealer) who does this for a not outrageous price?

TIA

Can help and Wellington based. 02108941411

Is there anyone in CHC that could help me do the same? I have a 335i e92 2010, i know my way around ista d but to scared to play around with ista p. Cheers 

Pramod knows his stuff and will sort you out.

For others/discussion, I've been working through figuring out the maps process, alongside updating the hard drive to SSD, there's a lot of scattered info around what can/can't be done so it's a bit of work to sift through it... Radio is easy, just settings in NCSexpert.

On 12/16/2021 at 8:43 PM, promo said:

Can help and Wellington based. 02108941411

Hey Promo, what do you charge for navigation and radio Japan to NZ change over on 2012 120i? Thanks

You'll be able to switch the radio frequency to NZ.

Doubt it on the Navi without buying new hardware. I think the Japanese nav is different that the rest of the world.

The TV will be a no go. At least as far as the one in my E90. It's an analog tuner and NZ has switched off all analog tv transmission, we're dvb-t only now. 

On 12/28/2021 at 3:39 PM, Chrisf said:

You'll be able to switch the radio frequency to NZ.

Haven't figured out how to do that. Fiddled with every setting I can find. 

Doubt it on the Navi without buying new hardware. I think the Japanese nav is different that the rest of the world.

Hopefully Pramod can sort that. He reckons he can.

The TV will be a no go. At least as far as the one in my E90. It's an analog tuner and NZ has switched off all analog tv transmission, we're dvb-t only now. 

😬 I figured as much... though I'm idly turning over in my mind a set top box, stuck somewhere in the boot maybe, run off an inverter... but that's for when I've got everything else I want done (so probably never lol).

Hi all,

As Tawa mentioned, the cic you need to code and reimage the HDD. Also note the last map update for  navigation is 2020. Bmw didn't do anymore for the cic. It's probably best to invest in the android screen from AliExpress

On 1/5/2022 at 5:00 PM, Polemic said:

Haven't figured out how to do that. Fiddled with every setting I can find. 

It's a setting you need to code in, I used NCS expert with a DCan cable to change the VO (vehicle order) specs from Japan to NZ. This is from experience with my E70, which I think is the same as E60/61 and E90/91. It's simple once you know what to do, but it's a steep learning curve as well.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 6:32 PM, tawa said:

Pramod knows his stuff and will sort you out.

For others/discussion, I've been working through figuring out the maps process, alongside updating the hard drive to SSD, there's a lot of scattered info around what can/can't be done so it's a bit of work to sift through it... Radio is easy, just settings in NCSexpert.

I'm interested in that hard drive to ssd upgrade if you get it sorted

20 hours ago, Kiwi_BMW said:

I'm interested in that hard drive to ssd upgrade if you get it sorted

It's done, working mint with the extra space, though maps are ongoing since I didn't have working maps to start with, more details in the thread below.

On 1/19/2022 at 11:22 AM, tawa said:

It's done, working mint with the extra space, though maps are ongoing since I didn't have working maps to start with, more details in the thread below.

Thanks for the info, I got my hdd image done and it now has the ssd working, and I've got the original hdd stored and another backup of it on another ssd.

I had NZ maps before and all that still works, but I didn't get the size expanded to fill the ssd.

With the combox installed I can run all my music off a usb drive, and have picture art as well, just can't seem to get the phone to connect via bluetooth

I do have connected drive menu present and internet, but until I get the phone to connect I won't be able to try and get that working.