Sign in to follow this  
hugo_nz

Coming back into the BMW fold

Hi folks!

After only a short 5/6 months I am dumping my e-tron and ordering an iX. The e-tron is pretty capable and the ride and handling are excellent but Audi’s MMI and car software are a hot mess and now that there’s a BMW alternative I’m coming back home.

Our order spec:
Xdrive40 Sport
Mineral white metallic 
Amido interior
Comfort and Enhancement Packages

I drove the iX (test car photos attached) this week and wrote a quick comparison to the e-tron:

https://evforum.co.nz/quick-reads-bm...on-50-quattro/

ED217567-FDE0-4EAF-AA93-B81D94BEDD10.jpeg

E0E64C14-6F88-4F48-A569-13D5BFD7C7D7.jpeg

• Like 6

Keen to see when it arrives Hugh, what’s the delivery lead time on the 40? The quality looks exceptional if a bit quirky but I like it.

19 minutes ago, Breaker said:

Keen to see when it arrives Hugh, what’s the delivery lead time on the 40? The quality looks exceptional if a bit quirky but I like it.

I was absolutely blown away by the fit and finish. It’s 7-series quality taken up a notch or two. You could buy the base spec car and still get things like massage seats but I really want the sky lounge and laser lights 🙂

Might still change my mind in the colour combo too since the Atelier white interior looks pretty sweet but can only be had with sensatec. 

Deliveries are only expected in Q2 next year so I have to live the the e-tron for a while longer. #firstworldproblems

1 hour ago, hugo_nz said:

so I have to live the the e-tron for a while longer. #firstworldproblems

...just as you are getting used to Audi's MMI 😁

1 hour ago, freaknout said:

...just as you are getting used to Audi's MMI 😁

Not so much as getting used to it as getting it to work. It’s rife with bugs that cause the entire system to lock up daily and remote services work 1 time out of 10. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, hugo_nz said:

Deliveries are only expected in Q2 next year so I have to live the the e-tron for a while longer. #firstworldproblems

Hope it’s not to long a wait for you, I would have wanted all the kit and options as well, the look amazing 

5 hours ago, hugo_nz said:

Not so much as getting used to it as getting it to work. It’s rife with bugs that cause the entire system to lock up daily and remote services work 1 time out of 10. 

My car was similar when I first bought it earlier last year, constant software bugs with i-drive 7 but BMW eventually got their sh*t together and rolled out lots of OTA updates since. Absolutely love it now.  disappointing that You've had to go through that with no solution from Audi

Edited by Navin
  • Like 1

A these the low cost successor to the i3? The low rent interior looks even more basic than a prius if that's possible. I guess it makes sense you get what you pay for if they are affordable to most new Zealanders as an entry level electric car. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Michael. said:

A these the low cost successor to the i3? The low rent interior looks even more basic than a prius if that's possible. I guess it makes sense you get what you pay for if they are affordable to most new Zealanders as an entry level electric car. 

Dude what are you on about?

2 hours ago, Michael. said:

Are you one of these people who thinks BMW has done nothing right for the last 25 years?

52 minutes ago, hugo_nz said:

Dude what are you on about?

I'm just confused at what spec this car is, is it one of BMWs new economy electric cars? Looking at the design it seems like they are going for a lower cost minimalist approach to make them cheaper for the mass market, are they more affordable than previous electric models? 

1 minute ago, Michael. said:

I'm just confused at what spec this car is, is it one of BMWs new economy electric cars? Looking at the design it seems like they are going for a lower cost minimalist approach to make them cheaper for the mass market, are they more affordable than previous electric models? 

It’s the iX which will be BMWs technology flagship for the next while. It does have a minimalist design approach inside yes but material quality is better than the 7-series and it’s priced to match, starting at $163900 for the xdrive40 model. Size wise its comparable to the x5 (a little longer, slightly narrower). The old i3 has nothing on this. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hugo_nz said:

It’s the iX which will be BMWs technology flagship for the next while. It does have a minimalist design approach inside yes but material quality is better than the 7-series and it’s priced to match, starting at $163900 for the xdrive40 model. Size wise its comparable to the x5 (a little longer, slightly narrower). The old i3 has nothing on this. 

Oh right wow I thought it was a Nissan Leaf competitor. Price suggests otherwise! wow 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

You do you, personally I think its an abomination that needs killing with fire :D 

Im not always right though. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, NZ BMW said:

Are you one of these people who thinks BMW has done nothing right for the last 25 years?

Bmw hasn't done anything right for a few years now. This iX thing is one of them imo. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NZ BMW said:

I would say they've done some things right (non-M 3 series, 5 series) but this is not one of them...

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Michael. said:

Oh right wow I thought it was a Nissan Leaf competitor. Price suggests otherwise! wow 

You might want to read up on what’s new in the automotive world, things have moved on quite a bit, especially in the world of interior finishes and technology. Sustainability is a big thing now and 90s plastics are no longer in vogue.

The problem with changing things as radically as the iX is that it will always be very divisive, give it a few years and then see.

Whilst the iX is not my favourite style of vehicle (ie large SAV) the ride, the drive and the tech are mighty impressive and I can’t wait to see them transposed into my favourite, the sports sedan in the shape of an i4.

Here’s hoping that BMW have hit the right spot with the market, so they can sell cars and stay in business, which then maintains the supply of spare parts for our older models.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

You might want to read up on what’s new in the automotive world, things have moved on quite a bit, especially in the world of interior finishes and technology. Sustainability is a big thing now and 90s plastics are no longer in vogue.

Oh right, I only read car magazines and things from the 1950 to 1990s as that is all I'm interested in. I like to fix & drive old cars so would never buy anything new, plus they're out of my price range. 

7 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

The problem with changing things as radically as the iX is that it will always be very divisive, give it a few years and then see.

Here’s hoping that BMW have hit the right spot with the market, so they can sell cars and stay in business, which then maintains the supply of spare parts for our older models.

Except that their ICE equivalent (the XM) is just as bad, if not worse, suggesting that BMW designers have lost the plot.

It's not a good sign when the hope is they stay in business to supply parts for the old cars that were actually good.

Edited by balancerider

1 hour ago, balancerider said:

when the hope is they stay in business to supply parts for the old cars that were actually good.

I’m sure that’s just one “hope” that the business has in its plans. I certainly hope they do keep supplying parts for all ICE models in years to come…

1 hour ago, BreakMyWindow said:

I’m sure that’s just one “hope” that the business has in its plans. I certainly hope they do keep supplying parts for all ICE models in years to come…

I see Nissan with their Nismo heritage program is now making a new OEM spec titanium exhaust for R32 GT-R models

No doubt that would cost moonbeams, but still it's nice to see the dedication some manufactures are putting in 

Edited by Michael.

So today was the day. My iX build order is in and confirmed as BMW New Zealand order number 32! Currently looking at a May/June delivery. Pretty excited, not going to lie! My order specs are below:

* Xdrive 40 MSport
* Mineral White Metallic (A96)
* 22" Aerodynamic wheels 1020 Bicolour 3D (1LD)
* Amido Black Leather Interior (SCHA)
* ENHANCEMENT PACKAGE
   - Sky Lounge Panorama Roof (407)
   - Soft Close Doors (323)
   - Laser Lights (5AZ)
* Active Ventilated Seats (453)

I had the option to forward purchase a dealer demonstrator but that car has the crystal interior appliques which I really don't like and lacks ventilated seats. I figured I'd be better served just ordering the spec I want. A few pics from the configurator are attached.

ix-order-spec-06.png

ix-order-spec-01.png

ix-order-spec-02.png

ix-order-spec-03.png

ix-order-spec-05.png

ix-order-spec-04.png

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, hugo_nz said:

I may have also ordered a cheeky custom number plate 😛

:)