Sign in to follow this  
Gorrington

2005 E46 Bluetooth set up..

Hi all, just bought the above car. 

Can't work out how to hook up the Bluetooth to my phone. It's got the original BMW head unit. My phone isn't picking up any Bluetooth signal. 

Thanks for your help... 

Have you got a photo of the head unit and anything else that indicates it has bluetooth? Would be pretty rare on an E46

If it still has the eject box fitted ( under arm rest) there will be a button on it with a speaking man. 
press and hold that button and turn key to position 1(acc),  keep holding for about 5 secs, then it should go into pairing mode. 
- if it doesn’t have eject box - it’s a bit complicated.. contact to assist if you need. 

• Like 1

I looked under the armrest and centre cup holders, nothing there but wires. 

I took a photo of the connector under the armrest. 

20211229_134731.jpg

20211229_134740.jpg

Yup, that's where the holder for the "snap in adapter" or Eject box as it was referenced above, should be sitting. Unfortunately it looks like it has been removed for some reason, as this is where the button for pairing is fitted.

I wonder if it has been removed to have the cup holders put back in, as they take up the same space. Did the car definately have the factory bluetooth option fitted?

Found something online from a BMW guy, says put paperclip between 1 & 17 in the plug and it will reboot the Bluetooth.. 

I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know how it goes. 

Here’s the install  instructions.

http://www.carnationsoftware.com/carnation/images/OwnersManualBluetooth.pdf

It been 10 years since I last did a ulf / Bluetooth install , but on module startup the pairing pin needs to go to ground and you will see pairing come up on top of screen. At that point you pair your phone and put in the pin written on the sticker on the module.

I’d be careful on the pin 17 bit as you’ll find with bmw the context changes between the pins on the module verse PIN number on connectors . Pin 17 on ULF is main power feed so if that is shorted expect a blown fuse.

I have a old spreadsheet somewhere so I’ll have a look tomorrow from the original install I did . Mine was removing a Japan telephone module and replaced it with a euro ulf so a number of pins needed to change positions.

Edited by Neal

Btw, that fakar aerial connector in your hand would normally plug into Bluetooth aerial that is installed under the console rear ashtray . You might not have one.

however if you car has a shark fin aerial on the roof that one will work for Bluetooth.