Sign in to follow this  
Cammsport

E39 radiator. Which is better?

Hi all. Battling through the 'resto' of my E39 touring. Doing the usual M52 maintenance as well. I noticed the radiator is the built-in-expansion-tank type that I'd only ever seen on 318tis'.

Screenshot_20220110-220032_Chrome.jpg.372e17e0e6d035a004181e86f98a8363.jpg

I've seen other 6 cylinder E39s with the separate expansion tank that mounts to the shroud.

Screenshot_20220110-220106_Chrome.jpg.0e8415cac0ac2efe7acaa8e1b05cbe9f.jpg

My question is, is one better than the other? The built-in version is the same height and thickness but is 520mm wide vs 650mm. I can't seem to find much talk of it in the forums. I'll be replacing all of the cooling components bar the radiator if there's no gain from swapping. 

Thanks everyone! 

Both have their positives and negatives but prefer the older style myself purely from ease of working on\access point of view. I wouldn't think you could use the newer setup without fiddling around with the wiring\plugs and coolant lines given the M52TU\M54 is different from your M52    

• Like 1

Not sure which ones but alot of 328s have the top set up, mine does. I think it's a nz new vs Japan but not sure 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 7:58 PM, Gaz said:

Not sure which ones but alot of 328s have the top set up, mine does. I think it's a nz new vs Japan but not sure 

Awesome, cheers for that. Ever had any issues? 

12 hours ago, Cammsport said:

Awesome, cheers for that. Ever had any issues? 

No apart from it is leaking at the moment, am going to a m3 self bleeding setup for no other reason than preparing for future mods

I have the same (top one) in my coupe. Just started seeping out of the bottom of the expansion tank. Looks like there is a washer or two able to be replaced?

Edited by Palazzo
Auto correct…