Sign in to follow this  
qube

Rising fuel prices. What now? Diesel? Hybrid?

1 hour ago, aja540i said:

Imagine having an old classic car in your garage and KNOWING that whenever you want to drive it, it will just work! 

I can't  imagine that. 

I moved my Austin 10 on Sunday and the pinion seal let go from excitement 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, aja540i said:

Imagine having an old classic car in your garage and KNOWING that whenever you want to drive it, it will just work! 

Where’s the fun in that? Most of the excitement with classic cars is wondering if you will actually make it to your destination!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, balancerider said:

@KwS some of them (B48/B58) have lower compression engines (option S858) but not designed for 91 Octane AFAIK. @E30 325i Rag-Top may be able to clarify

The “poor quality fuel” option SA858 is no longer required for NZ, and hasn’t been for some while. Pretty much everything has some form of knock sensor to adjust the fuel and timing maps to adjust for fuel quality.

Most models are “recommended” for 95 but “minimum” 91, with the exception of M Cars that are 98 recommended, and 95 (IIRC) min.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HalfJobHarry said:

Trust me...the increased MPG and the fact that at one point in time diesel was less than HALF the price of petrol in the UK was the  main driver.

Really, when was that? I worked with diesel FIE and owned a diesel all the time I lived in UK, and wasn’t then. Whilst I’ve been away a fair while whenever I’ve been back price has been pretty close, and the RAC cost comparison shows the same view..

CA4F7D87-7A80-41B6-A00B-834070693DC8.png
You’re not thinking of the agri “red” diesel are you?

There are simple cost comparator spreadsheets around for petrol v diesel costs, I’ve even seen some for NZ which include the RUC component. 
Back to the original question @qube do you have anywhere you can charge an EV, either at home or work or somewhere else you spend a period of time? Free charging at work is the best option 😁

54 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Really, when was that? I worked with diesel FIE and owned a diesel all the time I lived in UK, and wasn’t then. Whilst I’ve been away a fair while whenever I’ve been back price has been pretty close, and the RAC cost comparison shows the same view..

CA4F7D87-7A80-41B6-A00B-834070693DC8.png
You’re not thinking of the agri “red” diesel are you?

There are simple cost comparator spreadsheets around for petrol v diesel costs, I’ve even seen some for NZ which include the RUC component. 
Back to the original question @qube do you have anywhere you can charge an EV, either at home or work or somewhere else you spend a period of time? Free charging at work is the best option 😁

I'm thinking back in the 2000s certainly very much before  2010! The gap did close as this shows...but the "Diesel takeover" was well established by 2012. I had the Mark V back in 05? 06? 

Anyway, even if they were the same price per litre...the MPG was the star...that 48 / 50 MPG could be hit easily. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1