Sign in to follow this  
Palazzo

“New” old stock tyres

I think I’ve made my mind up on this, but curious for any feedback.

New, wrapped in plastic tyres, manufactured in 2017 (4 years, 15 weeks), offered at a 27% discount on new price.

Yes or no?

I'd say it depends on various factors. What tyres they are, what they're going on, what sort of driving they will do, and how they have been stored. Keep in mind if you don't do many km they will take a long time to wear out and end up on the car well beyond their lifespan. 

For some tyres 5-6 years is the expected life span, whilst some it's 10 years. 

I might put them on a daily zipping around town, but probably not. 

Runflats, on the X5, probably 50/50 city/country, they’ll only last 18,000km anyway.

They felt quite dry if that makes sense.

I’m leaning no, not enough discount to try.

• Like 1

Hyper has bumped their price up to say they're $1500+ each, 40% gets them to just over $1k. They were on TM at $680 new and the ones I looked at were $500 each. Tyroola (probably also old stock) is $618.

It was just a thought, I have a spare set of 20", so can hold off on the 21". Think I'll run with my "no'.

Momo are about $1500/set in 20".

• Haha 1

Maybe if you were doing 20k per year on them.  Better off getting a cheaper fresh tyre though.

I hate the vibe of old tyres, just not worth the risk of getting dodgy ones. They might roll and hold air, and grip ok, but under extremes of emergency braking, cornering in the wet etc tyres that are loosing their performance edge due to age can fail to work as efficiently so  it makes sense to just spend the extra and get a fresh set. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 1:44 PM, Palazzo said:

Runflats, on the X5, probably 50/50 city/country, they’ll only last 18,000km anyway.

What brand and type? Are they a “performance” tyre, or a hard wearing style?

How quickly would you do the 18,000kms?

If they have not been mounted and stored correctly then that’s a big difference to sitting on a rim supporting a car for all that time.

On 12/21/2021 at 1:44 PM, Palazzo said:

They felt quite dry if that makes sense.

I’m leaning no, not enough discount to try.

how on earth do you only get 18,000km from them ?? sounds like you have a serious alignment issue or the airbags not inflating properly etc.

I have an X5 too, its my daily and has a trailer on most weekends, towing a car at least once or twice a month. 

mine are nearly done on the back now, at 35,000
(just about to tick over 200 and i brought the car at 157, and changed them not long after i brought it)

@_ethrty-Andy_ lots of generations of X5s, lots of different models, and lots of different suspension set ups. One X5 is not necessarily like another. Inner rear shoulder wear is usually the first point of wear on the later E70 / F15 models, especially when they have staggered fitment wheels and tyres which prevents you from rotating them around.

A lot of it also comes down to driving style, there are many that drive an X5 like a sports sedan and as a result see short life spans for tyres, brake pads and rotors.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/29/2021 at 7:35 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

@_ethrty-Andy_ lots of generations of X5s, lots of different models, and lots of different suspension set ups. One X5 is not necessarily like another. Inner rear shoulder wear is usually the first point of wear on the later E70 / F15 models, especially when they have staggered fitment wheels and tyres which prevents you from rotating them around.

A lot of it also comes down to driving style, there are many that drive an X5 like a sports sedan and as a result see short life spans for tyres, brake pads and rotors.

im not an idiot, mate.

Ive met Scott before, he is not the sort of driver you describe.

Even if he was, No road car, ever, should be getting 18,000km from a set of tyres, much less a set of brake pads and rotors.

It is an alignment issue for sure. maybe bent arms etc and alignment needs to compensate.

If its not and BMW consider 18,000km normal life from a 30d, thats incredible.

Stop/start on a x5 is the killer due to the torque, under inflation and alignment but its normalish for people to get mid 20kms on a set of rears. Flipside is have seen customers getting 75km on them but they always use eco mode and generally open road driving. Don't have to drive like an idiot to get wear.

PS4S on the rear of my car have worn through the belts at 20k.  So yeah 18k isn't far off the mark.  Fronts probably have another 15k in them though.

I'm grabbing some Atturo AZ850s once the shop open again, $600 for two fitted vs $1300 for Hankooks and moon beams for anything else.  Will report back.

Edited by GorGasm

This was one of the reasons I ended up with a SE vs M-Sport E70 X5. It meant I could at least rotate the tyres to get some more life out of them without the staggered setup. I got about 25k out of a pair if I recall, rears tended to get more inner wear despite being aligned and checked. 

16 hours ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

im not an idiot, mate.

Ive met Scott before, he is not the sort of driver you describe.

Even if he was, No road car, ever, should be getting 18,000km from a set of tyres, much less a set of brake pads and rotors.

It is an alignment issue for sure. maybe bent arms etc and alignment needs to compensate.

If its not and BMW consider 18,000km normal life from a 30d, thats incredible.

I only get about 20k from a set of tyres and that's pretty much across most cars I own, but my E70 is a tire eater and I have had it aligned twice . The reason is simple. I live in the country and I drive so many corners to get to and from a main road, 52 per trip and I have make 3 runs on average a day. so that's over 300 corners a day. For reference the road is Whiteman's Valley and its the reason I first bought a BMW. 

18kms is what BMW told me to expect on a standard alignment, he suggested easing off on the negative camber rears if I wanted to increase tyre life, I’m not that bothered.

That tyre life ties in with what I’ve just experienced with the car, I’d estimate 22-24kms, but it now does more kms in town turning manouvering etc.
There is no suspension damage, air bag issues or alignment problems, it’s just a big heavy car on (factory) 21” wheels running some negative camber that sometimes gets driven enthusiastically and sometimes carries a sh*t load of luggage/roof box/bike rack.

It’s the inner edges on the rears that give up, an upside is that 18kms is better than 15kms which I got on my Falcon Turbo. I have a friend with an E70 Motorsport that regularly tows a heavy boat, he gets 8-10kms, so I’m already in credit.

If rear tyre wear is killing you, perhaps you could consider upgrading to a solid rear axle ? :pokerface-min:

Cheers...