Sign in to follow this  
chuckitinbro

Spare wheels - what do you do?

So i've driven my e61 for a year now with no spare on tyres that arent run flats. Figured i was pushing my luck. Found a pair of 19x8 aftermarket alloys with 235/35 on them for a bargain so i grabbed them but they are slightly to wide a diameter to fit in the wheel well even with all the trim removed.

What do other people do since spare's seem to be hard to come by these days. Do i hunt for a 16" with a low enough profile to fit ?

I have an AA Plus membership, that's my spare wheel 😅

• Like 1

I don't have runflats and to begin with I carried a battery powered pump and a can of miracle puncture fixing goop. But I was never really happy about relying on that, so I hunted down a spacesaver spare plus a jack and wheel brace. The spare rides in the boot with a couple of ratchet tiedowns holding it secure. Takes up a lot of room but I don't ever carry much in the coupe so no problem.

Cheers...

• Like 1

Can of goop and an AA membership.

Tried Pickapart for a space saver? Just calculate the size to see if it will work.

Also, if you get a flat with non run flats, you need to stop immediately. I shredded an $850 Michelin in 800m between noticing and stopping.

• Sad 1

If you do get a space saver also check the wheel bolts are suitable. Some cars run different or shorter bolts for the space saver. 

4 hours ago, KwS said:

If you do get a space saver also check the wheel bolts are suitable.

Pretty sure I checked that when I bought the spacesaver... but... you know... paranoia :( So I went and had another look and yes, I can use the factory wheel bolts to attach the spare. Bolt length is also OK as the spare is a BMW factory item and when fitted the bolts have the same engagement in the hub as with a factory mag (as you might expect with a factory spare :) )

Wheel I bought is size 125/80-17 which is the BMW recommended size for the 335i Msport on factory 18" wheels and using factory recommended tyre sizes.

Cheers...

I bought the official space saver from a wrecker, came out of an e60. It fits in my e61 wheel well tightly with the carpet/trim modified slightly, or I understand you can buy different trim to suit (or just take the trim out).

If it helps I can check the wheel size when I’m in the boot next?